I find the subtle curves of the tower tasteful, and I actually like the orange strip going up the building. When seen clearly, it looks modern and clean. So I don't think the building as a whole is a write off. But I do have major problems with the inelegance of the podium. It's entirely without grace and subtlety.

Ruined by spandrel. The way some of the curves meet one another is clumsy. It's missing a crown that accentuates the curves. Generally, I prefer the podium over the tower eventhough I agree with all that has been said about it. The tower is that bad.

Has anyone heard how Grasett Park is coming along? I haven't heard anything since the design competition closed a few months back and I thought that the results were coming out this month. Be nice to get this started before TIFF to breakup all the concrete pavers here! Any insight is appreciated :)

I must say that i've enjoyed Montecito a few times now. It feels more like a classic American bar and it targets a slightly more mature crowd. They spin some good classic tunes too! It's a nice alternative in the area to the typical area pub/club.

I know they had a website set up for the competition and someone mentioned to me this morning that they already announced the 9 submissions last week at the Montecito with all the politicians and stakeholders, but I've just been waiting to find out what it looks like. But my contact did say mid-April we will find out. I guess this isn't as flashy as the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal but it will be nice to see this corner with green so we can stop all those people saying how awful it looks. I've been like, "this isn't finished yet, just wait until it's completed and have some faith people".

http://www.grasettpark.com

Saturday, April 25:

IMG_7160.jpg

IMG_7169.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7160.jpg
    IMG_7160.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 1,392
  • IMG_7169.jpg
    IMG_7169.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 1,411
Brian Persaud has done some work looking into the value of units in this building. Apparently it was so aggressively priced before construction that many of the units have seen little increase in value years later. In one case, someone who had bought pre-construction actually lost money in a recent sale.

Investors took a trashing with this one. Festival Tower is a nice building and has a lot of nice features...and many investors even lost money there. This one was more expensive, not as nice and investors lost way more. Building is full of overpriced tiny units. Shame since the suite finishes are top notch. Everything else is a disappointment. I expect this story to play out in a number of high priced projects that will be coming onto the market in the coming years.

Artscape's live theatre space in the base of Cinema Tower is still having its interiors fitted.

DSC03266.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03266.jpg
    DSC03266.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 820
I had a peak inside last week and was reminded what a great venue this is with a large mezzanine wrapping around a level floored open space suitable for exhibits and films/live performances with seating capacity for around 500. Should be interesting to see how it is used for TIFF. It'll also be interesting to see how much of the glazing can be opened up to the generous sidewalk space for open air events. Well done Artscape!

Back