Because of their unique and historic nature. And the fact that you have to ask why, speaks volumes as to your priorities.

It is a practical observation based on my last visit there a few days ago, and is little different from the practical observations posted on this thread by others who are familiar with the Dstillery. You really should open your eyes and deal with what's in the real world rather than the theoretical world that exists only in your head. Why not visit the Distillery and see for yourself what the rest see?

A bit misleading since there are quite a few people who disagree. I've been to the Distillery many times and I can't say the tower doesn't have a significant effect. Two more on the other end, with at least one of them being even larger will have a very significant impact.

Getting a little touchy, aren't we? Others - notably Tewder, Parkdalian, grey and junctionist - have recently addressed the myth ( and the false choice it presents ) that because the Distillery has old buildings it must not also have buildings that are taller than them, so I need not add to their excellent posts.

Hey, why we are at it, lets knock down part of old city hall and put up a big tall condo tower. It will serve as a beacon so you can see where old city hall (or whats left of it) is from far way. And besides, up close, you really won't notice it.

What? You want to preserve it (and its character) as much as you can? Obviously you just want to turn it into a museum/are afraid of tall towers.

Does the Distillery need a signpost? Assuming it does, I'd argue this collection of 30-40 storey towers doesn't fit the bill.

What could be finer as a view terminus to the Esplanade than the Three Graces of the Distillery - the first already built, and her two lovely sisters arrayed behind her? While they beckon us to come thither, Market Wharf will call to these beguiling sirens from the far end of the Ramblas ... I mean the Esplanade ... rather like sassy Madame X flirting with the handsome Mr. Casa.

Hey, why we are at it, lets knock down part of old city hall and put up a big tall condo tower. It will serve as a beacon so you can see where old city hall (or whats left of it) is from far way. And besides, up close, you really won't notice it.

What? You want to preserve it (and its character) as much as you can? Obviously you just want to turn it into a museum/are afraid of tall towers.

Here we go again, reviving the same tired old arguments - linking buildings, sites, uses and histories in different parts of town that aren't interchangeable ( Gooderham & Worts was a commercial site, not a seat of government, it was disused not actively in use, and linking the windowless hulk of Rack House 'M' to the Lennox City Hall speaks to the desperation of alklay's cause ... ), and false choices - that I thought we disposed of a few years ago on this thread.

You are failing to grasp the larger concepts: the preservation of historic character. The very fact that old city hall and the distillery are so different (and served very different uses) strengthens the arguement that both should be approached with care and respect for what they were, Rack House and all.

The Rack House wasn't protected, as has been pointed out on this thread some time ago. It didn't equate to, say, the campanile of Old City Hall. It didn't even equate to the other buildings on the Distillery site.

We all know the Rack House was not protected: it was knocked down for a condo. An unfortunate loss.

Only to you, ganja and syn. Nobody else, at any level of government or in "heritage", lifted a finger or made a murmur about it as far as I know.

Back