News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Amen. Getting to Sunnybrook from Coxwell Stn requires 1 subway and a minimum of 2 buses... it's 3 when the dreaded 56B is in play. I can literally run to Sunnybrook faster than take the TTC.
There should be a 56A Leaside branch to Sunnybrook via Kilgour Road with the bus stopping at the CAMH, Toronto Rehab, and Holland Bloorview.

There should be a 56A Leaside branch to Sunnybrook via Kilgour Road with the bus stopping at the CAMH, Toronto Rehab, and Holland Bloorview.

Kilgour Road is a dead-end street running east from Bayview. There is no east-end access to Kilgour. Where Rumsey Road meets Kilgour (at Holland Bloorview and Toronto Rehab), there are gates for which only some employees have passes. The people of North Leaside insisted on this in return for allowing the CNIB/Bloorview private road to be turned into a public road (Kilgour). Otherwise the traffic would be too heavy through North Leaside residential streets. It's already a problem with people cutting through to avoid Bayview and Eglinton. North Leasiders would never permit TTC buses along their (narrow) residential streets even if there was any public access to the east end of Kilgour. And by the way, CAMH has been empty for five years since they consolidated all their operations at 1001 Queen west.

I believe the combination of the Leaside 56 and Leslie 51 is a done deal and the Lawrence East 54 will turn south at Don Mills to terminate at Don Mills station bus terminal where the Flemingdon Park 100 will also end. The Lawrence-Donway 162 may see increased frequency to pick up the slack between Leslie and Don Mills on Lawrence, left by the re-routing of the 54.

The Leaside 56B to Brentcliffe and Eglinton may remain at rush-hour and I imagine the South Leaside 88 will be adjusted slightly by travelling on Eglinton between Laird and Brentcliffe so it can link directly with the Crosstown at Laird Station.

Laird Station definitely needs and entrance on the north-west corner. It was in the EA but disappeared in the Reference Concept Designs. The people of North Leaside will need an entrance that doesn't require crossing Eglinton and this is even more necessary if they go with the Eglinton 34 local bus. The westbound stop at Laird would be right at the north-west corner entrance.

Kilgour Road is a dead-end street running east from Bayview. There is no east-end access to Kilgour. Where Rumsey Road meets Kilgour (at Holland Bloorview and Toronto Rehab), there are gates for which only some employees have passes. The people of North Leaside insisted on this in return for allowing the CNIB/Bloorview private road to be turned into a public road (Kilgour). Otherwise the traffic would be too heavy through North Leaside residential streets. It's already a problem with people cutting through to avoid Bayview and Eglinton. North Leasiders would never permit TTC buses along their (narrow) residential streets even if there was any public access to the east end of Kilgour. And by the way, CAMH has been empty for five years since they consolidated all their operations at 1001 Queen west.
The CAMH building can be removed to be an extension of Kilgour Road linking it with the Sunnybrook Park driveway with a small bridge over the West Don River; make that link only for buses, bicycles, and pedestrians. This way, it would bypass North Leaside completely, but again, it would require a branch of the 11 Bayview to do it (going to Don Mills station via Kilgour Road and Sunnybrook Park) or alternatively, a new bus route that goes along Broadway between Yonge and Bayview, then goes along Kilgour to the busway to Sunnybrook Park and go on Eglinton to Don Mills station.

Last edited:
How far along Eglinton are the tunelling machines now? Plus, are the stations only being built once all of the tunelling is complete to Yonge/Laird (for the underground portion of the LRT)

there are lights at Leslie..

Leslie is a T-intersection to the north. Put the LRT on the south side of the street and you've dodged the intersection. The strange trumpet interchange into a parking lot could also be modified into a T-intersection (the underpass could be used by pedestrians and cyclists to get to the Leaside Rail Trail from the Don Valley Trail).

How far along Eglinton are the tunelling machines now? Plus, are the stations only being built once all of the tunelling is complete to Yonge/Laird (for the underground portion of the LRT)

The TBMs are either just passed the Keele headwalls or about to pass them as work in the headwalls seems to be ramping down there And both the north and middle headwall sections have been completed.

As for the stations, the earliest they could start to be built is once the TBMs are extracted and restarted at Eglinton West station. Crews need to remove the conveyor systems and other support units out of the station block section before crews can dig out the station pit.

So if we are really generous I would expect that to start happening in maybe 2015 at the earliest.

Station Design Update Meetings

The Crosstown website has posted a notice at this link about a couple of meetings on station design.

The first is to present:

preliminary station and stop designs from Laird Drive to Wynford Drive, as well as information on the future construction of a tunnel boring machine launch shaft that will be located east of Brentcliffe Road.

Date: Wednesday, November 6th, 2013
Time: 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
123 Wynford Dr, North York, ON​

- See more at: http://www.thecrosstown.ca/news-media/whats-new/station-design-update-meetings#sthash.iZhp8zU2.dpuf

The second is to present:

the preliminary station designs from Avenue Road to Bayview Avenue.

Date: Thursday, November 7th, 2013
Time: 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
851 Mount Pleasant Road, Toronto, ON​

- See more at: http://www.thecrosstown.ca/news-media/whats-new/station-design-update-meetings#sthash.iZhp8zU2.dpuf

You can download the PDF of the event notice at this link.

I was looking over the Environmental Project Report Addendum Executive Summary (link), page 22, and noticed that the Mt. Dennis Station could have a 1% incline. The incline increases to 2% east of the station and after Black Creek Drive the decline has a 5% slope leading to the portal. Does not bother me, but usually stations have level platforms. Passengers may have to apply their brakes on their strollers, wheelchairs, roller blades, etc. when in the Mt. Dennis Station (as well as the trains themselves), when they wait for a train. Hopefully, the platform will have a non-slip surface.

I was looking over the Environmental Project Report Addendum Executive Summary (link), page 22, and noticed that the Mt. Dennis Station could have a 1% incline. The incline increases to 2% east of the station and after Black Creek Drive the decline has a 5% slope leading to the portal. Does not bother me, but usually stations have level platforms. Passengers may have to apply their brakes on their strollers, wheelchairs, roller blades, etc. when in the Mt. Dennis Station (as well as the trains themselves), when they wait for a train. Hopefully, the platform will have a non-slip surface.

I recall reading that 0.5% slope in a station was the limit - maybe I am wrong though.

I assume you mean between Brentcliffe portal and the west Don Mills portal. And if so, I agree; let's hope.

There are two portions to consider.

1. Brentcliffe to Don Mills, it would be a massive mistake if they decided to make it in the median and not grade-separated (a south side alignment with a separate bridge over the West Don and an at grade station at Leslie seems to be the best choice for this portion).
  2. Don Mills to Kennedy, it would be a big mistake if they decided to make it in the median and not grade-separated (an elevated alignment would be the best choice for this portion).

Unfortunately, I have just about lost all hope that they will do either. Metrolinx is planning a whole bunch of transit in Toronto and the first one they build they are doing wrong. It does not inspire confidence.

Back