News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

While I don't agree with andrewpmk (and often don't), it is true that the EA & design for Eglinton was completed during Miller's time, and it does have Leslie at-grade.

That is true. The original design had Leslie at-grade. It was when the "Ford compromise" (all of Eglinton underground + linked with SLRT + Sheppard Subway) came into being that the design was changed to an underground stationless Leslie. The plan was then reverted back to at-grade some point after that.

That is true. The original design had Leslie at-grade. It was when the "Ford compromise" (all of Eglinton underground + linked with SLRT + Sheppard Subway) came into being that the design was changed to an underground stationless Leslie. The plan was then reverted back to at-grade some point after that.

Everything I read said that they did not want to delay the EA, so they put the LRT in the median, but most everyone figured that the stop would be moved to the south side during detailed design. Nobody figured they would ever be stupid enough to put the Leslie stop in the median.

People have spoken out at the meetings that it should be buried--how can you overhaul the public realm so thoroughly and not do it? I think it'll happen. They should also include ornamental street lights.
Well they did it on Roncy. And Highway 7. And the Glebe in Ottawa.

Eglinton just west of Yonge is down to 1 lane in each direction:

IMG_20140624_082340.jpg

IMG_20140624_082355.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140624_082340.jpg
    IMG_20140624_082340.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_20140624_082355.jpg
    IMG_20140624_082355.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 512
People have spoken out at the meetings that it should be buried--how can you overhaul the public realm so thoroughly and not do it? I think it'll happen. They should also include ornamental street lights.
And how much will that cost? Weren't the underground hydro costs on St. Clair significant? Looking at the post-mortem report burying the hydro cost about $30 million, which significantly inflated the TTC's $65 million cost for building the ROW (along with another $10 million for streetscaping).

Sure, there's a benefit to doing this ... but it doesn't have to be related to the LRT construction, adds significantly to the cost, and also causes a nightmare of delays given Toronto Hydro has proved time and time again their gross incompetence at meeting a deadline.

Do you think it's proportional? $30 million had a big effect on a $65 million budget. It's a drop in the bucket when the budget is $5 billion. It will always be an insignificant sum when LRT requires rebuilding and widening the road. That also happens to be when it's cheapest to bury hydro wires. Building the hydro infrastructure could be contracted out to more reliable and efficient firms than whoever Toronto Hydro has worked with in the past.

Do you think it's proportional? $30 million had a big effect on a $65 million budget. It's a drop in the bucket when the budget is $5 billion.
I was only thinking of the surface section of LRT - that's not $5 billion.

Surely no one is so deep into the gravy, that they think this is an excuse to bury the hydro wires in the tunnelled portion of Eglinton, that have no bearing on the subway section!

I was only thinking of the surface section of LRT - that's not $5 billion.

It's a single project. Surface construction is also proving expensive with the city's commitment to keeping the same number of car lanes as before--the street will have to be rebuilt and widened in many places.

It's a single project. Surface construction is also proving expensive with the city's commitment to keeping the same number of car lanes as before--the street will have to be rebuilt and widened in many places.
Where could they lose lanes over the subway tunnel?

I was under the impression Eglinton East in Scarborough is losing one car lane in each direction, the HOV/bus lane.

Back