July 9 2011 update

IMG_1151.jpg

it would be kinda weird crossing that bridge... there's absolutely nothing on the north side once you get there from cityplace. front street is completely barren in that area. i don't even think there's a sidewalk on that side of the street (south) where the bridge meets front.

i wonder what the city's plans are for that area... i know there have been many rumours here of the entire globe and mail site being redeveloped...

I almost bought a townhouse on Portland St. with this bridge being one of the reasons. I think the most important issues is that it connects this neighborhood to the lake. Both Spadiana and Bathurst are horrible to walk/ride down vs. walking over an attractive bridge with no cars and through a park to get there. Front St. and Lakeshore the main obstacles left but are relatively pleasant. This bridge will make the whole King West area feel closer to the lake. It's a short walk from Front to King here and Wellington is already becoming a destination itself.
Unfortunately Front is a main road and I doubt it would become a pedestrian destination itself. But it is possible the presence of this bridge *could* change that. But even if it doesn't the link is more than enough to be considered successful.

I almost bought a townhouse on Portland St. with this bridge being one of the reasons. I think the most important issues is that it connects this neighborhood to the lake. Both Spadiana and Bathurst are horrible to walk/ride down vs. walking over an attractive bridge with no cars and through a park to get there. Front St. and Lakeshore the main obstacles left but are relatively pleasant. This bridge will make the whole King West area feel closer to the lake. It's a short walk from Front to King here and Wellington is already becoming a destination itself.
Unfortunately Front is a main road and I doubt it would become a pedestrian destination itself. But it is possible the presence of this bridge *could* change that. But even if it doesn't the link is more than enough to be considered successful.

Lots of reasons to get to the other side of the tracks. There is planned a Whole Foods Grocery Store at Front/Bathurst, and who knows what could happen in the Globe and Mail site - which is massive. The north side of Front is going to change dramatically in the next 5-7 years.

I guess they're building the supports to get ready to pour the ramp down on top of the columns?

IMG_9837.JPG

Back