News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It seems like these new low floor LRT systems are having tons of issues. Including Ottawa. I wonder what the problem is?

Ion seemed to go so well.
The issue in Edmonton doesn't stem from the equipment - which is almost the same as used on Ion or on the Crosstown - but rather from the construction of the fixed plant itself.

In this case, it would have been problematic no matter what kind of equipment was running on it.

Dan

The issue in Edmonton doesn't stem from the equipment - which is almost the same as used on Ion or on the Crosstown - but rather from the construction of the fixed plant itself.

In this case, it would have been problematic no matter what kind of equipment was running on it.

Dan
So is this just coincidental? What you are saying is that construction is getting shoddier lately now unrelated to the use of low floor trains. Because it seems to me that over the last 10 years construction has completely shit the bed in Canada. There were never issues like this in the past, where entire tracks had to be ripped up because the construction teams put them at the wrong level (Leslie barns track) or the tracks are the wrong distance apart (Crosstown) the billion issues on the Confederation Line, or the problems with Valley Line. Or even things like Military Road being the wrong grade and having to be redone entirely. It sounds like something has happened to the construction world where sloppiness is the standard.

So is this just coincidental? What you are saying is that construction is getting shoddier lately now unrelated to the use of low floor trains. Because it seems to me that over the last 10 years construction has completely shit the bed in Canada. There were never issues like this in the past, where entire tracks had to be ripped up because the construction teams put them at the wrong level (Leslie barns track) or the tracks are the wrong distance apart (Crosstown) the billion issues on the Confederation Line, or the problems with Valley Line. Or even things like Military Road being the wrong grade and having to be redone entirely. It sounds like something has happened to the construction world where sloppiness is the standard.

Good question.

Or maybe there was actually less transparency in the distant past, and things didn't reach the public ear.

Islington Subway station is a good example..... apparently it wasn't built to last. One wonders about the rest of the Islington and Warden extensions to Line 2.

Didn't Mirabel Airport have big problems with shoddy construction? Expo Stadium? Skydome?

I do wonder how many of the many condo towers that are being built in the GTA will develop premature problems. I do know of lawsuits already in very new buildings. The risks people are taking when they buy a condo may be grossly underestimated.... with a new home, at least you can watch it being built, and hire a home inspector for an existing house.

I am convinced that the move to P3 as a project model, and the emergence of super-size construction companies, may be driving some of this with respect to public infrastructure. It's obvious that the City isn't monitoring its construction any more, even the contract monitor role has been outsourced.

- Paul

I suppose that's one way to look at it. But I would also argue that it's been far longer than for the past 10 years.

But I think that there's certainly an aspect of currency bias to it, too. We all remember a lot of the events that you've listed. I have no doubt that there were others in advance of them because it's humans building them, but I wasn't alive or aware of them, and so I'd have to research them - and without knowing what to look for, it's a bit of needle-in-a-haystack situation.

And then there's certainly the whole idea of historical revisionism, and the tendency for the victor (to slightly misuse that term) to gloss over his/her missteps along the way. And certainly, a lot encyclopedia entries are written in that way.

So is it coincidental? Yeah, I'd argue that it is. Consider that the current trend to LRT is for low-floor vehicles - thus by virtual of their becoming more common it stands to reason that more-and-more often we are going to hear about "problems" with them. The key is going to be making sure that the actual problems get attributed to where they belong.

Dan

I think the jury is still out on what went wrong in Ottawa - is it the bogies on the trains or the tracks? There is some kvetching about "sharp curves" in the design but said curves are well over 100 metres and the trains are supposed to be rated for 25 metres.

From the latest Mx Agenda (next week's meeting) we have the following update:

1687557329654.png

From: https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/..._16.5_-_Capital_Projects_Rapid_Transit_En.pdf

Metrolinx and the consortium have been unable to fix their website for the Eglinton Crosstown. Expected resolution may take weeks or months based on past issues. I am concerned if they can't get their website running how can they build the LRT?

There's no rush - this line won't be opening for a while 😆

Back