News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wincott is currently the most useless stop out of the revised plan. In fact it was still the most useless stop even before they revised the plan. Widdicombe is just barely justifiable due to potential future development that may occur.

Both Wincott and Widdicombe would be easy 5 minute walks away from the grade-separated Kipling-Eglinton Stn, which assuming a 100 metre platform could have a secondary exit positioned at either of those intersections to pare down walking distances.

The data in the City report shows the usage for intermediate stops for the current 32 bus. The usage at the main cross streets dwarfs usage at the smaller local stops. It will take a lot of development to turn that around.

Even if it were possible to turn this around, wouldn't it be more preferable to have dense development at major intersections instead, where residents would have better access to north-south bus routes?

Even if it were possible to turn this around, wouldn't it be more preferable to have dense development at major intersections instead, where residents would have better access to north-south bus routes?

Well, there's the rub. There isn't much of a secondary plan for Eglinton. The sale of City lands at those intersections came out of nowhere and was a classic Ford era 'caper without a plan'. At least one of those main intersections is bordered by woodlot and there will be political carnage if that is handed to developers.

We know more about development proposals for the midpoints because their proponents have put their plans into the process, but it's hit and miss.

At the end of the day, Crosstown was was a line drawn to collect two end points and its role in serving the area it will run through is pretty insignificant, except for those main-route transfers.

- Paul

We've begun to muddle two separate issues - the spacing of stops versus the need for grade separation.
- Paul
As I recall, the spring 2016 studies found that full grade-separation had the best benefit-cost ratio. Thus, the recommendation was to maintain a few intersections.

I would add my tentative support for reducing local stops, on the grounds that people should be satisfied with a 5-10 minute walk to a transit stop. Yeah, it's not to your doorstep, but it is one mode as part of your commute/travel, and it is active; more walking needs to be encouraged for those that are able; and more accessible pathways need to be provided for those living with a disability.

My only hesitation is the street configuration of some of these blocks. The city should also be striving to provide more direct pathways to/from/between winding streets and cul-de-sacs, reducing walk time to a Crosstown stop.

I would add my tentative support for reducing local stops, on the grounds that people should be satisfied with a 5-10 minute walk to a transit stop. Yeah, it's not to your doorstep, but it is one mode as part of your commute/travel, and it is active; more walking needs to be encouraged for those that are able; and more accessible pathways need to be provided for those living with a disability.

My only hesitation is the street configuration of some of these blocks. The city should also be striving to provide more direct pathways to/from/between winding streets and cul-de-sacs, reducing walk time to a Crosstown stop.

The sidestreets along Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke are mostly 1950-1960's style of cul-de-sacs and crescents. They were supposed to be "people" friendly, but turned out not to be "pedestrian" friendly. It's okay if one stays on their own street, but it's terrible if one wants to walk to the store, school, or transit stop.

Having a transit stop only at the arterial roads, means even more walking distances to and from the stops. More walkways would have to built, if they can create one. Don't think some cul-de-sac homeowners would like to be selected to have a walkway built either next to them or their home demolished to put one in.

Yipee! They're cutting the useless Renforth Drive (not to be confused with Renforth Gateway), Rangoon and Russell/Eden Valley stops. I would have kept the East Mall though. Now if only Lloyd Manor, Wincott and Mulham would get the axe; then we'd have a true subwaylike service on Eglinton West.
so why has mulham and wincott and Lloyd Manor not been cut

Why a stop at Mulham is so badly needed is a mystery to me considering the 73B Royal York which presumably would still cater to all the apartment buildings in-between Royal York and Scarlett Rd post-Crosstown West expansion.

Widdicombe/Lloyd Manor is very close to Martin Grove and I'm assuming the Martin Grove stop will be situated to the east of the intersection.

Likewise Wincott/Bemersyde is equidistant from either Kipling or Islington and whether those stops have secondary exits (100 metre platform), it probably wouldn't be more than a 5 minute walk for most people.

And let's not forget the 405 Etobicoke community bus route already adequately serves all these aforementioned places:

And let's not forget the 405 Etobicoke community bus route already adequately serves all these aforementioned places:

Community buses do not serve anything adequately. They run an extremely limited schedule on an extremely infrequent headway with extremely small vehicles. They are designed to serve a very, very particular - and limited - segment of a very local travel market, and not applicable to any sort of regular route.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

At the very least Bellamy/Eglinton GO, the transition from Eglinton Ave E to Kingston Road, Guildwood GO and the entry onto UTSC campus from the Morningside Park bridge should all be grade separated. They could also trim down the number of stops required from 17 to 10 and use the cost savings from that towards grade-separation.

The planned stop spacing for the Crosstown East line, not that it stands a good chance of being built anyway, is already fairly wide. including some sections of 800m or more. And those grade separations could be done but are not really worth doing, the intersections at the GO stations are fairly minor, At Eglinton and Kingston the line follows the predominant flow of traffic and only crosses traffic on Kingston Road Westbound that has not turned onto Eglinton, and at UTSC the line is already separated from north of the bridge over Morningside Park to the stop at UTSC.

And I can't imagine any worth while amount of money would be saved from eliminating surface stops, they are little more than a strip of concrete sidewalk with a shelter over it.

If you consider 5 buses per day to be adequate then sure.

They could always increase the frequency if needed. What's worse adding some additional bus trips or building 3 unnecessary Crosstown stops that'll slow down the commute times for the majority of riders?

Community buses do not serve anything adequately. They run an extremely limited schedule on an extremely infrequent headway with extremely small vehicles. They are designed to serve a very, very particular - and limited - segment of a very local travel market, and not applicable to any sort of regular route.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm envisioning a sort of regular route replacing the 405. This could be tied into the planned new route 170 Emmett. So a continuous route from Mt Dennis or Jane-Eglinton to Widdicombe perhaps with every 30 minutes frequency.

Back