News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I can see the sand from the excavation of the Mt. Dennis station and cut-and-cover tunnels being recycled to be used as concrete at that same site.
I can't. The permitting process with the Ministry of Natural Resources for that would likely be too complex, even for a wayside pit.

This seems a contradiction. I am calm and am trying to understand. I know that stretch quiet well as I went by there every day for 9 years. So once LRT passes Black Creek it goes underground ( going below the existing rail line) is what you are saying and what it sounds like to me which means LRT is underground as it approaches Weston Road. I still do not understand why it has to re-emerge just to go underground again to Jane St. But before that, you say the LRT will cross Black Creek using a bridge. Are you saying bridge will be built along Eglinton Avenue east of Black Creek in the middle of Eglinton? Is that what I am seeing east of Black Creek in the middle of Eglinton?

It most likely has to do with grades and the location of maintenance facility on the Kodak Lands at the top of the hill. Rail vehicles can't climb steep hills. If the LRT ran under Black Creek and Black Creek Drive it wouldn't be able to climb to the level of the maintenance facility in time. Therefore the LRT emerges from the portal east of the creek and crosses over the creek and Black Creek Drive on an overpass. From there one branch of the line will continue climbing up to the maintenance area and another will run relatively level along the north side of Eglinton and under the railway line. In the future the tunnel will be extended under Weston Road and will reemerge somewhere along the hill before Jane.

Metrolinx studies elevating eastern portion of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT
Metrolinx has began studying using elevated structures on on the Eglinton LRT east of Leslie

By: Tess Winsa News reporter, Published on Mon Mar 31 2014

Riders on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT my soon be riding above ground on an elevated structure east of Leslie. Metrolinx has began studying an elevated alignment for the eastern portion of the transit line.

“An elevated alignment could allow increased capacity on the line while being cheaper to construct than an underground tunnel,†said Metrolinx spokesperson Jamie Robinson. “Eglinton Crosstown riders could enjoy a beautiful view of the Golden Mile in Scarborough while gliding above traffic signals.â€

The elevated alignment would cost an extra $1 billion over the current at-grade alignment but would increase capacity to 20,000 people per peak hour direction.

Two machines have been drilling since last June east from Black Creek Dr. to the Allen Expressway, where they will be extracted and then put back in the ground on the other side so they can finish tunneling the 6.25-kilometre leg of the LRT west of Yonge St. Parts for the next two tunnel-boring machines to work on digging underground parts of the line — nicknamed Don and Humber — will arrive this summer and be assembled in the eastern shaft, before they start drilling the 3.25-kilometre section west to Yonge St.

"Why not put the trains underground?" asked Anne Smith of the Golden Mile Resident's Association in reaction to the news. "Our association has concerns about noise and the elevated structures blocking sunlight and taking road space from our residents. Scarborough deserves subways and these trains should be put underground where they won't disrupt traffic."

Johnny Au of York was not happy: "As candidate for the TBM tracker job at Metrolinx I oppose all non-tunnelled transit. Let's spend the extra $1 billion to put the trains underground."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...nton_crosstown_lrt_get_ready_for_traffic.html

Metrolinx studies elevating eastern portion of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT
Metrolinx has began studying using elevated structures on on the Eglinton LRT east of Leslie

By: Tess Winsa News reporter, Published on Mon Mar 31 2014

Would Johnny not be satisfied with following the erection of elevated girders above the street?

It happens much faster than the tunnelling, so I think he would actually like it.

Is this an April Fools joke?
Metrolinx is going to open an entire new can of worms if it was for real

I gotta admit, you had me until I actually clicked the link.

Oh common, I thought "beautiful view of the Golden Mile in Scarborough" would make it pretty obvious :).

I should've made it more elaborate and referenced the SRT and Vancouver Skytrain or something, and had dates for public meetings. Oh and a reference to the Neptis report.

Back