News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I know its still a few years way from opening but I think we may as well get the ball rolling on the collisions that will happen. Here'a nice compilation to get us warmed up and desensitized.

I know its still a few years way from opening but I think we may as well get the ball rolling on the collisions that will happen. Here'a nice compilation to get us warmed up and desensitized.

Toronto has had a street railway network for 157 years. I don't think Torontonians could get any more "warmed up" to the idea that collisions will happen.

Was at the Ontario science center today. Didn't realize that the above ground portion of the line has not begun construction yet.

They've done some above-ground stuff (removing medians, starting some utility relocates, but no, no work on the LRT ROW itself.

From the Star - public art for the line:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...ions-will-enliven-eglinton-crosstown-lrt.html

Have to say they look great - better than the recent crop of TTC public art.

AoD

Nice. But I’d take actual architectural features over lipstick-on-a-pig public art any day. Crosstown is going to be the most architecturally boring rapid transit expansion since Line 2. But if Metrolinx is too cheap to invest in actual architecture, I’ll take this over nothing.

“While providing transit to the increasingly congested city will be the primary function of the new LRT, the artworks — which together will cost about $10 million — are not an afterthought. ”

No, it’s quite literally an afterthought.

Last edited:
Nice. But I’d take actual architectural features over lipstick-on-a-pig public art any day. Crosstown is going to be the most architecturally boring rapid transit expansion since Line 2. A shame.

“While providing transit to the increasingly congested city will be the primary function of the new LRT, the artworks — which together will cost about $10 million — are not an afterthought. ”

No, it’s quite literally an afterthought.

Though honestly the stations as proposed is fine - the project is expensive enough as is - and I'd take it over TYSSE-styled overbuilding. Flair should only be provided where it provides the best bang of the buck on a per rider basis.

AoD

Nice. But I’d take actual architectural features over lipstick-on-a-pig public art any day. Crosstown is going to be the most architecturally boring rapid transit expansion since Line 2. A shame.

I'm keeping my hopes up. Some of the stations (Chaplin, for example, with the old Forest Hill police/fire station worked in) have been thoughtfully designed. I'm hoping the stations strike a balance between Line 2 ultra blandness and TYSSE overreach. Won't know for sure until we see if any of them let light in and have some airiness to them. That improvement in anti-claustrophoby matters more than artsy lines or interesting finishes, imho.
The fact that the stations have been scaled with an eye to the existing built form on the street is desirable, IMHO. As the street develops, the stations may shrink relative to the built form, but it will take a long time for all the 2-story residence over store 'taxpayer' structures that line Eglinton today are all gone. The street should define the stations, and not the other way round.

- Paul

As well as unneeded expense and poor choice of what adds to most riders' experiences, there's the very real issue of *disorientation* for some (and this includes myself at times, years of cancer treatment have taken a toll on some receptor processes) and from the descriptions given, I would avoid dwelling on both of these while trying to navigate my way to a destination. I'm only mildly affected, aging eyesight and compromised depth perception add to the proclivity to convolute visual planes, but for some, both of these would be an absolute nightmare:

eglinton_station.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x747.jpg
science_centre_station.jpg.size.custom.crop.850x478.jpg

Someone, a few, are *really* not thinking on this one. I'd suggest they consult some experts on this before going ahead with these at the locations stated.

How bad is this for someone with compromised perceptual abilities? Almost as bad as physical barriers for wheelchair users.

Note where the 'crystalline corruption of depth and distance' is aimed right at people on *escalators* for God's sakes. In my case, the problem is overly-acute processing of the image, to the point of affecting balance and sense of position. I'd immediately grab the moving handrail and look away. For some, that reaction wouldn't be reflexive, they'd just lose their balance on the escalator.

Read the artist's own description, and then think about how this will affect some:
Berazadi said all of the pieces are eye-catching, but she predicted transit users will particularly respond to “Light from Within,” a piece by Rodney LaTourelle and Louise Witthöft that will grace Eglinton Station.

The 13-ton panel made of mirrored glass tiles will be installed above the station escalators, confronting riders as they move down to the train platform.

According to the artist’s description, the piece was inspired by minerals, crystals and gemstones, a nod to the “subterranean nature of rapid transit.” That’s particularly fitting for Eglinton, which, because it’s being built beneath the existing TTC subway station at Yonge and Eglinton,will be the deepest LRT stop on the Crosstown.

“It’s almost like a glowing crystal as you descend down into the bottom of the station,” Berazadi said of the work.
Ya know, I don't blame the artist so much as the morons in charge of bureaucratic dispensation of saccharide disorientation. By all means *please* the eyes. But challenging the safety of a sizable minority of riders is just plain @#%&*) stupid.

Next week:
Infinity Mirrors presents a surprise display at Yonge and Bloor station! Dazzle people! Take them to a new world where what they see isn't real! See them trip and fall in delight, and bleed the meaning of life from within.

Last edited:
As well as unneeded expense and poor choice of what adds to most riders' experiences, there's the very real issue of *disorientation* for some (and this includes myself at times, years of cancer treatment have taken a toll on some receptor processes) and from the descriptions given, I would avoid dwelling on both of these while trying to navigate my way to a destination. I'm only mildly affected, aging eyesight and compromised depth perception add to the proclivity to convolute visual planes, but for some, both of these would be an absolute nightmare:

Someone, a few, are *really* not thinking on this one. I'd suggest they consult some experts on this before going ahead with these at the locations stated.

How bad is this for someone with compromised perceptual abilities? Almost as bad as physical barriers for wheelchair users.

Note where the 'crystalline corruption of depth and distance' is aimed right at people on *escalators* for God's sakes. In my case, the problem is overly-acute processing of the image, to the point of affecting balance and sense of position. I'd immediately grab the moving handrail and look away. For some, that reaction wouldn't be reflexive, they'd just lose their balance on the escalator.

Read the artist's own description, and then think about how this will affect some:
Ya know, I don't blame the artist so much as the morons in charge of bureaucratic dispensation of saccharide disorientation. By all means *please* the eyes. But challenging the safety of a sizable minority of riders is just plain @#%&*) stupid.

Next week:
Infinity Mirrors presenting a surprise display at Yonge and Bloor station! Dazzle people! Take them to a new world where what they see isn't real! See them trip and fall in delight, and bleed the meaning of life from within.
Are you saying that these art displays are comparable to a persistent strobe light?

Next week:
Infinity Mirrors presenting a surprise display at Yonge and Bloor station! Dazzle people! Take them to a new world where what they see isn't real! See them trip and fall in delight, and bleed the meaning of life from within.

I have every sympathy w/those who have assorted challenges which may be adversely affected by these particular choices.

Though I wish to add I am equally a champion of physically attractive spaces w/something better than non-descript bathroom architecture.

Personally, in respect of aesthetics, I'd rather see a focus on good materials/finishes, an interesting colour palette, better flooring (even just terrazzo w/colour variations), good ceiling finishes and quality light fixtures.

I completely appreciate, in theory, the addition of nice art, but I'm a bit concerned this often becomes an excuse to cut corners in other areas (see TYSSE w/unfinished trackside walls, mediocre light fixtures, and spots w/no ceiling finish at all.

Now, if we were to say that rider experience were also augmented by washrooms, drinking fountains, heated platforms (or a/c as per the season), and good retail amenities, I certainly would subscribe to that as well.

But that needn't come at the expense of aesthetics but as in addition to them.

Though honestly the stations as proposed is fine - the project is expensive enough as is - and I'd take it over TYSSE-styled overbuilding. Flair should only be provided where it provides the best bang of the buck on a per rider basis.

AoD

There's a broad range of options between TYSSE-style overbuilding, and no architecture whatsoever. Metrolinx seems to have gone for the latter option as much as reasonably possible.

There's a broad range of options between TYSSE-style overbuilding, and no architecture whatsoever. Metrolinx seems to have gone for the latter option as much as reasonably possible.

I don't know about that - the designs we have seen so far is clearly guided by certain design principles. I find the overall effect to be far more coherent than the TYSSE approach.

AoD

Back