8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

O

Oliver Tweed

Come See What a City Can Be

This is my suggestion for Toronto's slogan. I like it because I feel it captures the essence of the city.

What makes an urban area great?

Diverse, clean, safe (relatively), great neighbourhoods, incredible parks, beautiful body of water, big events, great nightlife and restaurants, sports, theatre, excellent liveability, good schools, great music festivals, welcoming, tolerant and on and on.

Toronto is somewhat of a utopia among North American cities, and if it doesn't quite reach that goal, it is certainly focused on reaching it. I think this slogan also alludes to the youthful energy Toronto has as a young city and the hope it fosters for the future.

Anyway, it's an idea. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Its a bit insulting to other cities (implying other cities are not what a city can be). And its a bit focused on an interest in 'cities.' Not everyone is going to care to see what a 'good' city is. They just want to have fun, be entertained and feel welcomed. Urban design professionals may care to see what 'a city can be.' I am not sure most tourists care.

"You belong here" is the perfect phrase and I wish we would have retained it (and threw away "Toronto Unlimited").

Half jokingly half seriously I like the Fulford "Accidental City" description of Toronto. You could develop a pretty funny ad campaign around a slogan like that.

Tdot: I'd go quite the opposite, with a little vanity. Something like, "the world's newest great city". Has that been done before? I'm not sure if I made it up or heard it. Hopefully the former.

I think New York or London can afford to be self-effacing, but Toronto really can't. People don't have enough of an established view of the city as impressive. I think You Belong Here was a great slogan.

I like it too! Though for a self-effacing slogan, "Make of it what you will," would be just as good... :p

I think it was Forbes magazine that called us "the world's newest great city" something over a decade ago. I really liked the "You belong here" campaign too. I think it was the baby thrown out with the bathwater; for some reason the powers that be linked it with SARS, when I don't think "You belong here" was well enough established to be linked with SARSville at all.

Who's running this town?

Someone posted the Toronto You Belong Here video on my YouTube group... I thought it was pretty well done.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1nR_Cox_A

Something like, "the world's newest great city". Has that been done before?

This is Hong Kong's slogan...

e_name.gif

I think it's the boldest slogan I've ever seen, but the "world city" designation is debatable. Tokyo is more of a world city than HK, and some might argue that cities like Seoul, Shanghai, Taipei and Singapore are on the same level as HK. Still, as a person from HK, I'm quite proud of it!

That "You Belong Here" video was very well done (although it appears it was more for domestic pride than tourists). It certainly demonstrates how well a good slogan can be used.

Somehow I just can't see as catchy a song for "Toronto Unlimited." ;)

I like "World City", so simple. How great that would have been for Toronto.

"Come see what an unlimited world class world city can be and make of it what you will, cause you belong here."

Back