News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Acquisition of old properties, parking maintenance (it's a lot higher than you think), cost of construction, etc would probably require that the parking lot be open for 30-50 years before it's ever paid off.

Or, the more likely scenario is that the parking lot is simply a temporary usage of the land until such as point as the City decides to sell it.

Dan

This was a quick snapshot taken through a dirty window of a moving bus, but Science Centre now has an escalator to nowhere installed

Relevant Crosspost from the Ottawa Thread.

Yes Yes and Yes

I am very worried about how Eglinton is going to perform that being said a big part of it is actually the particular vehicle design heres why:

As mentioned the vehicles really only have the equivalent of 3 double doors for a 30 m vehicle. Even worse is that they are quite widely spaced, for comparison while the Freedoms have one double door per 10 meters the subway trains have one (wider) double door every 6 meters. While the wider spacing would be ok on a more commuter-oriented service or a lower traffic service, given the fact that much of the Crosstown will operate like a subway people will constantly be getting on an off and this could have a very negative dwell and therefore travel time impact. The strangest part of it for me is that there is an obvious solution to this problem which would have been to have a Freedom Variant with 2 double doors at each of the middle door modules and double doors at the front and back (see the example in Sydney below) it confuses me to no end why we didn't choose that, given its not significantly larger and would have given us a double door roughly every 5 meters which is similar to what the subway has when you factor in the different widths.

40617372103_99a39c2979_b.jpg

eglinton-cross-lrt-bombardier.jpg
The Flexity model is designed to be a tram/streetcar. The Freedom isn't that much different than the Outlooks It's just a marketing name for a LRT system. They aren't designed for mass transit. I agree that the circulation is pretty bad in the Flexitys.

Excessive dwell time will occur whenever the vehicles are over 80% full. The Yonge Line has excessive dwell time at all stations south of Bloor. It's high floor and subway. It makes no difference. The Calgary C-Trains have excessive dwell times in peak hours because they are all packed full. Same goes for any Asian metro system. If they manage to keep adequate standing space and not operating close or at capacity (e.g. the ION during the current free period), dwell time should be kept in a minimum. All LRVs, low floor or high floor won't be as good as the standard subway cars as their width is half a metre shorter. The ride quality is lower on the low floors (as one can feel the jerk on the streetcars on a turn) what would lead to more people trying to hold on something.

The Flexity model is designed to be a tram/streetcar. The Freedom isn't that much different than the Outlooks It's just a marketing name for a LRT system. They aren't designed for mass transit. I agree that the circulation is pretty bad in the Flexitys.

Sounds like an option rather one based on fact or a source.

Then why design the spines of our transit system around them?

I can't say I understand the infatuation we seem to have with these vehicles to the point that we need them on every line we're building regardless of the role the line plays in the wider network. Yeah yeah yeah, "low floor," how exciting. But the vehicles are boarded from platforms anyways so it barely matters. But the negatives are significant. They have piss poor vehicle circulation, the doors are slow to open and close, they're pretty ricketty, and the door layout is stupid (though this is not the case on the Alstom ones).

They're fine enough for the streetcar network. Serviceable, I suppose, on Finch. But for Eglinton? Put me in the camp that thinks the way this line was designed was a mistake (vehicle choice being one facet of that).

Then why design the spines of our transit system around them?

I can't say I understand the infatuation we seem to have with these vehicles to the point that we need them on every line we're building regardless of the role the line plays in the wider network. Yeah yeah yeah, "low floor," how exciting. But the vehicles are boarded from platforms anyways so it barely matters. But the negatives are significant. They have piss poor vehicle circulation, the doors are slow to open and close, they're pretty ricketty, and the door layout is stupid (though this is not the case on the Alstom ones).

They're fine enough for the streetcar network. Serviceable, I suppose, on Finch. But for Eglinton? Put me in the camp that thinks the way this line was designed was a mistake (vehicle choice being one facet of that).

Bombardier does not make every single piece or part on the light rail, streetcar, or subway. Many parts come from different manufacturers around the world. There was a problem with the Rocket subway car doors when the original manufacture went out of business, and Bombardier had to look for a different company to supply them. Many of the manufacturers may supply the very same part for different transit companies. Some parts may even end up with bus companies or automobile companies. Even for something as small as a screw or bolt would have to supplied by someone other than Bombardier itself.

Respectfully, I'm not sure what your post has to do with mine. My post was not a comment on Bombardier. Appologies if it came across otherwise.

Major construction at Birchmount and Eglinton is now imminent for guideway construction and trackwork (surprising because Warden was supposed to be first but I digress). Simutaneously road surface is set to begin along Birchmount, between Eglinton and Lawrence, so avoid the area completely because it will be a zoo soon.

Track installation at Eglinton and Sincott Rd has been completed.

Last edited:

Back