News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Elevated lines were generally looked down upon in North America during the 20th century. Since most were torn down, many groups have not complained about them in recent years, but dozens of miles of the L in Chicago were demolished due to community backlash and low ridership, while hundreds of miles of elevated lines in New York City, especially Manhattan, and most notably the Second Avenue Elevated, because of privacy and noise concerns. They believed subways were the future.
Given the construction costs, they were wrong. For example if the Sheppard East subway was elevated then I think there would be much less opposition and it would be under construction now.

Safety is a Trojan Horse argument - the opposition was never about safety on an avenue with high speed road traffic; it is always about taking up road space. Anyone who is saying their are worried about LRTs running over the damned kids should have asked for speed bumps along the road or pedestrian grade separation. They didn't. Case closed.

And in case anyone want to tell me it's about grade separation, we have another completely grade separated system nearby that is somehow insufficient as well.

AoD
Which - are you referring to the SRT, where the most populated area is adjacent to the elevated portion.

SRT is being replaced because the vehicles need to be replaced - and spending $500M (I don't remember the number from the 2006 TTC report) to replace the cars (along with some other minor improvements) is too much, but $2B on LRT and $3B on subway is ok.

For example if the Sheppard East subway was elevated then I think there would be much less opposition and it would be under construction now.

Not a chance. They'd be screaming about the noise, lost views etc. "Downtown doesn't have elevated so why should we?".

Not a chance. They'd be screaming about the noise, lost views etc. "Downtown doesn't have elevated so why should we?".

Wouldn't have to be the whole thing as elevated, just opening the dialogue. Yonge-Don Mills could be underground, then from Don Mills-Birchmount could be non-underground. That latter stretch has like two single family homes that genuinely front onto Sheppard. That's nothing.

People in Bayview would just complain about noise, but there's nothing particularly pretty on Sheppard Avenue, and there aren't even that many houses. I mean, if they choose to live next to the 401, what are you going to expect? That corridor needs to be rezoned anyways.

Of course, downtown did have that (Rosedale), and a ditch (Yonge north of Bloor), and cut and cover right through mature neighbourhoods...

Which - are you referring to the SRT, where the most populated area is adjacent to the elevated portion.

SRT is being replaced because the vehicles need to be replaced - and spending $500M (I don't remember the number from the 2006 TTC report) to replace the cars (along with some other minor improvements) is too much, but $2B on LRT and $3B on subway is ok.

Let's not be too sarcastic about it, unless you are prepared to demand them replacing the cars only (no excuses like "but we need it for GO, etc"). You voted for this government to spend that 3B, no?

AoD

Safety is a Trojan Horse argument - the opposition was never about safety on an avenue with high speed road traffic; it is always about taking up road space. Anyone who is saying their are worried about LRTs running over the damned kids should have asked for speed bumps along the road or pedestrian grade separation. They didn't. Case closed.

And in case anyone want to tell me it's about grade separation, we have another completely grade separated system nearby that is somehow insufficient as well.

AoD

You are reiterating my point that there multiple issues. Not sure it should be so crazy we build something far more efficient and save a couple lives along way.

In the areas without seperation all we're basically doing is upgrading the local bus service, making traffic worse without providing equal alternatives. Much room for improvement in all key areas of design. And to think most people could actually be supportive of it

Last edited:
I would like to see David Miller and Adam Giambrone "driving the last spike" for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.

7MCLJRZ2XRBATGPMGRFNEINMWI

From link.

w22-Giambrone.jpg

From link.

Sort of our version of:

driving-the-last-spike-on-the-canadian-pacific-railway-crai.jpeg

From link.

Back