News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

They park by the old stables, or the first lot farther along. About a km.

Ah, then you're right. Not a long walk at all.

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 7.13.04 AM.png

Reactions: PL1
Front of the hospital is where the x is:
View attachment 527917
Regardless, that walk is not flat. You have to walk up a sloped road without a sidewalk. It still easily a 18-20 minute walk. Not suitable for a large portion of the hospital population.
I should have specified staff. I'm sure some very mobile patients/visitors could do this, but you're right that many/most couldn't do the walk.

Hospital Hill can be icy in cold weather, too.

its very funny seeing the 2 polar opposites here.

"it litterally will never open"

and

"check out this image of the fully complete station"
When I was younger and the internet was through my phone line, this is like the download being at 99% for far too long. We may think it is complete, but someone who is in charge of opening it says it isn't.

I have a feeling the line will open sometime next year. Maybe October. If the surface section is now the problem, then that's an easier fix. Yonge n Eglinton is being restored now and will wrap up next month.

At this rate, ECLRT and Eg West might be ready on the same date 😒

Or, maybe the western segment of ECLRT gets renamed into Eg West East, then combined with Eg West West, and begins operating from Allen Rd to Renforth.

While the rest of ECLRT gets completed together with the Ontario Line, circa 2035.
Serious question - Would you rather have Eglinton LRT and Eglinton West LRT extension open up at the same time? In this imaginery world, if both were to open at the same time it could knock off 2-3 years for the EG West Lrt extension so lets say 2027? That would mean maybe another 2 year delay for the Crosstown LRT but you get the full length open in one shot and quicker?

You have to walk up a sloped road without a sidewalk. It still easily a 18-20 minute walk. Not suitable for a large portion of the hospital population.

Wait, are patients parking for free down there and walking up? Or hospital workers? If I was a hospital worker and ALL DAY FREE parking in midtownToronto was an 18 minute walk from my office door I would TOTALLY be fine with that walk. If I'm a hospital patient with no legs and I have to push myself in a wheelchair up that hill, then hell no.

Wait, are patients parking for free down there and walking up? Or hospital workers? If I was a hospital worker and ALL DAY FREE parking in midtownToronto was an 18 minute walk from my office door I would TOTALLY be fine with that walk. If I'm a hospital patient with no legs and I have to push myself in a wheelchair up that hill, then hell no.
Yeah they could, but staff pay less for parking then patients. Staff pay max $9 a day for parking in staff parking lots or $130 a month ($6.5 a day) for a secure lot with a gate. Patients maximum is $26 and change a day though so it's a considerable difference between staff and patient parking.

Also that parking lot in the park is not large enough for the amount of staff Sunnybrook has. I work there and if I arrive late I will end up having to drive up to the 8th floor of a large staff parkade. Thankfully I only have to go in once a while, but it can be a hassle finding parking if you don't have an assigned lot.

Reactions: PL1
Sorry for continuing to sidetrack this thread.

(Continued o/t post:) Yes, some hospital workers park in the park. There is no cost to park, but there is technically a time limit (3h?) and they risk a ticket. Monthly parking is roughly $100 (by the old Vaughan Estate) and up in the parking garages, which may have a wait list (I don't drive there, so I don't know the current rates, etc.). Depending on the end of shift time (e.g. 4-5 pm) it is probably faster to walk a km and exit the park to Leslie than to try to drive out of SB to Bayview.

As for the original comment about people potentially parking in the lot by Eglinton and taking the crosstown or bus to continue their commute, I suspect that will happen once the stairs to Eglinton and pedestrian ramp open.

Personally, I feel there should be no free parking anywhere. The fine should be a deterrent and not a cost of doing business. Charge all day, every day. If there is unused capacity in the parking lots, and the TPA/parks people want to create a daily/weekly/monthly pass they can sell people, ok. But don't give the parking away.

If we're going to start taking bets on opening my money is on December 2024, with Finch in late summer or early fall.
Line 5 has to open in 2024. Unless another once-in-a-lifetime event somehow further interferes with it, I like December as a month to pick for the opening, hoping for September to line up with back to school and end of summer. Dreaming of a Spring 2024 opening announced in January.

Back