News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

...or they could be made into Eglinton Crosstown souvenirs, just like the Maple Leaf Forever tree.

Except that they would have to ship the wood to the Far East, where they would manufacture them into souvenirs (at slave wages), then ship them back. It's the shipping cost that would end up as the biggest price tag.

(Who makes Canadian souvenirs here in Canada, anyways?):mad:

Construction Staging Set Up in Eglinton Park

See link.

Beginning in September 2016, a portion of the western frontage of Eglinton Park will be used to accommodate construction staging. Through consultations with the public and local elected officials, a reduced portion of Eglinton Park has been approved for temporary use during the construction of the Eglinton Crosstown. Access to and various uses of the park will be maintained at all times. The sidewalk in front of the park will become part of the active construction zone. Please take care when travelling near construction.

Timing

The area of the park will be occupied starting in September 2016 for the duration of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT construction (upwards of 40 months).

eglinton_park_staging_-_sept_2016.jpg

Several trees at the front of the park will be removed. Other trees will be surrounded with protective fencing. These recommendations comply with current City requirements for compensation and restoration.

Use of the Park

Avenue Station construction staging in this area will include the following uses:
  • Project materials storage
  • Soil stockpile/holding area
  • Equipment
  • Truck waiting area
  • Site crew trailers
Restoration of the Park

Restoration of the park will take place once Avenue Station and the Eglinton Crosstown construction are complete. Working with communities and elected officials, a restoration plan will be developed for Eglinton Park to enhance landscaping and improve lighting and grade, in coordination with the City and existing improvement plans.

"Almost 100% certain" Metrolinx will abandon plans for gas-fired power plant in Mount Dennis. A report on alternatives is coming soon.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...atural-gas-plant-to-power-eglinton-crosstown/

Pure fantasy. For emergency backup you need something that you can switch on and off at will, and that means firing up a fossil fuel powered generator. They might be able to do some grid-scale storage with an emerging technology like a vanadium flow battery, but it wouldn't ride out more than 24 hours of disruption. When an ice storm hits, you sometimes need days of backup before the grid connections can be restored. I'm all for using green energy to power the day to day, but its not a dependable back-up solution.

Pure fantasy. For emergency backup you need something that you can switch on and off at will, and that means firing up a fossil fuel powered generator. They might be able to do some grid-scale storage with an emerging technology like a vanadium flow battery, but it wouldn't ride out more than 24 hours of disruption. When an ice storm hits, you sometimes need days of backup before the grid connections can be restored. I'm all for using green energy to power the day to day, but its not a dependable back-up solution.

The airport generators have gobs of excess capacity. Just extend Eglinton to the airport then plug into theirs; done.

so what about the subways that run outside - eglinton to wilson for example. When has there ever been such a power disruption that has lasted more than 24 hours?

All of the traffic islands along Don Mills at Eglinton, and along Eglinton have been removed in preparation for station construction.

The backup power is for something that's needed immediately. It would be nice to have a backup allowing the line to work during power disruptions. When there's a blackout, it's necessary to get trains to platforms so people can evacuate. It will also keep elevators working for accessibility too. Even if people don't get out, they need to keep the ventilation system running.

The line doesn't need to run during a blackout. TTC subways and streetcars don't run when there's a major blackout. They only have a few hours of backup. That said, does Metrolinx actually need a major power generator? I'm not aware if TTC has one. If they did, we wouldn't have major power disruption like this: http://www.680news.com/2016/03/01/ttc-subway-streetcar-service-resumes-power-issues/

The backup power is for something that's needed immediately. It would be nice to have a backup allowing the line to work during power disruptions. When there's a blackout, it's necessary to get trains to platforms so people can evacuate. It will also keep elevators working for accessibility too. Even if people don't get out, they need to keep the ventilation system running.

I'll readily admit to not being fully versed in the background. I just assumed it was full scale backup that they were trying to build here, given the words "gas plant". If the needs are smaller (i.e. just ventilation and enough to get trains to the nearest station), then a battery bunker(s) storing green energy would likely be a feasible alternative.

Many of the "good" condos, apartment and office buildings should have a backup generator to operate some of the elevators and emergency lighting. So should public transit. Even houses are now getting a backup generator (portable or fixed).

From this morning.

Sorry but they really seem to be taking their sweet ass time.... have they no sense of urgency while the TBMs
rust away underground?

I remember reading recently that a construction crew in China tore down an ENTIRE OVERPASS
OVERNIGHT......even at 5% of the effort and manpower surely they wouldve progressed further than 1 shed......shame....

Sorry but they really seem to be taking their sweet ass time.... have they no sense of urgency while the TBMs
rust away underground?

I remember reading recently that a construction crew in China tore down an ENTIRE OVERPASS
OVERNIGHT......even at 5% of the effort and manpower surely they wouldve progressed further than 1 shed......shame....

With something like 150 excavators and crew. What would be the cost of that?

Tearing down the old terminal is not so pressing as to require throwing away gobs of money to expedite it. They have a schedule, and they are meeting it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

With something like 150 excavators and crew. What would be the cost of that?

Tearing down the old terminal is not so pressing as to require throwing away gobs of money to expedite it. They have a schedule, and they are meeting it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

And a chunk of that cost and time comes from regulating the health and safety of working conditions...

Back