News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Looks great, but I'm still a bit upset they couldn't put the effort in to put the tracks on the south side for that stretch. Just one more unnecessary conflict with road traffic, because of cost / schedule savings that don't even matter now.
to be fair it wouldnt have been worth it since they would have to go back to the center in before Laird. youre talking about just a less than 1km section that wouldve been 4x the cost to switch alignments. the inconvenience to traffic is minimal to outweigh the cost.

to be fair it wouldnt have been worth it since they would have to go back to the center in before Laird. youre talking about just a less than 1km section that wouldve been 4x the cost to switch alignments. the inconvenience to traffic is minimal to outweigh the cost.
It's not just the inconvenience to traffic. By moving the line to the south the line would be made completely grade-separated from Science Centre to Renforth.
The decision would also been made before the portals were constructed so that they would be located on the south side.
At the current situation, we have created a weak link within a bottle-neck on the surrounding area's transportaion network.

It's not just the inconvenience to traffic. By moving the line to the south the line would be made completely grade-separated from Science Centre to Renforth.
The decision would also been made before the portals were constructed so that they would be located on the south side.
At the current situation, we have created a weak link within a bottle-neck on the surrounding area's transportaion network.
im sure there were more than just the armchair theories to factor in. youre also talking about going into celestica property.

If we had the stomach to implement real signal priority like Kitchner I would agree with you, the cost is prohibitive. However not separating this section of track from traffic will mean ATC has to be cut short 2.2km of its potential terminus at Don Mills, which is also a major interchange. The operational inefficiencies and increased costs created by this will undoubtedly dwarf the savings made during initial construction 10x over the life of the line.

If we had the stomach to implement real signal priority like Kitchner I would agree with you, the cost is prohibitive. However not separating this section of track from traffic will mean ATC has to be cut short 2.2km of its potential terminus at Don Mills, which is also a major interchange. The operational inefficiencies and increased costs created by this will undoubtedly dwarf the savings made during initial construction 10x over the life of the line.
We can thank a local community group for cancelling the plans to extend the tunnel to Don Mills, who then later complained about the surface construction and tree removal at the portal.

Personally, I feel there should be no free parking anywhere.

If you pay property tax then there is no free parking anywhere in Toronto. You've paid for those lots with your taxes so enjoy them. (If you've from out of town then I guess you're enjoying something someone else paid for.) If you are paying for Green P parking and you pay property tax then you're paying for that parking spot twice. If you want to discourage driving lobby the government to charge $100 an hour for parking, but you'll disproportionally punish the poor, the rich can still afford it.

If you pay property tax then there is no free parking anywhere in Toronto. You've paid for those lots with your taxes so enjoy them. (If you've from out of town then I guess you're enjoying something someone else paid for.) If you are paying for Green P parking and you pay property tax then you're paying for that parking spot twice. If you want to discourage driving lobby the government to charge $100 an hour for parking, but you'll disproportionally punish the poor, the rich can still afford it.
Less cars on the road AND extra money for the city to reinvest? I’m all for it. My car is only for leaving the city, it’s expensive for it’s rare use and I’m strongly considering selling it.

Less cars on the road AND extra money for the city to reinvest? I’m all for it. My car is only for leaving the city, it’s expensive for it’s rare use and I’m strongly considering selling it.

I'm all for less cars on the road. Less traffic congestion for me when I'm driving around. Let's get everyone on bikes and in buses and subways and they'll be more room for the drivers that are left.

Serious question - Would you rather have Eglinton LRT and Eglinton West LRT extension open up at the same time? In this imaginery world, if both were to open at the same time it could knock off 2-3 years for the EG West Lrt extension so lets say 2027? That would mean maybe another 2 year delay for the Crosstown LRT but you get the full length open in one shot and quicker?

Honestly, I don't see how artificially delaying Eglinton LRT can accelerate the construction of Eglinton West LRT.

Honestly, I don't see how artificially delaying Eglinton LRT can accelerate the construction of Eglinton West LRT.

They can connect both systems together in one shot, I assume lots of closures will be required on the Eglinton LRT during the testing and construction phases especially near the west end of the Eglinton LRT... people will get pissed off. But yea I see your point.

Is the UP Express connection at Mt Dennis going to be active from Day 1 of the LRT opening, or is that on a separate timeline altogether?

When I passed by two hours ago, crews were actively laying in the concrete forms along Eglinton between Holly and Yonge for the sidewalk, and it looks like a lot of the backfilling work is finished, at least from the north side of the intersection. I avoid the south side generally so I can only assume backfill work is ongoing along with final utility installation.

Back