Peter Clewes Interview

John Bentley Mays interviewed Peter Clewes in this morning's G & M...

A resounding vote against contextualism

JOHN BENTLEY MAYS

From Friday's Globe and Mail

April 18, 2008 at 12:00 AM EDT

You can't go far in downtown Toronto without running into a tall building by architect Peter Clewes. He is a disciplined mid-career modernist, not (so far) a member of the tribe of avant-garde designers now dotting important North American cities with highly expressive, individualistic towers.

But over the past few years, Mr. Clewes (often in collaboration with his architectsAlliance colleague, the late Adrian DiCastri) has brought inner Hogtown home buyers much more affordable sophistication and intelligent art than we had before his time.

The old Gooderham and Worts distillery site, east of Parliament Street, is the focus of some of Mr. Clewes's most inventive new projects. This cluster of 45 brick buildings is one of North America's best-preserved groups of 19th-century industrial architecture. To transform this isolated place into a neighbourhood, and make it something better than a theme park, the developers who now own it decided, a few years back, to drop condo stacks into the Victorian layout — which is where Mr. Clewes came into the picture.

"The challenge of the site was the insertion of a sufficient amount of density, to revitalize a national historic site," this intense and talented architect told me in a conversation at the old distillery. "Density was needed to provide the financial horsepower to do that. How do you put in between a million and 1.5 million square feet of density in a way that has regard for the way this site is reinventing itself?"

The three towers, and especially the new corridors and intervals they define on the ground, are the architect's answers to this key question.

"They are wraparound buildings that are sculpted," Mr. Clewes said. "There's no deeper idea than that. They are simple, neutral buildings. But for us, what's important is always the spaces between the buildings, instead of the buildings themselves. There is a kind of hierarchy and progression in the spaces around the buildings.

"Trinity Street [which bisects the pedestrian district] is the principal axis. Then there are a series of thin lanes woven through the site, then a series of courts — residual sites between the buildings that can be inhabited. The bases [of the towers] are very open and transparent to allow 'publicness' to happen in a modern way. There isn't an idea of closed buildings. I think it's pretty cool, and it's coming along nicely."

Some years ago, when the Distillery District was under different management, three condominium blocks of a more conventional variety went up in the vicinity. The designers laboured hard to make the facades of these projects fit in among the weathered, attractively worn brick Victorian structures. So why not go along with critics who argue for more of such contextualism, a closer visual match of new buildings to old ones?

"Because they're wrong," Mr. Clewes said. "We need to create buildings of our time. Architecture is a record of where a city and a culture was at a particular time. This precinct is an industrial artifact, a social presence within the culture of Canada. It's important that we not blur the distinctiveness of this precinct, but rather amplify it. The exceptions in the urban framework articulate the city. The [earlier three towers, built before architectsAlliance's involvement] speak of a time in Toronto when people said, 'Let's be apologetic, let's say we're not inserting additional density in this precinct.' This isn't what we should do now."

Of the Distillery District buildings Mr. Clewes has worked on, the last two, especially, have been shortened by command of city officials. The architect has little patience for what he calls Toronto's "visceral reaction against height. It's a neurosis. But this is a very political world, and we have to have regard for that process, then come up with the best architectural solution we can."

At the present time, the most advanced tide of tall-building design is running against the squared-off glass and steel solutions Mr. Clewes and other classic modernists are providing. Many wealthy condo-buyers want glamorous, dramatic signature towers with more striking profiles, and this taste for the ultra is rapidly filtering down to less well-to-do purchasers.

Among his favourite local examples of what he doesn't do is Chinese designer Yansong Ma's sensuously feminine Absolute development in Mississauga, nicknamed "Marilyn." Mr. Clewes recognizes the challenge of such new buildings for architects of his stripe.

"There's the rise of the middle class and the importance of the individual. If you go to the "Marilyn" towers, you see they come from the desire of the middle class to be recognized as important, with something that has an individualized expression. You see that in Manhattan now. They're hiring rock-star architects to do one-off residential buildings — Herzog & de Meuron on Bond Street, Jean Nouvel in Soho. Are we prepared to go as a far as "Marilyn?" It's been a big debate in my mind. The city needs all types of things."

Of the Distillery District buildings Mr. Clewes has worked on, the last two, especially, have been shortened by command of city officials. The architect has little patience for what he calls Toronto's "visceral reaction against height. It's a neurosis. But this is a very political world, and we have to have regard for that process, then come up with the best architectural solution we can."

I have to agree with him about this. Yes, there are other things than height that are important to a building's looks. But it does seem true that there is a knee-jerk reaction, of chopping a significant number of storeys off almost every tall building that gets proposed.

What was the name of that proposed condo building that was going to go just west of Shangri-La? It was about half to two-thirds the height of that building. As I recall, the City ended up rejecting the proposal, on the grounds that it 'did not fit the low-rise character of the neighbourhood' (despite being just across the street from Shangri-La). This was about a year ago. Since then, the whole district has filled up with proposals for condo buildings up to 45 storeys tall, making that rejection look increasingly nonsensical (in my opinion).

Torontoians, by and large, have given up on the fear of heights, and this seems to be a myth that people like Hume and Clewes cling to. The question now is deciding where the height is appropriate. Consider Aura or 1 Bloor East, where there has been little or no opposition to height. Now consider Distillery, the waterfront, the ROM Tour Thorsell, or St. Michael's College, where opposition has been because these areas have a special significance to many.

Now Stintzland remains a different story, but even there, people have calmed down.

The interview doesn't suggest that Clewes is clinging to any myths about the general population's attitude towards tall buildings though - he's just recognizing that, acting on our behalf, city officials who live in a political world and represent a certain process have commanded that buildings he's designed for the Distillery District must be shortened.

Indeed, he goes on to point out the appeal of starchitect condo towers, and "Marilyn", to middle class buyers seeking buildings that stand out against context rather than fit into it - and he acknowledges that he's debating the merits of such an approach for his own work - thus facing reality, not perpetuating myths.

I'm glad he continues to talk up the importance of the spaces between buildings. Mays refers to such spaces at the Distillery District ( "the new corridors and intervals they define on the ground " ), and they're a good example of how the existing character of the site is being expanded by building new additions to it.

Some years ago, when the Distillery District was under different management, three condominium blocks of a more conventional variety went up in the vicinity. The designers laboured hard to make the facades of these projects fit in among the weathered, attractively worn brick Victorian structures.

But they failed miserably. Those three condo towers are blights in the neighbourhood and make no attempt to "fit in" other than having similar coloured brick. But it doesn't mean that Clewes' position is automatically correct. His additions to the neighbourhood are just adding further damage. His standard "fear of heights", "theme park" comments do nothing to convince the reader that his three glass towers are preferrable to having several of these sort of buildings added to the neighbourhood:

picSMozoPR.gif

So... you disagree with his position that new construction should fit its place in time in order to accentuate the historic buildings, rather than build a faux-historic mish-mash just to fit in and blur/damage the historic nature of the neighbourhood?

Also, I don't think a few Mozos (also aA, FYI) would satisfy the developer's density requirements in order to turn a profit on the project. That was part of the challenge mentioned at the beginning of the article.

Mays, not Clewes, uses the expression "theme park".

Clewes talks of the "visceral reaction against height" in the context of the neurotic behaviour of city officials. He sees the earlier three towers as examples of what an "apologetic" approach can do. He contrasts that approach with the idea of amplifying the historical nature of the district by putting up buildings that are of our time, and I don't see how any sensible reader could fail to be convinced by that - particularly given his track record of designing handsome, critically-acclaimed contemporary buildings.

The question now is deciding where the height is appropriate. Consider Aura or 1 Bloor East, where there has been little or no opposition to height. Now consider Distillery, the waterfront, the ROM Tour Thorsell, or St. Michael's College, where opposition has been because these areas have a special significance to many. .
Sean, other than on this message board has there really been that much opposition to the proposed condo towers for the Distillery District? From what I recall, local residents and businesses were welcoming them.

Mays, not Clewes, uses the expression "theme park".

Clewes talks of the "visceral reaction against height" in the context of the neurotic behaviour of city officials. He sees the earlier three towers as examples of what an "apologetic" approach can do. He contrasts that approach with the idea of amplifying the historical nature of the district by putting up buildings that are of our time, and I don't see how any sensible reader could fail to be convinced by that - particularly given his track record of designing handsome, critically-acclaimed contemporary buildings.

Again with the "you disagree with my opinion so you are ignorant and wrong" remark. At least it's a bit more polite this time, but the meaning is still there.

Sean: ganja, not I, introduced the concept of convincing 'the reader' of his point of view - and misquoted Clewes ( 'theme park' was by Mays ), and interpreted Clewes's specific comments about city officials as some sort of standard 'fear of heights' argument, in making his case.

Setting aside that interpretation of what Clewes said, the actual quotes that Clewes gives provide 'the reader' with another story. I'm not the only one who is convinced by it - detroitbootybass and grey have picked up on the quote 'we need to create buildings of our time' for instance. Coupled with aA's track record of producing handsome and critically-acclaimed buildings, ganja's 'the reader' and my 'sensible reader' might both find a contrarian point of view difficult to accept if based on what the article actually says.

So... you disagree with his position that new construction should fit its place in time in order to accentuate the historic buildings, rather than build a faux-historic mish-mash just to fit in and blur/damage the historic nature of the neighbourhood?

No, I disagree with the notion that this can only be accomplished with three glass skyscrapers. And I disagree with the idea that to avoid cheesy faux, we must resort to giant glass boxes. There are other options.

And I don't quite understand the "Mozo is also a Clewes" comments. I never said Clewes was evil. But his Mozo concept should have been used at the Distillery site. Not towers that are no different than all the other Clewesian towers springing up all over the city.

To me, this picture perfectly demonstrates what has been wrong with city planning in Toronto. It's just my opinion, but I think it looks utterly ridiculous.

distillery_condo.jpg

Back