News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

... I would say more likely a 50+ crowd. I am 32 and my wife is 24 and we are by far one of the youngest couples in the area in a actual house.

Can't blame someone who is 50 to 60 for being angry. They will deal with a difficult commute for 10 years, then retire. I can blame them for being selfish enough to want to stop it though.

Thankfully, this group will tend to become more significantly liberal at 65 to 70* making them some of the most vocal in the cheering group when it is complete.

* See Democrat versus Republical demographics over the last 40 years. Tendencies at given age groups tend to remain pretty constant even as the actual people in that age group changes.

Last edited:
Ill never understand NIMBYism when things are not so good... SO I basically understand NIMBYism in places like Yorkville where everything has been good the last 20 years. But this area has numerous FOR LEASE signs and stores that open and close after mere months of being open. This area needs a change. I would suggest that its biggest flaw is that the allen puts so many cars on this stretch of Eglinton it becomes not friendly for pedestrians. This area needs more life and I think that the condos will be good for the area. Similar to how ST. Clair is being redeveloped.

I wonder if NIMBYism will prevail and Chaplain will be removed from the LRT map... Truthfully I would think a station at Jane or Weston would be more important then Chaplain.

the rent might be cheap for some of the apartment units but the majority of the area is detached houses who do prefer to drive. This is not a area full of CHOICE TTC users. Even though it may be a pain the people in the area are generally older (45+) and are car dependant or car oriented. West of Eglinton West things are completely different but east of the station it feels like the people using transit are high school students to young to drive, people who work on eglinton itself or nannys. Again this is completely different then west of the station. The meeting last night was almost exclusively a 40+ crowd and I would say more likely a 50+ crowd. I am 32 and my wife is 24 and we are by far one of the youngest couples in the area in a actual house.

You might be correct that transit patronage will be higher west of Eglinton West. However, quite a few people board buses in the Eglinton / Bathurst area, too; and I expect that number to be even larger when LRT is in service.

It does not matter if they are high school students or nannies, total ridership is what counts.

joe m was also talking about the possibility to eliminate the bus terminal at eglinton west. he basically said there were three busses that went into the station, eglintin, marlee, and oakwood. he thought the oakwood and marlee busses could be re routed.

The 63 Ossington and 109 Ranee buses could be merged, but I think most of the riders would still want to get to Eglinton West to transfer to the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina Subway to get downtown. So unlikely to happen.

However, the 316 Ossignton All Night route could be extended up Marlee, but not under Rob Ford's watch. I think he considers the all night routes as "gravy".

Last edited:
i agree it doesnt matter who uses it and what matters is the numbers. But the nimbyism still has a say from tax payers. There is no debate that Bathurst needs a stop but Chaplain cresent if it faces the same opposition might get a reconsideration. From what I understand the Chaplain Cresent people DO NOT WANT A STOP. I would suggest that they are the residential equivalent to Bayview village mall which refused to have a Subway entrance into the mall. Some people simply think that transit is for the lower class and they dont want these people in their neighbourhoods.

There is no debate that Bathurst needs a stop but Chaplain cresent if it faces the same opposition might get a reconsideration. From what I understand the Chaplain Cresent people DO NOT WANT A STOP. I would suggest that they are the residential equivalent to Bayview village mall which refused to have a Subway entrance into the mall.

An even better comparison might be Willowdale station on the Sheppard line, which didn't happen because of community opposition.

An even better comparison might be Willowdale station on the Sheppard line, which didn't happen because of community opposition.

Good point. However I am indifferent about chaplain cresent since I see limited possibility for new development other then the shoppers drug mart and the oil change station. Willowdale could have helped the density on sheppard appear more seemless. Instead it appears that yonge and sheppard is developed highrises then theres nothing then theres sheppard and bayview, again nothing, then leslie, again nothing then donmills. Willowdale would have helped the transition seem less sparatic and more like yonge street. I dont really see that same potential on eglinton with chaplain cresent.. BUT GREAT EXAMPLE!

eglinton meeting and station video

Went to the public open house at Beth Sholom and spoke to some of the architects and engineers. While some local residents were opposed to the project and raising complaints to Joe Mihevc (as earlier posters noted), many more seemed to be concerned about construction but generally pleased that something is finally getting built.

They played a video with some 3d graphics that was pretty decent, with the chap who works in their community office who i spoke to. Good luck to him once construction starts! It's now up online:
http://www.thecrosstown.ca/news-media/whats-new/video-designing-stations-for-neighbourhoods

Interesting that in the video the platforms appear to be subway-height. I thought the vehicles were low floor?

Well if residents at chaplain crescent do not want a stop, then I guess the LRT will be that much cheaper plus faster to get to Yonge. I am not that familiar with that spot but as others have posted there is not much room for development anyways

Back