I also don't like that they're "maintaining the yonge streetwall" which is code-word for maximizing every sellable inch possible. It would have been nice to have that forecourt and additional sidewalk space, kind of like what the EY tower has.

The original proposal also maintained the Yonge streetwall where it mattered - and the EY is in a fairly different context from this project.

AoD

I agree with Jegger. Can't the city force the developers to make corners like this pedestrian friendly? I appeal to those in the know. Is the new floor plan only tentative? I avoid this corner because it is literally unsafe during rush hours.

Everyone kept asking for a taller E&Y tower (which was KPF), maybe this sill end up satisfying that need. Height drop sucks but this will still be quite the tall one and with KPF behind it the quality should be there too.

I agree with Jegger. Can't the city force the developers to make corners like this pedestrian friendly? I appeal to those in the know. Is the new floor plan only tentative? I avoid this corner because it is literally unsafe during rush hours.

There is a heritage building at the corner - neither the original nor the current proposal wouldn't have made an iota of a difference in that regard. This intersection is probably of minimal concern relative to Yonge/Dundas where sidewalk width is a far, far greater issue.

AoD

It's not the end of the world that there is a height reduction. 10 years ago, for any condo proposal higher than 240 metres was uncharted territory. Once projects such as The One, 1-7 yonge, Sugar wharf are completed, and assuming if real estate demand still outweighs the supply, the city will be more open to 350 to 400 metres proposals. It's all part of an evolutionary process. I honestly think the quoted 299 metres does not include the parapet. YSL may still have a chance to top out 1-7 Yonge. I'd venture a guess it may reach 305 to 309 metres to the top of the parapet. Just won't hit 320 metres+ what most forumers were hoping for.

Last edited:
If this is still by KPF, I doubt it will be a stinker.

It was meant to be lighthearted. Speaking of KPF, I've become less enamoured with each project they have delivered in Toronto. I don't find any as stinkers. Parade at Cityplace does flirts the line.

^^^Couldn't Doug Ford override any war-on-the-car measure passed by Mayor Keesmaat and city council?

It's not the end of the world that there is a height reduction. 10 years ago, for any condo proposal higher than 240 metres was uncharted territory. Once projects such as The One, 1-7 yonge, Sugar wharf are completed, and assuming if real estate demand still outweighs the supply, the city will be more open to 350 to 400 metres proposals. It's all part of an evolutionary process. I honestly think the quoted 299 metres does not include the parapet. YSL may still have a chance to top out 1-7 Yonge. I'd venture a guess it may reach 305 to 309 metres to he top of the parapet. Just won't hit 320 metres+ what most forumers were hoping for.

I struggle to think of the elevator wait times in the 1000+ unit, 300 metre towers (after they start going out of service) being erected on Lake Shore East and here we are already proposing 135 storeys towers with the same 750 metre square foot floor plate.

New elevator tech is on its way. That doesn't mean Toronto developers will be quick to adapt to it.

It's not the end of the world that there is a height reduction. 10 years ago, for any condo proposal higher than 240 metres was uncharted territory. Once projects such as The One, 1-7 yonge, Sugar wharf are completed, and assuming if real estate demand still outweighs the supply, the city will be more open to 350 to 400 metres proposals.

Why on earth does the City need to experience a 300m+ building like The One or 1-7 Yonge before it finally becomes comfortable? It speaks volumes to how timid they are. If they're reducing height just because they're personally not used to buildings of 343m maybe it's time for them to be replaced. Toronto shouldn't be held hostage while waiting for them to come around.

Excuse me for being impatient but when you travel around the world to other global cities and see 600m buildings approved you just have to shake your head at how small town the mindset is here. It was proposed at 343m not 643m. Time to grow up Toronto.

^^^More melodrama and hyperbole. Supertalls and megatalls don't make a city "grown up." Conversely, a lack of them doesn't make a city "immature" or "timid." Just last week, the Economist Intelligence Unit rated Toronto the 7th best in the world, tied with Tokyo. Mercer puts us at 15, I think. Where do Shenzhen and Dubai rank, pray tell? It's just ridiculous to equate a city's worth with the height of its buildings.

Oh, and name one advanced democracy that's approving 600m buildings. Megatalls are just a pissing contest for autocratic regimes.

Last edited:
Excuse me for being impatient but when you travel around the world to other global cities and see 600m buildings approved you just have to shake your head at how small town the mindset is here. It was proposed at 343m not 643m. Time to grow up Toronto.

Zzzzzzz ...... time to change the record

Back