News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

The announcement will surely coincide with the election call.

AoD
The chatter has been that Ford would want to call a snap election before the feds do, because PP as PM is seen as a huge weight on the provincial PC's prospects. You might be led to believe this could be it with the sabre-rattling in Ottawa. But lemme rush in here with cold water:
  1. The Crosstown timeline is largely out of their control
  2. Even with their breakthrough in Toronto St Paul's, I don't think Ford's banking on 416 votes to win the election.
  3. I agree Ford would attend the announcement, and he's not mentioned in the release

I don't see this being an announcement.

And I don't see Ford jumping on an early election after their PC's relatively poor showing in the by-election today, which was a lot lower than their 2018 and 2022 results. I'd guess 2026.

So maybe before the Crosstown opens ... :)

This got posted today. Some leaked draft internal documents obtained by the CBC.

Seems quite transportation oriented but unfortunately car oriented. Other than speeding up highway projects like the 413, also barring those dastardly bike lanes that are taking over car lanes.
The Ontario government is considering bringing forward legislation that could prohibit the installation of bike lanes when lanes for motor vehicles are removed as a result, sources say.
Don't get your hopes up regarding transportation press conferences.

The grass looks ready. How do they cut the grass? Will it impact train schedules?
Lawn tractors on rails or off rails?
Weed-eaters. With hearing protection or without?
After hours?
View attachment 597356
Unfortunately, it is nothing nearly as interesting as goats (although it if was, I would standing at the ready with utensils and curry).

Metrolinx pays for a number of different landscaping companies to handle the mowing, and they do so fairly irregularly. And it's nothing more exciting than a couple of guys with standard hand mowers working back and forth on the ROW at night.

The hope is that once revenue service starts that the landscaping duties will occur less frequently.

Dan

The announcement is at the Hummer College LRT stop.

EDIT: (Announcement of completion of all stations on the Finch West LRT)

disappointed-fridge.gif

I don't see this being an announcement.

And I don't see Ford jumping on an early election after their PC's relatively poor showing in the by-election today, which was a lot lower than their 2018 and 2022 results. I'd guess 2026.

So maybe before the Crosstown opens ... :)
PCs are having better byelection results now compared to when they lost Kanata-Carleton. Beer in convenience stores is the easiest election policy play to identify. I'd br shocked if we weren't voting provincially before federally next spring.

PCs are having better byelection results now compared to when they lost Kanata-Carleton. Beer in convenience stores is the easiest election policy play to identify. I'd br shocked if we weren't voting provincially before federally next spring.
I wouldn't be shocked, but even the result this week wasn't as nearly strong as I'd have though, given how strong the Conservatives are supposedly polling (last poll in August). I thought they'd get results more like 2022 and 2018. Not like 2014.

There's a huge risk in going early. Remember what happened in 1990 when Peterson did that, expecting a big majority; and ended up finishing with a massive NDP majority. And what seemed to do it is the electorate was really upset about the early election.

That said, I don't think the opening date of the Crosstown will be politically-driven. Maybe the timing of the announcement - but at the rate we are going, I think it may well be open before the earliest election date - which would be Spring 2025, given he's already said the election t won't be in 2024.

edit - coincidentally a new poll just dropped - It shows the Liberals closing the gap with the PCs. Though this pollster does seem to have a Liberal bias)

Last edited:
Took the GO train past Mt. Dennis today. Lots of activity. I saw LRVs in the yard with "Eglinton" on the front sign. The bus terminal, Kodak building, and station platform had all their lights on, and there was an LRV in the station, along with a group of people on the platform. Honestly, the station looked like it was in operation.

Back