In a recent lecture, Peter used Cinema Condos to illustrate a point about what not to do.

There isn't a recording of any of his lectures anywhere I could easily access, are there? I wanted to see his last lecture in Galt and I wasn't able to make it, ironically because of a studio project.

See 21:10. All he says is that if the city will allow a well designed above-ground parking podium to be built, it sets a precedent for above-ground parking podiums in general that may have worse design.

its insinuated that it is a bad way to do above ground parking.

above ground TPA parking has always been allowed however (as illustrated by the multiple above ground TPA garages around the city), so the one comment he does make about it is incorrect.

It's quite clear Peter was talking about aesthetics here.

As for my suggestion of aA--yes aA could've done a fantastic job using red brick to disguise a parking garage podium with a tower on top--think the dD & Market Wharf examples for starters.

Cinema Tower simply looks out of place--it belongs in some suburban Florida hell.

Cinema Tower simply looks out of place--it belongs in some suburban Florida hell.

Are you aware that there is not a single condo in all the Florida peninsula that does remotely resemble Cinema Tower? Do you have any clue of what are you talking about or you just like to hit the reply button? Do you check the validity of your statements before posting or you like to do it just for the sake of the post counter?

It's quite clear Peter was talking about aesthetics here.

As for my suggestion of aA--yes aA could've done a fantastic job using red brick to disguise a parking garage podium with a tower on top--think the dD & Market Wharf examples for starters.

Florida wishes they had towers like this. Most condos in Florida are surrounded by tall fences and barbed wire. It's like a military compound at most of them. It's basically all gated communities down there.

I don't think it's that bad. Just the damn entrance that's atrocious. The restaurant has helped this building out a lot too. It's nicely done. aA would have built something pretty forgettable here. My firm of the moment is HP. So much variety. Whereas aA is so easily identifiable.

Are you aware that there is not a single condo in all the Florida peninsula that does remotely resemble Cinema Tower? Do you have any clue of what are you talking about or you just like to hit the reply button? Do you check the validity of your statements before posting or you like to do it just for the sake of the post counter?

Maybe you should think before you post. I think urbandreamer was referring to the orange base material. Which also reminds me of Florida condos. Most which surround my property outside of Tampa. I don't think he's saying there's anything EXACTLY like Cinema Tower (thank god).

The only person rushing to hit the reply button is you. Begging the question: why are you so defensive about bad architecture?

The podium on this thing is a monumental embarrassment.

People coming to Toronto from New York and London to go to the film festival LAUGH OUT LOUD at how bad the entrance to the lobby is. Deal with it.

Back