News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Besides appeasing railfans and forcing an additional transfer for people along the line, what benefits exactly would phased opening achieve?

Depends on which section opens first .. if that was a section between Mt Dennis and Allen Road, then it could relief the crowding on the bus. No additional transfers necessary, all buses would still run through. However, riders who board at Mt Dennis or west of it and wish to reach the western side of Line 1, would simply take the LRT to subway, and never need the bus.

I get the objections .. not consistent with the contract, and even if it was, running both the LRT and the full bus schedule means higher operational costs.

Reactions: T3G
Something really bothering me is the current lane setup southbound on Leslie at Eglinton. Normally, I wouldn't care about a slip lane being removed, but here it seems to have backfired.

Leslie approaching Eglinton has always been 3 lanes - 2 south to east, one west. Since they removed the slip lane/island to create a new west side pedestrian crossing, every entitled a**hole utilizes the centre (left) turn lane as a second right turn lane, with those less courageous trying merge into the correct lane at the very last moment.

The whole southbound right lane on Leslie between Lawrence and Eglinton can be an absolute clusterf***. This impacts bus riders the most. Some honest drivers sit in line all the way from Lawrence, which from experience can take 40mins.
It's been so bad that for the past 3 or 4 months the police have been parking a cruiser there - on the ROW, but off of the active lanes or tracks - during the morning rush.

The afternoon rush hours are usually far better, but there has been the odd one where it's taken an inordinately long amount of time to traverse that stretch.

In my opinion, this is one of those unintended side-effects of the delayed opening of Line 5, since there weren't meant to be all those 54 passengers on Leslie at this point anyway.

If the City really cared, they could turn that centre turn lane into a bus-only lane, and add the vertical bar signal to the southbound signals.
While this is true, the bigger issue is what the prevailing traffic patterns are.

If I recall the charts from pre-construction, the predominant traffic conditions were going south on Leslie, west on Eglinton then south on Laird. If this is still the case - or what they were trying to build to - it strikes me that the intersection needs two right turn lanes, not two left turn lanes.

Dan

If I recall the charts from pre-construction, the predominant traffic conditions were going south on Leslie, west on Eglinton then south on Laird. If this is still the case - or what they were trying to build to - it strikes me that the intersection needs two right turn lanes, not two left turn lanes.

Dan

The basic morning commute drive route from the western portion of the Don Mills area (and points north) was south on Leslie, west on Eglinton to Leaside, through Leaside, one way or another, to Bayview / Bayview Extension southbound, to downtown. Reverse in the evenings.

Upset with the amount of traffic, residents along Moore Avenue / Southvale Drive used to note license plates, get owners' addresses from MTO, and send them complaining letters asking them to avoid their community - until MTO changed the rules to make vehicle registration information private (IIRC) during the Bob Rae NDP government.

Also, if I recall correctly, at one point there were plans to actually extend Leslie southbound from Eglinton through the park to connect directly with the Bayview Extension - plans which died a natural death due to widespread opposition - hence the still ongoing bottleneck at the Leslie and Eglinton intersection.

Last edited:
The basic morning commute drive route from the western portion of the Don Mills area (and points north) was south on Leslie, east on Eglinton to Leaside, through Leaside, one way or another, to Bayview / Bayview Extension southbound, to downtown. Reverse in the evenings.
This should read west on Eglinton. Wild that people used to be able to get personal details from license plates!

This should read west on Eglinton. Wild that people used to be able to get personal details from license plates!

Thanks - corrected.

Regarding license plate / vehicle registration data - it had previously not been considered to be personal protected information. I believe there was a $5 service charge for every license plate query. The incident which triggered the change took place in Ottawa. A male driver saw an attractive woman in the car next to him at a traffic light, asked her name, which she declined to provide. He noted her license plate, paid the query fee and got her personal information, and used it to contact her. She complained to the provincial government.

This was at a time when there were increasing concerns about privacy of personal data, leading to the enactment of PIPEDA type legislation at both the provincial and federal levels. And specifically, the Ontario government changed the rules to keep driver and vehicle registration data confidential.

A co-worker in the early 1980's would drop his daughter off at school in the mornings, and come back through Leaside, Southvale Drive to Bayview to come downtown in the mornings - and after being identified as a frequent flyer through the area, was the recipient of one of these letters.

Wild that people used to be able to get personal details from license plates!
This should read licence plates. :)

Perhaps if they could reinstate it, then people wouldn't drive as badly as they do now.

I remember when they used to staple the polling list to the phone poles! I never realised how Italian the one neighbourhood I lived in was, until I saw that.

Regarding license plate / vehicle registration data - it had previously not been considered to be personal protected information. I believe there was a $5 service charge for every license plate query. The incident which triggered the change took place in Ottawa. A male driver saw an attractive woman in the car next to him at a traffic light, asked her name, which she declined to provide. He noted her license plate, paid the query fee and got her personal information, and used it to contact her. She complained to the provincial government.
For what possible reason was this information publicly accessible to begin with!? That is absolutely nuts.

For what possible reason was this information publicly accessible to begin with!? That is absolutely nuts.
Different times, that's all. The City Directory and Phone Book were also available and had just about everybody in them, often listing marital status and data such as occupation and homeowner/renter.

How many people want their cell phone number in a phone book today?

- Paul

I'm finding it really underwhelming how slow these trains are moving. I seriously hope these are just testing speed. These don't look anywhere as fast as the C-Trains in Calgary.

EDIT: I'm not Ramsey Kilani. I just agree with his sentiment.
It's almost definitely going to run slowly, based on the test videos. My guess is that it'll be run like the streetcar, and even with the ROW, the operator will still randomly hit the brakes every so often lest the LRT exceed 22 km/h.

It's almost definitely going to run slowly, based on the test videos. My guess is that it'll be run like the streetcar, and even with the ROW, the operator will still randomly hit the brakes every so often lest the LRT exceed 22 km/h.
So why was this billed as rapid transit?

That would be the average speed with all the traffic lights and dwell time considered.

Also, I see some quotes with a 28 km/h avg speed, not sure what it is now. Finch West might have an average speed of 20-21 km.

That would be the average speed with all the traffic lights and dwell time considered.

Also, I see some quotes with a 28 km/h avg speed, not sure what it is now. Finch West might have an average speed of 20-21 km.
I'm not sure I'm believing what I'm reading. The posted speed limit for these streets is between 50-60km/h. But you're telling me none of these trains will exceed 30km/h? Is that correct or am I misreading something?

Back