News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I noticed a "For Sale" sign on the right (east) building of the two that are to be demolished for Mt Pleasant station's 2nd entrance on the NE of the corner between the apartment buildings on Eglinton.

Why hasn't Metrolinx bought it I wonder? They'll need it.

Here's the streetview but there's a big truck in the way
http://goo.gl/maps/lY9Ap

They probabaly won't buy it for a year or two as station construction doesn't start until then. It'll be bought by the contractor awarded the station construction contract.

I remember when that house the truck is blocking from view was run-down and looked like a haunted house. I thought the current owners did a pretty good job at renovating the place.

I remember when that house the truck is blocking from view was run-down and looked like a haunted house. I thought the current owners did a pretty good job at renovating the place.

Are they even houses? They seem like weird temporary structures that are show-rooms for some housing development or something. That building on the left I saw computer servers in the basement, which was weird.

Here's a better view by the way:
http://goo.gl/maps/mM01B

They were houses at some point, when I was young. Like I said they were run-down and someone a decade ago bought them and renovated the place. It does looks like it is some business now though I haven't peered into their windows. :p

Metrolinx begins its big eastern dig on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT: Get ready for traffic

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...nton_crosstown_lrt_get_ready_for_traffic.html

cicrosstown.jpg

I guess the alternate routes are through Thorncliffe Park at Overlea Blvd or through Bridle Path up north.

I didn't know they already closed lanes down during the day.

OK, in a previous post I said that the old method of expropriate, demolish and cut and cover was economically unrealistic today when homes cost $1,000,000, not $10,000. I still think this is true. However, in rare circumstances, it pays off to pay market price - or even above market price - to seize valuable land to build infrastructure where the alternative - closing multiple lanes of one of the busiest, and most important surface roads in the entire city - would actually lead to a productivity loss well in excess of what it would cost to expropriate homes.

I think it would have been much more beneficial to just buy out the residents of those townhomes on the northern side of Aerodrome Crescent, and demolish the properties to build the launch site there. Taking out 4 traffic lanes on Eglinton for several years is going to be a major disaster. I think we could have even afforded to give these people 1.5X market value, and also pay significant sums of money to the people living on the south side, who have to endure the noise, dust and debris.

I think it would have been much more beneficial to just buy out the residents of those townhomes on the northern side of Aerodrome Crescent, and demolish the properties to build the launch site there. Taking out 4 traffic lanes on Eglinton for several years is going to be a major disaster. I think we could have even afforded to give these people 1.5X market value, and also pay significant sums of money to the people living on the south side, who have to endure the noise, dust and debris.

Screw the residents of Aerodrome Crescent. Had they and their neighbours not put up such a big fight over the Leslie St. stop, we might still have a more logical turn-back point at Don Mills and a launch site in the overflow lot at the Science Centre.

I noticed a "For Sale" sign on the right (east) building of the two that are to be demolished for Mt Pleasant station's 2nd entrance on the NE of the corner between the apartment buildings on Eglinton.

Why hasn't Metrolinx bought it I wonder? They'll need it.

Here's the streetview but there's a big truck in the way
http://goo.gl/maps/lY9Ap

Old real estate trick. Metrolinx makes an offer based on appraised market value. Landowner tries to drive the price up by putting it on the market and asking for double what its worth. Some sucker buys it thinking Metrolinx will have to pay top dollar. Metrolinx expropriates it for original appraised price.

By the time all four machines reach Yonge, enough dirt and muck will have been removed to fill the Air Canada Centre to the height of the CN Tower, says Robinson.

I feel like we should use this dirt for something...

Screw the residents of Aerodrome Crescent. Had they and their neighbours not put up such a big fight over the Leslie St. stop, we might still have a more logical turn-back point at Don Mills and a launch site in the overflow lot at the Science Centre.

I am not sure if this is right, but I guess you are saying the residents of Aerodrome Crescent has 3 choices:

1. Skip the Leslie stop and tunnel all the way to Don Mills.
2. Have a south side alignment, keeping all lanes for traffic both during constuction and in the final configuration.
3. Build the LRT and portal in the median, eliminating lanes both temporarily and permanently.

I guess you are right, residents of Aerodrome Crescent are really stupid for chosing option 3 instead of 2.

If they were not given these options clearly, then of course the residents of Aerodrome Crescent cannot be blamed and all the blame would fall on Metrolix and the their Liberal masters.

With the amount of grass and trees around there, didn't seem to be a need to place the tracks in the street. Whether there is a Leslie stop or not.

Back