News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I wouldn't expect the City of Mississauga to put up any money. The City of Toronto shouldn't have to pay for all of it either though; this is largely the jurisdiction of GTAA and the Government of Canada.

I don't think GTAA will touch it funding wise. IIRC they believed that even UPX was outside their legal ability and required payment for the pieces that they built.

Each airport authority was created in partnership with the province and municipalities, so they have slightly different bylaws governing the corporations operations. GTAA can't necessarily do everything YVR does.

It is a project the feds would probably be thrilled to fund 50%; I just don't know who would fund the other 50%.

Last edited:
From this link.

1. West Edmonton Mall – 20,000 spaces
2. Seattle Sea-Tac Airport – 13,000 spaces
3. Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, McNamara Terminal – 11,500 spaces
4. Universal Studios, South Facility – 10,200 spaces
5. Disney World, Magic Kingdom and Epcot Lots – 23,000 spaces combined (Magic Kingdom by itself is 11,000)
6. Disneyland’s Mickey and Friends Parking Structure – 10,000 spaces
7. Chicago O’Hare Airport, Main parking garage – 9,266 spaces
8. Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Terminal 1 parking lot – 9,000 spaces
9. Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Daily Parking Garage – 8,400 spaces
10.Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Terminal D Parking Garage – 8,100 spaces
The Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport has the 8th world's largest parking lot, at 9,000 spaces. With estimates that the airport can expect more and more use, I'm sure that the GTAA would have to build even more parking spaces (where?)... or get better public transit to get to and from the airport. If the Union-Pearson Express, the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, and the Finch West LRT get eventually built, there would be less need for the additional parking spaces.

It doesn't end there.

Councillor Campbell's motion to look at more grade separation at Islington and Royal York passed 32-11.
well i drove along the stretch Eglinton and Kipling and saw the construction of those town homes along Eglinton just east of Kipling. i don't see how the city and Metrolinx can say they have enough room for the LRT and still leave 2 lanes of car lanes in both direction. And of course there has to be room for the LRT to go in the opposite direction (east) also. I just do not understanng

From this link.

5. Disney World, Magic Kingdom and Epcot Lots – 23,000 spaces combined (Magic Kingdom by itself is 11,000)
8. Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Terminal 1 parking lot – 9,000 spaces
9. Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Daily Parking Garage – 8,400 spaces
10.Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Terminal D Parking Garage – 8,100 spaces
The Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport has the 8th world's largest parking lot, at 9,000 spaces. With estimates that the airport can expect more and more use, I'm sure that the GTAA would have to build even more parking spaces (where?)... or get better public transit to get to and from the airport. If the Union-Pearson Express, the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, and the Finch West LRT get eventually built, there would be less need for the additional parking spaces.
who actually goes to the airport to park and take a flight? I would have thought taxi (now uber), family member gives a lift, of course now UP and crosstown west. But to go to the airport one would preferably like to be on grade separated transit.

From this link.

Based on the very low ridership projections across three different ridership assessments, and given the geography and sparse employment distribution of ACC, I wouldn't anticipate one or two LRT stations removing a significant number of parking spaces.

Demolition nearly complete at Oakwood Station.

Primary entrance:
P1070371.JPG
P1070372.JPG

Secondary entrance:
P1070373.JPG

Attachments

• P1070371.JPG
    P1070371.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 471
  • P1070372.JPG
    P1070372.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 428
  • P1070373.JPG
    P1070373.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 462
well i drove along the stretch Eglinton and Kipling and saw the construction of those town homes along Eglinton just east of Kipling. i don't see how the city and Metrolinx can say they have enough room for the LRT and still leave 2 lanes of car lanes in both direction. And of course there has to be room for the LRT to go in the opposite direction (east) also. I just do not understanng
It involves taking over the land where the bike path sits on and shift that south right to the property line in some cases. A whole bunch of trees would have to go too.

Eglinton west actually has a gravel/mud shoulder lane in many portions midblock. It's fine for a surface LRT but grade separation would prose some difficulty. Very long term lane closure during construction would be required in an already congested area. Good luck to them. Surface LRT would need some lane closures when they start pouring in the foundation for the tracks. Probably a similar mess like Highway 7.

Awesome. I wonder how much longer it will be until we can see the architectural features begin to take shape.
Earliest they say is 2018 for Keelesdale Station, the elevated track over Black Creek and Mount Dennis Station and 2019/2020 for the rest of the them. Keelesdale is kinda the model station and is required to complete first so they can burn in the new trains (if BBD delivers). Mount Dennis is mostly above ground so we'll see actually progress there next year. Both station are aim for completion in 2019.

Last edited:

Welcome to the club. The land sell-off was a sell-out, and now city staff have to pretend it was a good idea. Makes it very hard to have a rational discussion about how to improve the plan.

I give credit to Councillor Campbell, who while not being a transit supporter in his roots, has actually been a quick study on the issues on this project. He seems to be asking the right questions on this - and on the Scarborough subway too.

- Paul

Based on the very low ridership projections across three different ridership assessments, and given the geography and sparse employment distribution of ACC, I wouldn't anticipate one or two LRT stations removing a significant number of parking spaces.

You better read this article then, at this link. (A residential building boom is predicated on Toronto’s new subways and LRTs.)

If you're going to work as an employee at GTAA, or going by yourself to use the heavier than air machines, it would be cheaper to use the LRT at $2.90 than parking at the terminal.
GTAA parking 1.jpg
GTAA parking 2.jpg

Current prices.

Attachments

• GTAA parking 1.jpg
    GTAA parking 1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 877
  • GTAA parking 2.jpg
    GTAA parking 2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 936
Okay? What does that have to do with low ridership north of Renforth Gateway on Eglinton Line and parking spots at YYZ?
so what. Has this forum now become about low ridership north of Renforth and parking spots? Whatever pertains to what is happening along the Crosstown route is relevant.

If you're going to work as an employee at GTAA, or going by yourself to use the heavier than air machines, it would be cheaper to use the LRT at $2.90 than parking at the terminal.
View attachment 81438 View attachment 81439

Current prices.

Unfortunately for the vast majority of airport employees, the LRT is nowhere near where they work. Remember, this area is the size of Downtown Toronto. There is no plausible way for the LRT to effectively serve airport employment, and thus I wouldn't expect any LRT to result in a notable reduction in parking spaces. This is reflected in the low ridership projections of the LRT between Renforth and Pearson.

I give credit to Councillor Campbell, who while not being a transit supporter in his roots, has actually been a quick study on the issues on this project. He seems to be asking the right questions on this - and on the Scarborough subway too.
He does not always vote the 'right' way, but I am impressed that a councillor who asks questions and seemingly actually cares about the best solution to issues got elected in Etobicoke.

Back