I posted this very crisp view in the Toronto Skyline thread (originally posted by Drew over at SSP).

Looks fine from afar ;) .

53371632179_734a2118e3_h.jpg

Home by Devi E, on Flickr
Canada House frames this great shot nicely!!! TO does have undeniable beauty and vibe in its own not-so-glamorous way. I've experimented with my own 'little' hypothetical touches below, on a quest to imagine the perfect postcard view,...but then again no city is perfect. In the process, I dared to replace Toronto's beloved center-axle, or center-piece if you like, with something more habitable ;)

Mount Fuji in the background
TO (3).png

Not so rich without the lighting rod :)
TO (1).PNG

We need a Willis Tower look-alike in Toronto. Vietnam e.g., has its own Landmark 81...
TO (4).png

TO (2).PNG

Canada House frames this great shot nicely!!! TO does have undeniable beauty and vibe in its own not-so-glamorous way. I've experimented with my own 'little' hypothetical touches below, on a quest to imagine the perfect postcard view,...but then again no city is perfect. In the process, I dared to replace Toronto's beloved center-axle, or center-piece if you like, with something more habitable ;)

Mount Fuji in the background
View attachment 547125

Not so rich without the lighting rod :)
View attachment 547129

We need a Willis Tower look-alike in Toronto. Vietnam e.g., has its own Landmark 81...
View attachment 547131

View attachment 547132
If we had a mountain near Toronto, we probably wouldn’t be able to have as many tall buildings, probably nothing over 250m, due to height restrictions to protect the mountain sightline (eg. Vancouver and Montreal)

If we had a mountain near Toronto, we probably wouldn’t be able to have as many tall buildings, probably nothing over 250m, due to height restrictions to protect the mountain sightline (eg. Vancouver and Montreal)
Thanks for your consolation! Come to think of it, mountains come with earthquakes too.

It's all so kitschy that I'd prefer it wasn't there at all. Are they calling this their art contribution? If so, it's a new low.

Took the words out of my mouth. It's lipstick on a pig, a marketing trick that looks good on the brochures. Apart from a few decent buildings, Concord's legacy in CityPlace is mostly terrible and they should never be given a large site to develop again.

to-3-png.547125

^^ Very nice dream @cityspace ... I used to ski the little bumps of Blue Mountain and Collingwood would definitely rock with a Fuji. :)

Many moons ago I literally gave Vancouver's view cones our finger with my TorVan:

torvan copy.jpg

...I would be nervous of having Toronto located next to a volcano though. Or anywhere near shifting tectonic plates.

I suppose Toronto was different 20 years ago. Almost everyone got excited over proposals for 40+ storey condos, no matter what they looked like. And the sight of so many of them rising out of the barren former railway lands (OK, there was a mini golf course) must have been a revelation ...

20 years ago One King was under construction, the first new 150m tower in 10 years. I think 45 floor Pantageous Tower, completed a couple years before One King, was the tallest residential building since Manulife Centre in the 1970's.

40+ floors at that time was as rare for residential as a supertall is today.

Then Four Seasons, Trump, and Shangri-La were proposed and this forum debated which one would be built because surely there wasn't a market for 2 of them let alone all 3.

I read here that Kohn Pedersen Fox had a hand in designing some of the buildings but removed themselves after serious VE-ing, any chance you saved files of early design ideas?
KPF were the original authors of Parade but had their name removed when Concord and Page & Steele's cost cutting became problematic (in their eyes).

Which says a lot about what we where stuck with for the ages. And not in any good way. /sigh

And yet KPF (as discussed last year) still has Concord Sky on their website despite the problematic V-Eing we've seen (they still use their older renderings).
Perhaps they'll remove Concord Sky once the first cladding appears? 🙃

https://www.kpf.com/project/concord-sky

...I would be nervous of having Toronto located next to a volcano though. Or anywhere near shifting tectonic plates.
I have a thing about Dante's Peak but would not want to purchase property within the pyroclastic blast range. Isn't it ironic though? Cities with immense natural beauty almost always have a catch: natural disasters including hurricanes.

Back