News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The only station that should be named Leaside is a future Midtown GO station.

I don't see a reason to rename Laird as Leaside when there is no other station called Laird. I find it contrived to then call the adjacent station outside the geographic center of the neighbourhood as "Leaside".

For instance, I don't live in Leaside neighbourhood, yet I can walk to the future Bayview station within 90 seconds. Confusing? Yes it is.

We can call this station "South Bayview Station" seeing as the South Bayview Village BIA is directly to the south. We can also rename the Bayview station on Sheppard as "Bayview Village" and there would be absolutely no confusion.

I don't see a problem with Leaside for Laird. Laird isn't a well known street that crosses the entire City like Dufferin. Most people outside of Leaside have probably never heard of it. Leaside, unfortunately, is the one station that actually makes sense to rename in my books.

you know north... I was tempted to write that in my last post. Numbering the streets is not a bad idea. The problem is that the our street grid is so far apart I don't think that makes sense outside of downtown. I realize you were most likely being sarcastic but it has crossed my mind several times. Perhaps you are right that people seem to be making a big deal out of it, but it just doesn't seem to make too much sense.. Again why are the underground station hyphen opposed versus the surface stops which seems to embrace it?

Calgary and Edmonton's streets are numbered. It doesn't make it easier or more difficult. Instead of 'is Richmond north or south of Adelaide', you're all 'was the address 8th or 9th Avenue'.

Anyone who gets out at St. Andrew, Osgoode, or St. Patrick (or Museum or Queen's Park) knows why they're named that way. I cannot believe y'all have run this non-issue up to so many pages! They have come up with a scheme, and it has a reasonable basis.

Personally, I like the fact that they have the Aga Khan and Science Centre in the mix. Kind of fun.

Last edited:
I mentioned a few posts ago it's named after St. Andrew parish.

A perfect example of why this naming system doesn't work. People in Toronto still don't know what St. Andrew is, 50 years after it was added to the RT map!

(Ironically, the only reason I know that was because AlvinofDiaspar told me, if I remember correctly)

Wait, what??? Have you never got out at St. Andrew station, SW corner? There's a... clue... to the naming convention.

Personally, I think we should change Museum. I'm sure the AGO has been offended all these years and just didn't say anything... ;)

RRR maybe sad but its true I had to Wikipedia Osgoode... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgoode_(TTC)

I lived in Calgary and maybe it gave me a vague idea but to me the numbers don't seem to work as well as they do in a tight area like Manhattan. In Manhattan based on the numbers I know how many streets up or down I need to walk and then east or west to get to where I am going. I find it easier to conceptualize.

RRR maybe sad but its true I had to Wikipedia Osgoode... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgoode_(TTC)

I lived in Calgary and maybe it gave me a vague idea but to me the numbers don't seem to work as well as they do in a tight area like Manhattan. In Manhattan based on the numbers I know how many streets up or down I need to walk and then east or west to get to where I am going. I find it easier to conceptualize.

'Old' Calgary works just like Manhattan. I lived at the top of the North Hill (Rosedale) and you knew exactly how long it would take to go from Centre Street and 16th Avenue back to Crescent Heights High School (1019 1st NW, so between 10th and 11th Avenue, 1 block west) before your next class.

But 'old' Calgary has been subsumed into a huge amorphous blob of suburban neighbourhoods with names like Deerrun, Deerridge, Deerroad, etc. to add to the confusion.

ETA: My point was that, once you've used Osgoode stop once, you know everything you need to know in order to meet someone a second time. And I'm sure the same will happen with Silverthorne or what have you.

I lived near UofC for a couple years and then near the red mile for another year. Anyways I like names because it makes it more personal in some ways but numbers are preference when giving directions. The bigger a city gets the more I can see numbers as being an asset. Anyways that's not going to happen and I think Im ok with that because street names have some history. But I cant agree that the names on this line are better than the street names closest to the stations.

Silverthorne?
upload_2015-10-2_15-53-29.png

Why Tretheway Station would be better, see above.

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-2_15-53-29.png
    upload_2015-10-2_15-53-29.png
    272.2 KB · Views: 465
Fairbank?
upload_2015-10-2_15-55-18.png

Why I think Vaughan Station would be better, see above.

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-2_15-55-18.png
    upload_2015-10-2_15-55-18.png
    172.6 KB · Views: 321
Forest Hill?
upload_2015-10-2_15-56-17.png

Why I'm neutral on this. I'll leave it to the locals.

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-2_15-56-17.png
    upload_2015-10-2_15-56-17.png
    244.8 KB · Views: 369
Oriole?
upload_2015-10-2_15-57-34.png

Too far. Go with Avenue Road.

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-2_15-57-34.png
    upload_2015-10-2_15-57-34.png
    247.1 KB · Views: 491
Science Centre?
upload_2015-10-2_15-59-22.png

Like the name. But replace the parking lot with a Science Centre expansion after station boxes for both Eglinton and the Don Mills/DRL lines are completed. Else "Science Centre Parking Lot" may have to be considered.

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-2_15-59-22.png
    upload_2015-10-2_15-59-22.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 489
Aga Khan & Eglinton? Instead of Ferrand?
upload_2015-10-2_16-1-49.png

Too far.

Maybe the local residents should suggest a better name.

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-2_16-1-49.png
    upload_2015-10-2_16-1-49.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 478
Science Centre?

Like the name. But replace the parking lot with a Science Centre expansion after station boxes for both Eglinton and the Don Mills/DRL lines are completed. Else "Science Centre Parking Lot" may have to be considered.
Do you suggest they also change the Science Centre sign right beside the existing TTC stop as well?

upload_2015-10-2_16-7-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-2_16-7-0.png
    upload_2015-10-2_16-7-0.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 478

Back