Though I live in a little house with a little garden on a little street I have no problem with highrise districts like City Place, having lived in a highrise apartment myself many years ago; it is a perfectly valid way of living. My trendy gentrified downtown residential neighbourhood is as quiet as the grave most of the time during weekdays when everyone's at work and the kids are at school, and if highrise dwellers want to live in their little boxes in the sky good luck to them.

As for the bridge ... it looks pretty good, so far.

The bridge looks spectacular in person.

Cityplace also has an independent coffee shop (which is so much better than starbucks in my opinion), a japanese restaurant, and a soon to come Liberty Shawarma. A new pharmacy is opening up as well.

People calling it suburban sound like hateful hipsters/hippies, really. A community where the vast majority of the people walk to the grocery store, coffee shop, etc. on a regular basis, that's minutes walk from the financial district, served by a streeetcar line, etc. is in no way suburban.

It has a corporate feel and it isn't an attraction, but that's about as much criticism you can give without coming across as a very bitter person.

When did they open a Japanese Restaurant in Cityplace???

People calling it suburban sound like hateful hipsters/hippies, really. A community where the vast majority of the people walk to the grocery store, coffee shop, etc. on a regular basis, that's minutes walk from the financial district, served by a streeetcar line, etc. is in no way suburban.

It has a corporate feel and it isn't an attraction, but that's about as much criticism you can give without coming across as a very bitter person.
Blow it off as hateful if you want, but I maintain that we should demand more of the city.

There are elements that are undeniably suburban, particularly in terms of the pedestrian realm: the streets are too wide. A six-lane highway bisects it. We've already set a precedent for disconnected high-rise neighbourhoods, and they didn't turn out well.

To their credit, most people who choose to live here seem to enjoy it, and the retail is doing pretty well on Bremner and Fort York Blvd. But retail isn't a magic cure to suburbanism and the demographics don't bode well. I think the key to avoiding ghettoization over the next generation will be to establish connections across the railway and through Fort York, which is already happening. Also, the streetcar ROW through Fort York Blvd would be great. The fact that the city is designing neighbourhoods like the West Donlands and East Bayfront gives Cityplace a pretty bright future.

Last edited:
Not to nit pick Grey, but if a six-lane highway bisecting CityPlace makes it suburban, then Chinatown, and everything else along Spadina, is suburban.

Truth is that once the Signature tower goes in, the corner of Spadina and Bremner will feel significantly different. Imagine if Signature is built out to the sidewalks on all sides, and 90% retail frontage. And a higher-ceilinged main floor than what we have seen otherwise in CityPlace. That could go a long way to ameliorating the lacklustre pedestrian realm created by the unimaginative planning of the surrounding buildings.

Parte dos

Pics taken Aug 11, 2011

hzrhC.jpg

5q42Q.jpg

k2Fz8.jpg

p0oWl.jpg

I looked back in the thread...but couldn't find it. How did this bridge get such a Spanish name in Toronto? Can someone explain it to me...love Spanish names so not against it, just curious.

Not to nit pick Grey, but if a six-lane highway bisecting CityPlace makes it suburban, then Chinatown, and everything else along Spadina, is suburban.

Truth is that once the Signature tower goes in, the corner of Spadina and Bremner will feel significantly different. Imagine if Signature is built out to the sidewalks on all sides, and 90% retail frontage. And a higher-ceilinged main floor than what we have seen otherwise in CityPlace. That could go a long way to ameliorating the lacklustre pedestrian realm created by the unimaginative planning of the surrounding buildings.

My only problem with this theory is Cityplace's insistence on leaving Signature until last. When real estate cycles end they tend to take a decade to revive. Why dont they just get on with it? They dont need to keep that Sales centre going. Something samller would work fine.

I looked back in the thread...but couldn't find it. How did this bridge get such a Spanish name in Toronto? Can someone explain it to me...love Spanish names so not against it, just curious.

Spanish names sound sexier, Toronto's nickname is El Toro afterall. The bridge looks great and has quite the impact for a pedestrian walkway. Not big on the choice of colour, I thought is was the primer.

Two Streetcar lines bisecting this community from north to south, and east to west, is hardly suburban, and thus the name calling here is illogical.

Also with the completion of the bridges over the rail tracks and new connections under the expressway the connectivity of the overall community will improve. Topped off with social services, and retail, and connections to the lake, won't be that bad at all.

Love the bridge, it will connect two communities well. Also hate when people bash Cityplace, I think they are jelous and wish they lived here. And people calling it suburban are stupid really, if you want suburban look at scarborough, north york, etobicoke not to mention horrible 905, it funny because the people bashing Cityplace are from these areas and dont understand URBAN living, I guess different stroke for different folks.

Im never too busy for your refferals!
Come be with the best forget the rest!

Back