News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Alternately we can modify a Crosstown Freedom LRV to run on the 509, 510, and 512. That way officials can say: 'see, those lines have been LRT since the 80s, 90s, and 00s and people forgot or didn't notice'. Cuz I think they're very much LRT, and were originally advertised as such. It could serve as a reminder.
With priority signalling, maybe

Alternately we can modify a Crosstown Freedom LRV to run on the 509, 510, and 512. That way officials can say: 'see, those lines have been LRT since the 80s, 90s, and 00s and people forgot or didn't notice'. Cuz I think they're very much LRT, and were originally advertised as such. It could serve as a reminder.

I think the more we keep the Streetcars and LRTs separate and refer to them as separate services and things, the better.

They mostly align with Line 2 stations.
509, 510, and 512? No, it's about double I think.

What may be comparable to surface LRT on the Transit City lines is the Queensway from Humber Loop to near Roncs. I did a spacing analysis on the stops compared to the Transit City lines in one of these Transit City threads back in 2009 or so, and it was very similar in terms of both spacing and average speed. (which in my mind was about 26 km/hr ... but the memory cheats ...).

Edit - the memory does indeed cheat. It was actually 2010 and a 460 metre spacing in 6 minutes which was 23 km/hr! But still higher than the 20 km/hr that pundits were predicting for Sheppard East, based on St. Clair - which isn't comparable!

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/metrolinx-sheppard-east-lrt-in-design.11784/page-9#post-420327

I believe the Crosstown is built with centre platforms at the stations. So even if you could get a streetcar running on the track and electrical, the doors would face the wrong way.

Adding to that, I don't think people without awareness would notice a big difference if you show them a PHOTO of a stop on St Clair and on the Crosstown. They won't see transit priority or stop spacing.

Those streetcar lines have way too many stops and little signal priority to make them comparable to LRT service.

509/510 have problems like being grossly undersized with the single LRV, and the issue inherent with running a segregated ROW in a truly urban environment. Lots of traffic lights, lots of stops, slower avg speeds. But that's inherent to its environment. Put an SELRT or FWLRT in the same location you'd get the same result.

On the whole though it's got grade-separations going into the subway (on each the 509, 510, and 512), and high frequencies. Those are big bonuses. Not on the scale of grandness as Crosstown, but I still consider them and future Waterfront LRT to be LRTs.

The EMSF is ready to accept the new fleet and test them in the yard once the power is turn on The OS is in place.

Work has started on pouring the deck on the elevated section on the east side of Black Creek.
44369078045_36a216df7e_b.jpg

45231572402_cce22604f9_b.jpg

44369075695_25da3fb696_b.jpg

45231576602_11131b866b_b.jpg

^Any idea whether the supply side if the electricity (switchgear, etc) is in place? What about the backup power plant?

- Paul

Are there still 2 tunnel boring machines sitting in the ground near Yonge? The 2 east driving ones?

509/510 have problems like being grossly undersized with the single LRV, and the issue inherent with running a segregated ROW in a truly urban environment. Lots of traffic lights, lots of stops, slower avg speeds. But that's inherent to its environment. Put an SELRT or FWLRT in the same location you'd get the same result.

On the whole though it's got grade-separations going into the subway (on each the 509, 510, and 512), and high frequencies. Those are big bonuses. Not on the scale of grandness as Crosstown, but I still consider them and future Waterfront LRT to be LRTs.

The biggest issue of 509 and 510 is the fact that the city disabled the streetcar signal priority on all the traffic lights.

Back