News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Saw a family member who works for Metrolinx. I found my discussion with them about the Crosstown so disheartening. I had assumed that the line was around 80%, with more or less testing and finishing to go.

They showed me the project readiness status.

44%
How shocking that is really depends on what 100% represents and whether the percentage includes any weighting of the components or just a count of issues. I am assuming that it is based on outstanding issues as of a certain point in time and not the building of the whole line.

Sunnybrook's location does it no favours: both entrances are off the same street. It's 4-5 km from the 401 and DVP, but traffic on Bayview and Eglinton can be terrible. Hopefully that will improve with the Crosstown finally opening. Another consideration for Sunnybrook wrt expansion is the local rules don't allow for greater height (not sure if this is due to the original bequest of the land, or if the Bridle Path residents want to maintain views).

Hospitals using parking to fund non-patient care operations is a direct result of government decisions regarding funding.

I'm not sure that there would be enough traffic generated by the hospital to support a stop on this hypothetical Lawrence line.
I recall seeing a PDF for Sunnybrook's master plan which involves adding a 6-8 story building on their current parking lot outside M-wing. All I can find now is just a photo of the proposed building on this site. Not sure if they'll retain parking at that location, but as a Sunnybrook employee my self, parking is expensive and limited.

fortunately the various busses (124, 11) make very frequent stops at the hospital but given the enormous size of Sunnybrook, a proper LRT or subway station is greatly needed.

I recall seeing a PDF for Sunnybrook's master plan which involves adding a 6-8 story building on their current parking lot outside M-wing. All I can find now is just a photo of the proposed building on this site. Not sure if they'll retain parking at that location, but as a Sunnybrook employee my self, parking is expensive and limited.

fortunately the various busses (124, 11) make very frequent stops at the hospital but given the enormous size of Sunnybrook, a proper LRT or subway station is greatly needed.
Also an employee there. It's still in the works, though I don't know the timeline. (Yes, OT)

I thought they had abandoned the "every two months" as of the last update and said "look, we'll provide an update when the opening is known to be 2 months [or 4 weeks or some other length of time] out"? Did I misunderstand/misremember that?

ETA: In this story they don't say anything about updates every 2 months, just:

From my understanding the 2 months update is still happening.

I believe what you are referring to is that Phil Vester will only announce the opening of the line 3 months (90 days) before the actual opening date.

Saw a family member who works for Metrolinx. I found my discussion with them about the Crosstown so disheartening. I had assumed that the line was around 80%, with more or less testing and finishing to go.

They showed me the project readiness status.

44%
Did they say anything about timeframe or premature ring failure?

Before moving this wholly into the fantasy thread though, I thought I'd mention the other thing that has crossed my mind re Lawrence. Building only the eastern side and operating as a branch of Eglinton splitting at either Don Mills or Leslie would seem to have something to be said for it given the purpose we always bring it up as having in terms of dealing with Eglinton's limitations.
I don’t think a Don Mills branch works - same issue as sending Line 2 up the SRT alignment in that it isn’t designed in,

Leslie/Sunnybrook Park is interesting as it would bring high order transit to the Botanical Gardens, but would be similarly difficult to build (and the left turn for cars/buses off/onto Eglinton is bad enough without adding LRV turns) plus the topography is challenging going N-S. The old Leaside Spur isn’t helpfully situated either given the Sunnybrook Park stop location.

those might have been doable with a large spend if it was demanded in the original design but it wasn’t. And none of that solves the transit disconnect east from Lawrence Station

To serve Sunnybrook properly, a line on Don Mills is needed. Which then brings me to the fantasy of something I posted on the Transit Fantasy thread about all of the former Concession and Side Road roads having an LRT/Streetcar line on them.

Leslie/Sunnybrook Park is interesting as it would bring high order transit to the Botanical Gardens, but would be similarly difficult to build (and the left turn for cars/buses off/onto Eglinton is bad enough without adding LRV turns) plus the topography is challenging going N-S. The old Leaside Spur isn’t helpfully situated either given the Sunnybrook Park stop location.
I agree that Don Mills really isn't reasonable without an incredibly awkward junction probably necessitating the reconstruction of the eastern portal... Leslie though has a lot of room around on the surface a decent incentive to reconfigure everything to maintain functional separation (or at least traffic independence) over to Don Mills. It's not good urbanism... but I think you could squeeze a road flyover in on top of a surface junction and then take the LRT north on the west side of Leslie...

From my understanding the 2 months update is still happening.

I believe what you are referring to is that Phil Vester will only announce the opening of the line 3 months (90 days) before the actual opening date.
Yes -- the news at the time seemed unclear because it was so focused on the lack of opening date and promise that we would get it 3 months before. I couldn't find any stories that also mentioned when the next status update was due.

Did they say anything about timeframe or premature ring failure?
Despite access to confidential info, this family member wasn’t able to tell me when the line would be up and running. Not because they couldn't say, but because they didn’t even know. They said that there’s a whole lot of Metrolinx that doesn’t know.

They did say that there were several FOIs “coming due soon”, if that gives any glimmer of hope as to when the public will get any tidbits of info. They implied that Phil Verster is incredibly tight lipped about everything, even when transparency would benefit him, and so a lot of the corporation is needlessly kept in the dark.

That kinda tracks with previous reports that (despite his insistence otherwise), Doug Ford is in control over what information comes out of Metrolinx.

Yes -- the news at the time seemed unclear because it was so focused on the lack of opening date and promise that we would get it 3 months before. I couldn't find any stories that also mentioned when the next status update was due.
Not sure how much weight this has but the chair of TTC was on newstalk 1010 this morning and projected that both finch and crosstown will hopefully open in sept. take it for what it is....

Not sure how much weight this has but the chair of TTC was on newstalk 1010 this morning and projected that both finch and crosstown will hopefully open in sept. take it for what it is....
Hm. Was it expressed as likely opening in September or just both would be open by September (could open earlier)?

I think there will be a point where this will have to be considered for the eastern section of the crosstown
1706544204510.png

1706544257837.png

Back