News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Not saying I doubt you or that you're wrong but wouldn't any streetcar operators have a leg up on the competition considering their prior experience with operating LRV's on the road as well as operating Flexity LRV's (not saying the Outlooks and Freedoms are the exact same but they are from the same family). Obviously they still need to go through the same training course as everyone else but I would assume they would at the very least have an easier time getting the hang of things on the EC and FW than someone who is coming over from the bus or even subway divisions.
It doesn't. If anything, those ops transferring from the subway have a leg up, although they are also having to deal with a nomenclature issue.

The signal system is a big part of the new lines, and there is no such existing system on the streetcar network - but it (especially the one on Eglinton) looks and operates similarly to that on the YUS. A substantial part of the training course covers the operation of it, as well as the various failure modes that can occur.

Dan

Not saying I doubt you or that you're wrong but wouldn't any streetcar operators have a leg up on the competition considering their prior experience with operating LRV's on the road as well as operating Flexity LRV's (not saying the Outlooks and Freedoms are the exact same but they are from the same family). Obviously they still need to go through the same training course as everyone else but I would assume they would at the very least have an easier time getting the hang of things on the EC and FW than someone who is coming over from the bus or even subway divisions.
really the only similarity between the Flexity Freedoms and Outlooks is the combined brake/throttle, the location of some controls in the cab, and maybe one interface screen. And since from what I have hear both lines are being operated from the same division they also have to learn the Alstom Citadis which has a completely different control interface than the Flexitys.

Not sure if it's relevant, but I saw a train parked on the platform at Mount Dennis station a few days ago.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's relevant, but I saw a train parked on the platform at Mount Dennis station a few days ago.
Considering the numbers of cars that have been used on the line over the past weeks and months, and the amount of operators in training right now, it would be more reportable if you hadn't seen a car on the platform there.

Dan

I wonder if ML ever considered opening the GO and UPX part of Mount Dennis Station just to do something positive? It will be interesting to see if there are going to be many GO riders getting off at either Mt. Dennis or Kennedy to transfer to Eglinton. Also the UPX is being used by many (myself included!) as a subway line. The addition of another stop will likely increase this trend.

Last edited:
I wonder if ML ever considered opening the GO and UPX part of Mount Dennis Station just to do something positive? It will be interesting to see if there are going to be many GO riders getting off at either Mt. Dennis or Kennedy to transfer to Eglinton. Also the UPX is being used by many (myself included!) as a subway line. The addition of another stop will likely increase this trend.
That probably depends on where on Eglinton they are going. If you’re heading from the Airport or anywhere on the Kitchener Line then it makes better sense to transfer at Mount Dennis, and same goes for if you are on the Stouffville and LSE lines to transfer at Kennedy.

But it could also depend on if your destination on Eglinton are closer to the respective GO station.

Back