News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

there has been no evidence that I can remember over the last few days that the bus would be quicker than the LRT. It may be the same speed in its own ROW but I have a hard time thinking how it could be faster especially when factoring the transfer.

Whats the completion time for Eglinton West? 2026?

The mandate from city hall was to have it completed at the same time as the current eglinton project, so 2021.

However I don't think thats going to happen.

City Hall wanted Eglinton West and East completed for 2021, coinciding with the opening of the crosstown.

The mandate from city hall was to have it completed at the same time as the current eglinton project, so 2021.

However I don't think thats going to happen.

City Hall wanted Eglinton West and East completed for 2021, coinciding with the opening of the crosstown.
This would be amazing if it had larger than an infinitesimally small chance of happening. Even a 2031 opening date is quite unlikely, but who knows, maybe funding will come "fully funded" by the province in the 2022 election :p (assuming there are announcements for the 2018 election).

The big difference is that they have much shorter construction timelines than a subway - only 5 years or so. Finch is going to start full construction next spring, and will open in 2022.

That means that if these could get to tender in about 3 years from today, you could see completion in 2025 or so.

so some think we could see completion by 2025 which even i think is slow,,, anyone want to estimate how much time it will take if we make this thing an election issue demanding 100% grade separation?

so some think we could see completion by 2025 which even i think is slow,,, anyone want to estimate how much time it will take if we make this thing an election issue demanding 100% grade separation?

Im not sure on timelines but the best way I think to get politicial will involved is to call Tory out on promising "rapid transit" on this corridor with his Smarttrack plan. Make him think that he will be seen as a flip flopper if he doesnt stick to his promise of rapid transit. That, switching to LRT in his Smarttrack plan was contingent on the LRT system being upgraded to a grade separated system.

2025 completion is breakneck speed compared to the DRL which, for reasons unknown to me, won’t be starting construction until at least 2025

Because 4 transit construction projects is “too much” for the city to handle. SSE, DRL, EELRT, EWLRT.

Too much to handle, in what sense? Is there not enough labor available in the construction industry to actually build all that infrastructure simultaneously? I've heard City Planning raise that concern in the past.

Too much to handle, in what sense? Is there not enough labor available in the construction industry to actually build all that infrastructure simultaneously? I've heard City Planning raise that concern in the past.
I don’t really have anything to back this up by, but I would assume it would a logistical, economical, and political disaster if more than one project has a problem. Oh, and also add YNSE to that list.

maybe the gov't can't hand out $XX billions at the same time?

compared to the DRL which, for reasons unknown to me, won’t be starting construction until at least 2025

You are wondering why a project that will involve underground tunneling in one of the most dense areas in all of Canada will take a long time to get started?

The amount of planning that is required to do such a thing, with tons of high rise foundations, unmarked utilities, enwave pipers, etc is going to be a huge undertaking in itself.

Because 4 transit construction projects is “too much” for the city to handle. SSE, DRL, EELRT, EWLRT.
It's not that they can't build it. Smaller businesses would have their hands tied and won't be able to bid on all the projects as they don't have the capacity to carry out a surge of work. This will drive up bid prices as bidders know there is less competition as well possibly more overtime required as large construction firms are executing more work at a time.

You are wondering why a project that will involve underground tunneling in one of the most dense areas in all of Canada will take a long time to get started?

The amount of planning that is required to do such a thing, with tons of high rise foundations, unmarked utilities, enwave pipers, etc is going to be a huge undertaking in itself.
Someone needs to take a stand and commit to shovels in the ground in a more reasonable 2020.

Back