Pics taken this afternoon. This is coming along quite nicely IMO. The area had a nice light bustle today...

Excellent captures casaguy. I can't wait to get down there on my bike see this first hand, this project is coming along great.

Edit: Weren't the balconies supposed to be angled differently at staggered levels? I don't see that in the photos

TD Bank was the rumour.

There's one oddity I've noticed in walking by. Check out photo number one. Top left of the building. Four of the upper floors have different colour (opaque) glass. Wonder why?

Thanks for the photos Casa. I went through the District briefly and was heartened to see the crowds. And I'm gradually coming to see this building as a great addition to the district. It treats Mill Street like something other than an access road, and creates internal spaces that will complement those in the District.

The distillery district sure would be an interesting location to live, I mean with all that noise from rail services but I suppose the trade off would be the view from high up.....no more real actors? You mean only cartoons? You are most likely correct BB.

Weren't the balconies supposed to be angled differently at staggered levels? I don't see that in the photos

That will happen on the Clear Spirits (and Gooderham?) buildings.

As much as I like how Pure Spirit has turned out... I was really hoping it would turn out more like the earlier renders... (or are these earlier renders for the other two towers that are still to come?)

distillery-district_2.jpg
distillery-district_7.jpg

The Clear Spirit model in the sales centre, however, is of the gently undulating tower that bulges out in the midsection - so that's the look people are apparently buying.

How unusual to have one firm making over our skyline in this way. How fortunate we are that it is such a good one.

Very fortunate, unlike Edmonton, which had to endure 5 towers built with the exact same crappy design:

1999 - Lord Strathcona Manor
279996.jpg

2000 - Grandin Manor
179556.jpg

2004 - Grand Central Manor - They even got so lazy (or creative) they stopped putting the accent brick on one of three towers
186858.jpg

I would tend to think that Safdie's influence on Pearson's renovation has been overstated. As a look at SOM's terminal 4 at JFK confirms the Pearson job definitely came straight out of their "large international airport" catalogue.

At the other airport with a Safdie/SOM collaboration, the stunning Ben-Gurion in Tel Aviv, 'ol Moishe's role is a lot clearer.

Back