News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Thanks for the info. My next question is why is ridership projections for the the crosstown so low? Even with the line ending at Mt Dennis(which you know I don't agree with :) ) and Kennedy I would have though the line would have higher ridership then Bloor.

Truth be told, I think we will surpass ridership expectations for the line.

Thanks for the info. My next question is why is ridership projections for the the crosstown so low? Even with the line ending at Mt Dennis(which you know I don't agree with :) ) and Kennedy I would have though the line would have higher ridership then Bloor.

Well, I was describing Yonge & Eg and the area within walking distance, if we're talking about the whole street there's much more variability.

As to why Bloor will have higher ridership, this is pure speculation on my part, but I'll take a stab at it:
Bloor is 6km longer.
Anyone going downtown from the east or west (Scar or Etobi) will use Bloor.
Bloor is connected to streetcars & buses which go downtown
Bloor has major institutions like U of T, to state the obvious a huge school.
Downtown in general has more offices & destinations, financial district, universities, hospitals, and Bloor is much closer.
There are way more jobs along & near Bloor than Eglinton.

Look a the difference between Yonge-Eg and Yonge-Bloor. I love Yonge-Eg but Yonge-Bloor is clearly a way bigger & more important intersection.

Truth be told, I think we will surpass ridership expectations for the line.
Me too, and then they'll be like, we have to complete the line the Eglinton West Bus is overloaded all the time.

Well, I was describing Yonge & Eg and the area within walking distance, if we're talking about the whole street there's much more variability.

As to why Bloor will have higher ridership, this is pure speculation on my part, but I'll take a stab at it:
Bloor is 6km longer.
Anyone going downtown from the east or west (Scar or Etobi) will use Bloor.
Bloor is connected to streetcars & buses which go downtown
Bloor has major institutions like U of T, to state the obvious a huge school.
Downtown in general has more offices & destinations, financial district, universities, hospitals, and Bloor is much closer.
There are way more jobs along & near Bloor than Eglinton.

Look a the difference between Yonge-Eg and Yonge-Bloor. I love Yonge-Eg but Yonge-Bloor is clearly a way bigger & more important intersection.

Your comments will apply because I thought YongeEg would be as busy as YongeBloor after the crosstown but the official numbers show it won't it come to StGeorge levels. I think YongeEg, being the middle of the city is more important imo, YongeBloor is part of downtown to me. But YB does have more jobs. Now, I don't think Eglinton West will add significant ridership.

Ridership projections are frequently deliberately inaccurate. Miller obviously deliberately manipulated these projections to make them lower than they should be to make light rail look good. In reality I would have thought that Eglinton would have about the same ridership as Bloor-Danforth. Eglinton has about the same amount of office space as Bloor-Danforth (if you count the area around Pearson in Mississauga where most of it is located), the population density along much of it is fairly similar (except the low density east part of Eglinton), and it is close to the extremely busy Highway 401. Of course Bloor-Danforth carries way more people than LRT can possibly handle (even though it doesn't have many tall buildings along most of it, and there isn't all that much office space near Bloor-Yonge compared to the southern part of downtown). There were proposals in the old days to put underground streetcars along Yonge, Bloor and Queen, all of which would be extremely above capacity if they were built. I think that putting light rail on Eglinton will turn out to be a huge mistake.

I'm just trying to figure this out because I was thinking some people have cars but live in apartments in condos in the area. That is what makes Yonge - Eglinton unique from the outer burbs or downtown, people can walk, use transit or bike so Eglinton connects was the correct solution. Sixrings you live a little west so it's a bit different but I'm guessing you guys think Eglinton could still be more urban?

There is one condo "The Hill" under construction just west of bathurst on Eglinton and another proposal directly at the south west Eglinton and bathurst corner. I heard from someone cant remember who that there is also another proposal coming for the north west side of Eglinton and Bathurst as well. Finally the old blockbuster building on the south east side of bathurst and Eglinton always has for lease signs. Im sure they would sell given motivation from a developer. The point is that even to the west of Yonge there will see significant development and I didnt even mention The Hub condos at Oakwood. Yes it can and will become more urban.

There is one condo "The Hill" under construction just west of bathurst on Eglinton and another proposal directly at the south west Eglinton and bathurst corner. I heard from someone cant remember who that there is also another proposal coming for the north west side of Eglinton and Bathurst as well. Finally the old blockbuster building on the south east side of bathurst and Eglinton always has for lease signs. Im sure they would sell given motivation from a developer. The point is that even to the west of Yonge there will see significant development and I didnt even mention The Hub condos at Oakwood. Yes it can and will become more urban.
Next question. Doesn't not building Eglinton West now negate the idea all of eglinton will become urban? There are apartments at 427, Martin Grove, Kipling, etc. Although most people drive, that's right now and it can change right?

Who is opposed to building Eglinton West?

I worry if we wait too long we will lose the wonderful opportunity that is the Richview corridor.

The richview corridor is gone and sold off and being developed as we speak. Im sure between weston avenue we are going to see midrise. Im sure between avenue and bayview we are going to see highrise. Im sure between bayview and kennedy we will see midrise, on all those car lots especially. Eglinton from weston to the airport I dont know. There isnt as much land available and the area is already pretty developed. The east has more to work with. I would like to see the Eglinton line get to the airport asap.

Who is opposed to building Eglinton West?

I worry if we wait too long we will lose the wonderful opportunity that is the Richview corridor.

The richview corridor is gone and sold off and being developed as we speak. Im sure between weston avenue we are going to see midrise. Im sure between avenue and bayview we are going to see highrise. Im sure between bayview and kennedy we will see midrise, on all those car lots especially. Eglinton from weston to the airport I dont know. There isnt as much land available and the area is already pretty developed. The east has more to work with. I would like to see the Eglinton line get to the airport asap.

Glen Murray the UPX fanboy. They should not necessairly build Eglinton West underground but if the Richview Corridor is gone then we will have to put it on Eglinton. I agree, I want it built and then far Eglinton East and Kingston to UTSC to have a solution soon as well.

Eg west is pointless if there is a good GO connection to the airport. It would take well over an hour using the LRT to get to the airport from downtown, or you could take GO in ~30 minutes. there is a reason the line has been relegated to the depths of the Big Move.

Eg west is pointless if there is a good GO connection to the airport.

There is value in connecting the Mississauga BRT and the Eglinton LRT, particularly if fare integration of some type eventually occurs. Whether the LRT should be extended west or the BRT should be extended East into Toronto or both to some point in the middle is certainly up for discussion.

Last edited:
Eg west is pointless if there is a good GO connection to the airport. It would take well over an hour using the LRT to get to the airport from downtown, or you could take GO in ~30 minutes. there is a reason the line has been relegated to the depths of the Big Move.

Not everyone is coming from downtown.

I think there is more value in extending the line between Martin Grove and Jane. Its just that once you are so close to the airport, why not just extend it all the way?

And there still isn't. UPX isn't go, and all day service on the Kitchener line is supposed to happen "sometime" before 2023.

Not everyone is coming from downtown.

I think there is more value in extending the line between Martin Grove and Jane. Its just that once you are so close to the airport, why not just extend it all the way?
The airport has a higher concentration of jobs then yonge/eg, NYCC. Plus This would give us a reason to bring the DRL to mount dennis.

Back