News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I wonder how this approach compares to the "drag through" approach I've seen used elsewhere. That's where they excavate the station box first and drag the TBM through it.

[video=youtube;EcF1MKfGreU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF1MKfGreU[/video]

I wonder how this approach compares to the "drag through" approach I've seen used elsewhere. That's where they excavate the station box first and drag the TBM through it.

I was wondering why they did not try something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering why they did not try something like this.

Because TBMs are usually "dragged" through a station box to continue tunneling. Since the station box for the station wasn't built yet, it made more sense to lift the TBMs over the existing subway and continue tunneling to Yonge. If the TTC was building the ECLRT, it's likely the station would have been built, but Metrolinx wants the stations to be built at the same time.

Last edited:
Ok, so the problem will still have to be addressed on the future.

They plan on tunneling under the both subway lines (Spadina and Yonge) using a much less intrusive method.

Regarding the timing of building the stations and tunnels, obviously you can't build them at the same time. You have to build one first then the other. One of the biggest hold ups for the station construction is they need to acquire all the land. If an owner doesn't want to sell they need to expropriate and it can take up to a year to go through that legal process. If they wanted to build the stations first we would still be waiting to start tunneling. starting the tunneling first means they will be done sooner.

They plan on tunneling under the both subway lines (Spadina and Yonge) using a much less intrusive method.

Regarding the timing of building the stations and tunnels, obviously you can't build them at the same time. You have to build one first then the other. One of the biggest hold ups for the station construction is they need to acquire all the land. If an owner doesn't want to sell they need to expropriate and it can take up to a year to go through that legal process. If they wanted to build the stations first we would still be waiting to start tunneling. starting the tunneling first means they will be done sooner.

Looks like SNC will be playing a big role moving forward with the Crosstown:

http://business.financialpost.com/n...act-in-deal-that-may-be-worth-up-to-4-billion

Good to see parts of this project moving forward and being awarded - not sure I'm completely satisfied with the result.

Last edited:
Because TBMs are usually "dragged" through a station box to continue tunneling. Since the station box for the station wasn't built yet, it made more sense to lift the TBMs over the existing subway and continue tunneling to Yonge. If the TTC was building the ECLRT, it's likely the station would have been built, but Metrolinx wants the stations to be built at the same time.

Also, the diameter of the TBM is much larger that the height needed for a poured tunnel to fit the same size subway car. By manually digging, they can place the two station platforms at a closer elevation. Saves money on depth of station, allows easier build of service access and rooms around the station tie-in, and creates (slightly) less height for transfer of passengers between levels.

No, they'll build it too.

It's a DBFM contract: design, build, finance, maintain. Though, in this case, they won't have complete control over the design.

It's a DBFM contract: design, build, finance, maintain. Though, in this case, they won't have complete control over the design.

Yeah. It seems plausible that end of this year early non-tunnel construction might start, but I'm just speculating.

Oh great news.

I wonder how soon construction can begin on the stations?

Also, I hope the firm isn't in control of the architectural design.

They are. Basic station layouts are done already, but architectural design is being done by the contractor.

That said, as part of the bid they were told to create interesting architecture so don't expect a sheppard subway 2.0. I wouldn't go expecting a Spadina subway either though, probably something in between the two.

"Interesting architecture" = "throw a cheap mural on the wall"

Seriously, I hope the RFP dictated what exactly "interesting architecture" means.

Back