I really like this project, even the balcony glass pattern. The podium looks good but I'm anxious about it's functionality; i.e. enlivening the nice lane way that's been created. Seems to be a weak spot in some of aA's designs.

Today:

6qLiw.jpg

I look at the Webcam at least weekly - I showed it to a friend recently, and their question was "How come they completed the top-half of the tower first?". I suppose the angle of the two buildings almost lines up perfectly.

Two of the new stores have opened. The angled columns are really cool close up, and I suspect they will be cooler when they are properly lit.

Yep, two stores have already opened and I hate the design of them. They contain 3 things I hate. First of all the exterior is just a flat, glass wall. (like most new condos going up right now) There is no attempt to make it distinctive, interesting or attractive. The interior walls are mainly raw concrete and the ceiling is just exposed pipes, air ducts and wires, just like the Bed, Bath And Beyond, in Aura. This raw, exposed crap on the unfinished ceiling is starting to become a trend in Toronto and we all know why. (it's the cheapest way to build a ceiling) I understand putting this in a Costco or outlet mall in suburbia, but in a downtown, somewhat upscale complex, I think it's a huge mistake. God, at least put in some brick, wooden beams and some creative lighting, if you want that raw industrial look.

Thankfully, it looks like the Gooderham will have the more traditional, historic looking retail store facades, to match the rest of the Distillery.

Last edited:
Yep, two stores have already opened and I hate the design of them. They contain 3 things I hate. First of all the exterior is just a flat, glass wall. (like most new condos going up right now) There is no attempt to make it distinctive, interesting or attractive. The interior walls are mainly raw concrete and the ceiling is just exposed pipes, air ducts and wires, just like the Bed, Bath And Beyond, in Aura. This raw, exposed crap on the unfinished ceiling is starting to become a trend in Toronto and we all know why. (it's the cheapest way to build a ceiling) I understand putting this in a Costco or outlet mall in suburbia, but in a downtown, somewhat upscale complex, I think it's a huge mistake. God, at least put in some brick, wooden beams and some creative lighting, if you want that raw industrial look.

Thankfully, it looks like the Gooderham will have the more traditional, historic looking retail store facades, to match the rest of the Distillery.

It's not.

Exposing those elements is a conscious design choice which is actually more expensive to spec than covering them up. Not only does one have to fireproof the ceiling, any exposed concrete needs to be cleaned and prepped, pipes require their own housings (these are often unique to the pipe in question, meaning that multiple different housings are required), lighting must be sited and hung, etc, etc, etc.

Or one could just toss up some plaster or acoustic tile and be done with it.

To your second point, I don't see how using wooden beams with no structural function and 'creative lighting' would transform the space into the 'raw,' 'industrial' haven you so desire. The architects are clearly interpreting the ideas underlying the existing industrial buildings without directly referencing them with inauthentic simulacra. Sure, a century ago buildings had all of these features but they're not required today so why include them? Transparent lip-service to a quainter time perhaps?

Indeed, one of the more celebrated aspects of this new crop of Distillery buildings is how aA have used things like the massing and siting of their structures to reinforce the traditional street grid in a contemporary way. In this sense, the clever interplay of old and new is a far more engaging response to the historic context than any attempt at replicating the structures (or 'look') of a bygone era.

I was down in the Distillery yesterday, and the condos looked great. The undulation of the balconies looks spectacular from below, and walking between the leaning columns is pretty amazing. The podium is well-designed and modern, but it fits the context of the Distillery. It's a more successful project from the ground and in person than the more distant photos give it credit.

The retail looks good, so I disagree with the comment above / the industrial look works great here !

Here's the best part, those angled pillars at the podium; You can walk right up to em / around em, it's great ! This really looks amazing, great focus on the details so far.

Back