News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Do snow and ice storms have any impact on the tunnelling beyond soil removal?

It seems to me that any impact on soil removal would potentially delay tunneling. Stopping removal would create a backlog / lack of space that could force the TBM to stop tunneling and sending back soil.

I'll say it now and then, but this is exciting. I never thought I'd ever see Eglinton so far under construction and apart from provincial delays and the deferral of the western section to save money (and the boneheaded Leaside/Leslie/Don Mills plan), it made it through, despite our politicians. It's now so far ahead it'd be so, so hard to cancel.

I'll say it now and then, but this is exciting. I never thought I'd ever see Eglinton so far under construction and apart from provincial delays and the deferral of the western section to save money (and the boneheaded Leaside/Leslie/Don Mills plan), it made it through, despite our politicians. It's now so far ahead it'd be so, so hard to cancel.

I still would love to see it cancelled - well actually the Don Mills plan. It does seem sad that we are spending Billions of dollars and they still manage to mess this one area up so badly.

lets cancel a 20km $5 billion project because 500 meters of it isn't ideal, but in the end will have little change on the effectiveness of the line.. sure.

So happy about this. A new 20km transit line will be built across Toronto, our transit map will be getting much bigger, this will be a huge moment in Toronto transit history.

Every day that goes by, the TBMs dig further, contracts get awarded, and it becomes more and more difficult to cancel (although it seems impossible already). Thank god!

But not to sound like a wet blanket, but this project alone does nothing to alleviate the current system, in fact quite the contrary.

But not to sound like a wet blanket, but this project alone does nothing to alleviate the current system, in fact quite the contrary.

Sure it does. This provide much needed capacity on Eglinton, freeing up buses that can be put into service elsewhere. It will also speed up travel for anyone who currently travels on bus routes that intersect with Eglinton.

Sure it will dump more people onto an already crowded Yonge line, however the benefits extend far beyond a single line that will be a bit more crowded.

by this time the Yonge line will be able to handle the extra load regardless. make no mistake, the yonge line isn't going to get less busy any time soon, even after the DRL. the TTC makes a point of only running the trains it needs to save money. Once ATC comes online the TTC will only improve frequency as required. It can run 105 second frequencies starting in 2018 but by 2020 are still planning to run 135 second frequencies, dropping to 121 by 2025.

TTC is also going to have a huge over-stock of buses because 4 of their busiest bus routes are soon going to be out of service. its also proving a problem as they need to buy more to deal with increased demand but yet don't want to as they know they will have a huge bus surplus in 6 years. they will go from 1,956 buses in 2020 to 1,722 buses in 2022.

Last edited:
Yup this line will help towards having a grid system of parallel lines to spread demand out, making many more trips possible or faster, providing alternate ways of getting places. It also makes it easier for those east of Yonge on Eglinton to go across to Eglinton West station to take that line south instead of Yonge, if Yonge is too busy.

That reminds me, if we still need to shut down Yonge between Eglinton and St Clair for repairs, if they wait until this line opens, then people can use it to get across to the spadina line as an alternate route.

And optimally an additional subway line or GO connection in the east to not have to depend on the Yonge Line so much, or even the BD line at Kennedy.

by this time the Yonge line will be able to handle the extra load regardless. make no mistake, the yonge line isn't going to get less busy any time soon, even after the DRL. the TTC makes a point of only running the trains it needs to save money. Once ATC comes online the TTC will only improve frequency as required. It can run 105 second frequencies starting in 2018 but by 2020 are still planning to run 135 second frequencies, dropping to 121 by 2025.

TTC is also going to have a huge over-stock of buses because 4 of their busiest bus routes are soon going to be out of service. its also proving a problem as they need to buy more to deal with increased demand but yet don't want to as they know they will have a huge bus surplus in 6 years. they will go from 1,956 buses in 2020 to 1,722 buses in 2022.
The extra buses would be used to increase the frequency of busy routes, add in new routes, or for emergencies.

no, the TTC can't afford that, don't delude yourself. the numbers I qouted are the total fleet planned by the TTC. They plan to scrap 234 buses between 2020 and 2022, period. Now that number can obviously change as it is still 6 years out, but still.

TTC crowding will not be getting any better any time soon. until council starts providing actual substantial funding, it will remain a crowded service.

I think everyone prefers the City's route. What Murray proposed was so horrible that I actually thought it was designed to dissuade people from supporting the subway.

The city's route might be preferred, sure. But is it preferred some much that it's worth $2 billion dollars extra? Seeing that almost all trip generation is at STC, I would argue that it's not worth the extra cash.

If we really do need a subway to McCowan and Sheppard (all of a sudden, don't seem to recall any calls for a subway there in the past), the Murray alignment could still dip underground after Scarborough Centre station and head up McCowan.

Back