News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Delurking...does anyone have some insight on Ward 17? I live in Palacio's ward and with the exception of a couple of small relayed stories haven't really gotten a sense of his work in the ward. The signage around the area seems to be heavily mixed between Palacio, Tony Letra (lots of signs for him along Dufferin north of St. Clair and sporadically off Davenport), and Jonah Schein.

Jonah Schein I think is an excellent candidate and has the support of Alejandra Bravo who came within 300 votes of taking out the useless Palacio. If Letra can pull more votes from Palacio than Fred Dominelli did last time, perhaps he can take it.

Any thoughts on Ward 29? Hoping Pittfield doesn't win. Likely going to be either her, Mary Fragedakis, or Jennifer Wood.

Jonah Schein I think is an excellent candidate and has the support of Alejandra Bravo who came within 300 votes of taking out the useless Palacio. If Letra can pull more votes from Palacio than Fred Dominelli did last time, perhaps he can take it.

Thanks so much for the info. Out walking along Davenport this afternoon there seemed to be more of Jonah Schein's signs (plus a boatload of new Smitherman signs) progressing into the Annex and Mihevic's ward. Letra's flyers were fairly vague in his plans for the ward compared to the competition, so I guess it will require some further digging, as to be expected.

I'm planning on going to vote tomorrow since I've already decided to vote for Smitherman, but my choice for councillor isn't quite as clear. I've been leaning towards Karen Sun all month, but Mike Layton will carry forward the Joe Pants values even though Joe himself won't be at City Hall any longer (what a shame).

Progressive Ward19 UT members: Sun or Layton? Why?

I'm planning on going to vote tomorrow since I've already decided to vote for Smitherman, but my choice for councillor isn't quite as clear. I've been leaning towards Karen Sun all month, but Mike Layton will carry forward the Joe Pants values even though Joe himself won't be at City Hall any longer (what a shame).

Progressive Ward19 UT members: Sun or Layton? Why?

OK, let me try ..

Karen Sun has more experience: in management, at City Hall, in grassroots campaigns, on municipal boards and as a volunteer. She was sitting on David Miller's Roundtable on the Environment when Mike Layton was still in university (he graduated in 2006). Mike has puffed up his credentials, but the fact is, he works an entry-level job with a good environmental organization, and that's about it.

Karen Sun's candidacy stresses local engagement, and is reaching out to the ward's grassroots communities, engaging people who do not necessarily belong to any political party. Mike's candidacy begins and ends with his ties to the local NDP establishment. Even if you usually are an NDP supporter, you can't be comfortable with the cozy relationship of this family compact. Karen Sun has all the progressive values I associate with the NDP, but none of the baggage or partisan crap. If given a choice to stand with the local grassroots or with the NDP machine, I will go with the grassroots.

MetroMan, you were at the Trinity Bellwoods debate. How many times did Mike Layton roll his eyes whenever anyone with a more conservative point of view spoke? Can you imagine him persuading more conservative councillors to endorse a progressive position on council? I can certainly imagine Karen Sun doing this, but Mike seems to prefer preaching to the converted. Mike will reliably deliver one progressive vote on council, and so will Karen. But Karen is far more likely to bring more council votes over to the progressive side.

And I don't like to bring this up, but .... It really shouldn't be so hard for progressives to choose between an accomplished and experienced visible minority woman and a less experienced white male who has been elevated through his family connections. Nepotism is not a progressive value.

^ I woke up pondering my vote and before I came on here I reached the same exact conclusion as you've outlined here. You've re-enforced my decision. Thanks! :)

I want to re-engage with city politics and a councillor that is available and willing to work at the grassroots level will best serve my goals for the next 4yrs.

Now hopefully she will have convinced more voters than McCormick. I've seen an aweful lot of his signs out there.

So Smitherman/Sun it is!

PS. I'm going to abstain re: School Board Trustee. I dont have any kids and am ill informed about the canfidates. It wouldn't be fair to vote. I'll leave it to parents who have a real invested interest in who holds that position.

Last edited:
Sun was canvassing my building today. Sbe is one hard working woman. I'll give her that. The thing is, I have only seen a little peppering of her signs throughout the ward and she had just one volunteer with her to canvass a huge building. If constituents of ward 19 went to the debates, she would win by a landslide. As it looks, McCormick and Layton are going to fight this off. Oh well, I've already voted for Sun.

Thanks for the link, watching Ward 29's now.

Btw, do let me know if you find a stream for Tuesday's debate.

Back