News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Does that mean the crosstown will have the deepest station in Canada? Montreal's Charlevoix is 29m, Ottawa's Rideau is 26m, Burrard in Vancouver is 25m and Edmonton's University is 23m

I'm pretty sure Montreal REM's Edouard Montpetit Station 70 metres below the surface will soon be Canada's deepest, if not the continent's deepest.

I'm pretty sure Montreal REM's Edouard Montpetit Station 70 metres below the surface will soon be Canada's deepest, if not the continent's deepest.

Forgot about the REM station. As for York Mills, I know it's fairly deep and somewhere in the same range as the other deepest Canadian stations but can't actually find an actual depth measurement on the web. I do know it currently has Canada's longest transit escalator, which it loses the crown to Rideau station as soon as it opens

Last edited:
Does that mean the crosstown will have the deepest station in Canada? Montreal's Charlevoix is 29m, Ottawa's Rideau is 26m, Burrard in Vancouver is 25m and Edmonton's University is 23m

Which station still does not have a handicap accessible elevator? You'll think the deeper it is, they would have elevators by now. At least all of the Crosstown LRT stations will have elevators when the line opens.

Which station still does not have a handicap accessible elevator? You'll think the deeper it is, they would have elevators by now. At least all of the Crosstown LRT stations will have elevators when the line opens.

Charlevoix does not, Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa all had them from the get go. Really only Toronto and Montreal have systems old enough to have non-accessible stations, and only Montreal was still building inaccessible stations as late as the mid 80s.

Does the crosstown have redundant elevators? The confederation line has all elevators in pairs, versus the older transitway stations that only had 1 per platform.

Édouard-Montpetit will be the second deepest in North America, behind Portland's (Oregon) Washington Park light-rail station which is 79 metres down.

Source

Last edited:
Some very deep platforms are planned for the Relief Line South. It won't be as deep as the REM station under Mount Royal - but the north end of the proposed TTC Gerrard station is over 40 metres below the entrance to the platform. Presumably deeper to the track. (it's only 32 metres from the Gerrard/Carlaw intersection to the track). The plans call for 5 escalators to get to the proposed Smart Track platform!

(from page 35 of Appendix 3-2)

Even the new Relief Line platforms at Osgoode station are planned to be over 30 metres below ground surface, and the new Queen platforms are about 29.5 metres! Eve the new platforms at Pape station are 27 metres below ground surface!

Charlevoix does not, Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa all had them from the get go. Really only Toronto and Montreal have systems old enough to have non-accessible stations, and only Montreal was still building inaccessible stations as late as the mid 80s.

Does the crosstown have redundant elevators? The confederation line has all elevators in pairs, versus the older transitway stations that only had 1 per platform.

If not, then when the one elevator is out-of-service, only the escalators will be available. UNLESS, they are also out-of-service.

If it does have the deepest station in Canada, it won’t be for long. Montreal’s Édouard-Montpetit REM station, which is under construction, will be 70m deep.

Also worthy of mention is the REM station at Trudeau Airport, which will be 35m underground.

That really surprises me that their deepest is only 58m. All I remember about the tube is really tight tunnels and never-ending escalator rides!

I once walked up the stairs at Holborn station because I was not willing to wait for an elevator. Big mistake.

That really surprises me that their deepest is only 58m. All I remember about the tube is really tight tunnels and never-ending escalator rides!

The staircase in the CN Tower is 351 metres to the restaurant (overall height: 553.33 metres). So 58m is not bad for an able-bodied person.

Back