DSC09065.jpg

Jeez that looks horrible!

At street level, this newer structure certainly does not appear to have any of the charm of the older buildings. Too bad.

Actually the pictures don't do it it justice. Looks much better in person. Wait until its fully done and the shops are active and there's people wandering about.

I've never noticed those ghetto looking brown brick buildings before.
Besides those, that's an awesome photo.

Why are there so many ghetto-like 1960s,1970s buildings all over Toronto.Its like having Cityplace everywhere.

People had to do something during the 60s and 70s, so they built ghettos. Didn't you get any school-learning into you?

PS Oh yeah - plus there was all that immigration from all over the world to our fast-growing city, and people needed places to live. Transit and land use policies across the area meant that apartment blocks made a fair bit of sense here, so those buildings actually mean that we got way less sprawl than we would have otherwise.

Do you wish there was more sprawl?

No, i just wish the buildings were built in the 20s and 30s.
Yep, good idea, they could have built them during the Great Depression - possibly avoiding it completely - and then mothballed them until there were people around to fill them up.

Personally I wish they were built in the 18th or early 19th century so we could look more like a European city. :)

What I'd really like to know is how much longer some of the older ones will remain up? I mean no building is built to last forever. Of course now, the age of current buildings going up will be higher than that of older buildings.
Maybe this is a question for a seperate topic.

Back