The city of Toronto loses the opportunity for lots of family housing and a pretty interesting building to break up the monotony of CityPlace.

I don't have a lot of trust in CityPlace residents who displayed depressing attitudes towards normal, hard-working citizens. It's true, this building could end up better in the end. But I think the original was a sharp looking building with lots of potential.

I dont like the idea of balconies at all... If it were a typical condominium there would more then likely being a newer building have condo codes that would not allow for junk to be placed on the balcony. Most of the newer towers have balconies that are well kept because of restrictive rules to make the building maintain a good image for resale purposes. However if its affordable housing what incentive would there be for keeping the balconies clean? Think of the countless apartment buildings in the suburbs with balconies with old couches hockey bags, old appliances and that sort of stuff in plain view. This is not what downtown wants or needs. Itll mae the building stick out like a soar thumb.

If you were to review my posts, you would see that I do not normally comment on matters spelling or gramatical. Your post, however, moves me to comment. An editorial rewrite could be:

...If it were a typical condominium, there would more than likely, being a new building, have condo codes that would not allow junk to be placed on the balcony. Most of the newer towers have balconies that are well kept because of restrictive rules to make the building maintain a good image for resale purposes. However, if its affordable housing, what incentive would there be for keeping the balconies clean? Think of the countless apartment buildings in the suburbs with balconies with old couches, hockey bags, old appliances, and that sort of stuff in plain view. This is not what downtown wants or needs. Itll It'll mae make the building stick out like a soar sore thumb.

AHK

Last edited:
I dont like the idea of balconies at all... If it were a typical condominium there would more then likely being a newer building have condo codes that would not allow for junk to be placed on the balcony. Most of the newer towers have balconies that are well kept because of restrictive rules to make the building maintain a good image for resale purposes. However if its affordable housing what incentive would there be for keeping the balconies clean? Think of the countless apartment buildings in the suburbs with balconies with old couches hockey bags, old appliances and that sort of stuff in plain view. This is not what downtown wants or needs. Itll mae the building stick out like a soar thumb.

Um, apartment buildings also have to impress prospective renters, so your point makes no sense. Tenants can have pride in where they live too you know.

I'm glad to hear it's going back to the drawing board. The balconies on the proposal made the building look a bit too "messy" for me.

I am glad the project is going back to the drawing board as there is too much issues involved in this project. I just hope they can utilized this property without alienate the neighbors. I am sure other readers of this post will make big deal what i just said because i am a Westone owner, but why wouldn't I glad since this this be better for the owners. I am not against the building, but I hope they can built it so it can utilize the actual space rather then just going vertical. This will make everyone happy. I hope they will built more Community facility such as basketball/tennis, gym etc for students and citizens.

Aside from Black 31, City should put more money to built the area with more subsidized business around the area to revitalized/enhance the neighborhood and most important of all the TTC relief line to Pearson airport should start building (which supposedly should have a Subway station right at the Main sales office area of Ciy place) to increase the the growth the city and reduce traffic that will go to the school/Libary at block 31 and all the resident of all City Place.

I heard of a new mayor candidate is Pro TTC expansion, i would love to vote him/Her

and most important of all the TTC relief line to Pearson airport should start building (which supposedly should have a Subway station right at the Main sales office area of Ciy place)
I've heard nothing about the line having a stop at where the CityPlace sales centre currently resides. Where'd you hear that?

just Google TTC relief line, and click on "Image" you will see a stop call "John/Rogers center" or the "Spadina South" after union.

if they Speed this up there will be various part of the City flourish with business opportunities and increase property value and reduce traffic. This will also increase employments from the project it self but also the business that will start to grow around the stations, not to mention the the building that will start to built (more jobs).

TO has the worst public transportation of the modern cities that I been to. It is sad.
TO was rated the one of the worst traffic of many cities.

TO has the worst public transportation of the modern cities that I been to. It is sad.
TO was rated the one of the worst traffic of many cities.

Every major city in the world receives substantial funding assistance for their mass transit from their respective upper levels of government - all that is except Toronto.

Toronto has to do it alone. Down-loading from the Mike Harris days.

The Province had promised 4 Billion dollars for transit then pulled it back in their most recent budget (feeding the anti-Toronto sentiment in the rest of the province)

Don't worry though, they promise they will give it to us in 4 years - I'm sure we can trust them this time - let's just make sure they aren't in office then.

just Google TTC relief line, and click on "Image" you will see a stop call "John/Rogers center" or the "Spadina South" after union.

if they Speed this up there will be various part of the City flourish with business opportunities and increase property value and reduce traffic.
Sorry, I know this is off-topic. I wouldn't get my hopes up for this to happen. There is no actual official plan for a relief line at this time. At least not by the TTC. Nor any funding. There has been a few discussions but I doubt (hoping I'm wrong) we'll see that happen within the next 15-20 years.

Renderings

Showing MJMA's current proposal (pre-redesign):

source: http://www.mjmarchitects.com/?mid=Block31&node_srl=2497

Aerial.jpg

brunel2.jpg

FortYorkBoul3.jpg

Balcony_ground.jpg

The renders do look interesting, I am a owner in West One so I do have more of a personal investment in how this area develops in the next decade. I for one am open to adding some diversity to our neighbourhood, hopefully this development and the mixed income project for block 32 and 36 will also bring some business diversity and maybe bring down the cost of living expenses in the area, all the venders we currently have in the area right now are high end operators. Plus It will also bring a more of a community feel that is currently missing at City Place, especially with more community facilities (Library, School, Community Center).

I think a lot of the anger are from people who feel that they have worked very hard, saved and sacrificed to be able to purchase units in the City Place developments. A lot of the owners are first generation immigrants who came to this country with nothing and made a life for themselves and their children. They feel rightly or wrongly that the TCHC developments are offering a similar level of accommodation to people who haven't made the same commitments or sacrifices.

It is not entirely classicism (although that certainly plays a part), City Place isn't exactly the ivory towers here in Toronto. In most cases a lot of the owners themselves are lower middle class singles or young couples that doesn't reap any benefits to these developments and feel that their tax dollars are being spent on developments that doesn’t benefit them. These are the people who are most upset in these developments, precisely base they have so much of what they have worked for is invested into their suites.

The City / TCHC need to specifically target their campaign to these people, really sell them on what is in it for them in these developments.

The renders do look interesting, I am a owner in West One so I do have more of a personal investment in how this area develops in the next decade. I for one am open to adding some diversity to our neighbourhood, hopefully this development and the mixed income project for block 32 and 36 will also bring some business diversity and maybe bring down the cost of living expenses in the area, all the venders we currently have in the area right now are high end operators. Plus It will also bring a more of a community feel that is currently missing at City Place, especially with more community facilities (Library, School, Community Center).

I think a lot of the anger are from people who feel that they have worked very hard, saved and sacrificed to be able to purchase units in the City Place developments. A lot of the owners are first generation immigrants who came to this country with nothing and made a life for themselves and their children. They feel rightly or wrongly that the TCHC developments are offering a similar level of accommodation to people who haven't made the same commitments or sacrifices.

It is not entirely classicism (although that certainly plays a part), City Place isn't exactly the ivory towers here in Toronto. In most cases a lot of the owners themselves are lower middle class singles or young couples that doesn't reap any benefits to these developments and feel that their tax dollars are being spent on developments that doesn’t benefit them. These are the people who are most upset in these developments, precisely base they have so much of what they have worked for is invested into their suites.

The City / TCHC need to specifically target their campaign to these people, really sell them on what is in it for them in these developments.

So these owners aren't worried about poor people hurting they're property values, they just disgree that poor people also need a place to live? Disgusting.

Crimson, I would agree with you more if these developments had not been planned long ago, before people purchased in the towers nearby. The plan has been available to anyone who was interested for a very long time, since the 1990's at least.

Crimson, I would agree with you more if these developments had not been planned long ago, before people purchased in the towers nearby. The plan has been available to anyone who was interested for a very long time, since the 1990's at least.

Again I would like to make it clear that I support these developments. However from the point of view of your average owner, the "plan" which has been available to anyone who was interested for a very long time, has called for the development of a 7 storey affordable housing building, as well as a day care, a school, and a community centre. That is obviously vastly different than a massive 41 storey tower which was announced after the vast majority of the city place buildings have been built. They feel that the city and TCHC are trying to pull a fast one now that the area has become developed with their capital investment.

So these owners aren't worried about poor people hurting they're property values, they just disgree that poor people also need a place to live? Disgusting.

I think that's a pretty quick knee jerk reaction, the issue isn't about "poor people" having a place to live, there are incredible number of affordable housing developments in Toronto right now, the regent park development alone will have in excess of a dozen current and future TCHC buildings. Also if you have noticed, there has been no opposition to the planned block 32 and 36 developments which contain a significant amount of affordable housing.

The owners in City Place are more unhappy with change to the scale and nature of this particular development. Again if the city had made it clear that this was going to be a 41 storey affordable housing building in block 32 before West One, N1, Montage, Luna, and now Parade was sold and built, there would be no issue. The problem is that the general feeling is that the City and TCHC waited untill the "Paying Customers" put up the capital to build up this neighbourhood and now wants to reap the benefits. If the city was committed to this area and the affordable housing model, they should have built the TCHC Buildings, the library, school and community centres first.

In any case I see any additions to the overall diversty of my neighbourhood to be a strength, but I do understand why a lot of owners would be unhappy with this development.

Last edited:

Back