News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

that actually can make some sense... An underground station would add quite a bit to the project but for this it might be justifiable.
Be prepared for Sunnybrook to come back saying they want a subsidy due to transit ridership cutting into their parking revenues. After all, it's what the GTAA tried to do when the UPX was opening.

Be prepared for Sunnybrook to come back saying they want a subsidy due to transit ridership cutting into their parking revenues. After all, it's what the GTAA tried to do when the UPX was opening.
I’m fine. Cut the station. The most important part is to not let the rich nimbys who won’t use the line anyways to derail the line.

Unfortunately, Sunnybrook needs the revenue to support funding.

Are collisions due to illegal left turns a significant issue for the St Clair streetcar?

We get about one a month in Waterloo with ION, and I'd say about half are at intersections where left turns are banned without a left turn lane or dedicated signal. Some people are just dumb and feel entitled. :(

Saw a family member who works for Metrolinx. I found my discussion with them about the Crosstown so disheartening. I had assumed that the line was around 80%, with more or less testing and finishing to go.

They showed me the project readiness status.

44%

I have quite strong views on that sort of thing (health service being conditional on gouging patients and staff) but in Sunnybrook’s case having lots of staff and patient parking restricts their opportunities to expand their operations, since they are hemmed in by the adjoining park. Park impacts themselves might determine how close to the campus center even a tunnel could come.

I have quite strong views on that sort of thing (health service being conditional on gouging patients and staff) but in Sunnybrook’s case having lots of staff and patient parking restricts their opportunities to expand their operations, since they are hemmed in by the adjoining park. Park impacts themselves might determine how close to the campus center even a tunnel could come.
Sunnybrook's location does it no favours: both entrances are off the same street. It's 4-5 km from the 401 and DVP, but traffic on Bayview and Eglinton can be terrible. Hopefully that will improve with the Crosstown finally opening. Another consideration for Sunnybrook wrt expansion is the local rules don't allow for greater height (not sure if this is due to the original bequest of the land, or if the Bridle Path residents want to maintain views).

Hospitals using parking to fund non-patient care operations is a direct result of government decisions regarding funding.

I'm not sure that there would be enough traffic generated by the hospital to support a stop on this hypothetical Lawrence line.

I would think that overall, having a station on an RT line for a hospital would be good for everyone. Has the hospital executives spoken to the contrary?

I would think that overall, having a station on an RT line for a hospital would be good for everyone. Has the hospital executives spoken to the contrary?
On the one hand, yeah, it's pretty out there to posit that a major hospital isn't a big enough trip generator to get a station...

On the other this is Toronto. Our performance metrics really AREN'T comparable in most terms to other North American rapid transit networks, and by our standards this probably wouldn't be an amazing performer.

On yet another, and really the most important.... A Lawrence line is purely hypothetical. Of course there hasn't been talk by the hospital, there hasn't even been talk about it politically.

Before moving this wholly into the fantasy thread though, I thought I'd mention the other thing that has crossed my mind re Lawrence. Building only the eastern side and operating as a branch of Eglinton splitting at either Don Mills or Leslie would seem to have something to be said for it given the purpose we always bring it up as having in terms of dealing with Eglinton's limitations.

Sunnybrook's location does it no favours: both entrances are off the same street. It's 4-5 km from the 401 and DVP, but traffic on Bayview and Eglinton can be terrible. Hopefully that will improve with the Crosstown finally opening. Another consideration for Sunnybrook wrt expansion is the local rules don't allow for greater height (not sure if this is due to the original bequest of the land, or if the Bridle Path residents want to maintain views).
there is a gross floor area restriction on the site for sure, which had to be increased by Council to permit an application for a Brain Science building https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-117689.pdf

Next Metrolinx Board meeting is February 15th so maybe it'll happen then.
I thought they had abandoned the "every two months" as of the last update and said "look, we'll provide an update when the opening is known to be 2 months [or 4 weeks or some other length of time] out"? Did I misunderstand/misremember that?

ETA: In this story they don't say anything about updates every 2 months, just:

“Once we are satisfied that we’ve got the risk of those contained, we’re going to announce an opening date but not before.”

Verster reiterated a recent commitment to advise the public of the opening date three months before the line becomes operational. Despite repeated questioning from reporters, he wouldn’t even rule out certain periods in the absence of providing a tentative date.

“We’re not going to be drawn on a date. We’re not going to guess which year it is. We’re just going to focus on driving the program forward,” Verster said.

Back