News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I say put a big ol’ plow on the front of these LRVs. If they go speeding through an intersection with straight tracks and no switches then they can safely bash through small motor vehicles without LRV damage or shearing on the rails. A little whiplash will be fine for passengers, builds character!
We aren't in communist Soviet countries.... but there may be some merit to the idea.

I say put a big ol’ plow on the front of these LRVs. If they go speeding through an intersection with straight tracks and no switches then they can safely bash through small motor vehicles without LRV damage or shearing on the rails. A little whiplash will be fine for passengers, builds character!
Your PFP looks accurate:

I will disagree with one thing - we do slow down on the streetcar network. I don't remember what they do on mixed traffic lines, it's been an age since I rode one, but the Harbourfront car slows at EVERY intersection. I mean good grief, it's one thing to be cautious during poor visibility or even at night, but if you try to tell me that in broad daylight, a professional transit driver can't see a car approaching the track from a decent distance away, I would advise you to shake your head.

The car crawls up the slope out of the tunnel, goes barely faster than walking speed towards York Street, slows even more right before the crossing with York Streey in case our well paid professional driver somehow doesn't see a car approach, then goes barely faster at walking speed onward. Rinse and repeat.
Yes this is an oddity of the network i've never seen an explanation for, but on row lines the TTC feels the need to slow at intersections, but on mixed traffic lines with much tighter lines of sight and tighter streets no such regulation is in place. If anything this really just shows the fundamentally broken and illogical the state of streetcar operations.

Yes this is an oddity of the network i've never seen an explanation for, but on row lines the TTC feels the need to slow at intersections, but on mixed traffic lines with much tighter lines of sight and tighter streets no such regulation is in place. If anything this really just shows the fundamentally broken and illogical the state of streetcar operations.
Streetcars usually slow at all signalized intersections now, regardless of whether they operate in an ROW or now. It's part of the TTC's idiotic SOP for streetcars.

The effect likely feels more pronounced on routes which operate in an ROW since streetcars operate at a marginally higher rate of speed.

Streetcars usually slow at all signalized intersections now, regardless of whether they operate in an ROW or now. It's part of the TTC's idiotic SOP for streetcars.

The effect likely feels more pronounced on routes which operate in an ROW since streetcars operate at a marginally higher rate of speed.
but wait i thought they are NOT streetcars..... :rolleyes:

I don't really like the slow orders. However, they should matter much less for the surface section of ECLRT than for the legacy streetcars.

The intersections and the traffic lights are spaced much wider on that part of Eglinton than in downtown. And, about half of those intersections will have ECLRT stops, where the trains would have to slow down anyway.

I don't really like the slow orders. However, they should matter much less for the surface section of ECLRT than for the legacy streetcars.

The intersections and the traffic lights are spaced much wider on that part of Eglinton than in downtown. And, about half of those intersections will have ECLRT stops, where the trains would have to slow down anyway.
I wonder if all the doors will automagically open whenever the vehicles stop on the surface stops.

It's not an issue for the underground section, but seems like a waste of energy and heat/cooling to open all doors outside if it's not required.

I wonder if all the doors will automagically open whenever the vehicles stop on the surface stops.

It's not an issue for the underground section, but seems like a waste of energy and heat/cooling to open all doors outside if it's not required.
do the cars have buttons on the outside to open the doors? if no then it will be subway style.

Reactions: PL1

I mean they open on the streetcars whether people press those buttons or not on them. So I imagine they will

not necessarily. ive had times where i had to press the button myself. its really to the discretion of the operator.
I don't think it is. I've spoken to a number of streetcar ops over the years, and while none of these conversations has been recent, they all said the SOP called for opening all the doors.

The only exceptions to the rule I have come across are when a car is ahead of schedule at a stop, and all the doors have closed, the driver leaves the buttons activating for last minute stragglers to open, and when the car is laying over while at the same time taking on passengers, like the 507 at Long Branch.

The Infrastructure Services presentation to Budget Ctte is now online.

The very top item caught my attention.

1705509374557.png

What is the unfunded ECLRT Pedestrian Concourse? I don't remember this as a broken out project.

^Two other interesting tidbits in that chart

- Dufferin Dunn and Dowling bridges in 26-27 hints at timeframe for GO electrification, as I can't see the wires getting strung until those bridges are complete
- Good to see Eglinton East and Waterfront LRT on the list, but the cash flow extends a long way out

- Paul

Last edited:
Looking at those numbers, the city is spending shockingly little on capital investments in roads for the size of the roads network it maintains. That number should probably be 3-4x as much.

Probably not the right thread for that though.

Back