News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Ugh. I hope the city keeps data on this, and can prioritize remediations where warranted.

I hope.
For mid block no left turn intersections, I am baffled that they would have a road across the track in the first place. Perhaps blocking these with bollards would be a possible solution? I mean it's not like there is even a question of motorists to placate at locations like that.

Isn't this also assuming no big delays and the station water issues won't throw another wrench?
It’s also assuming linear progress (at least I think it is). A lot of projects don’t tend to have this? But I could be wrong - maybe linear progress the case in construction and other physical projects.

For mid block no left turn intersections, I am baffled that they would have a road across the track in the first place. Perhaps blocking these with bollards would be a possible solution? I mean it's not like there is even a question of motorists to placate at locations like that.
I think @crs1026 observed this at a regular intersection. No way to put bollards there :(

I do wish we were ok with crossing arms though.

its crazy how much development is planned for golden mile because of this project. its so much that the area is going to be horribly underserviced by this line once all the condo developments are completed. its too bad our political leaders want toc's so badly but then don't have the foresight to adequately service them.

No way the LRT will be overloaded just by the local riders, even after massive residential construction. Look at Steeles / Bathurst: packed with highrises, yet manages to do with mixed-traffic buses only, without any dedicated lanes. Each ECLRT train will have the capacity of ~ 5 buses combined, and the peak-time flow will be split between the two directions: some westwards to Yonge, some eastwards to Kennedy Stn.

No way the LRT will be overloaded just by the local riders, even after massive residential construction. Look at Steeles / Bathurst: packed with highrises, yet manages to do with mixed-traffic buses only, without any dedicated lanes. Each ECLRT train will have the capacity of ~ 5 buses combined, and the peak-time flow will be split between the two directions: some westwards to Yonge, some eastwards to Kennedy Stn.
I don't buy it. Maybe over-capacity was an exaggeration from my disdain of this whole bungled project, but with 35,000+ proposed new residential dwellings along a 2 kilometre stretch from Victoria park to Birchmont, coupled with the redundant stops and a lack of true signal priority, I expect the eastern portion of the line to be near, or at capacity very quickly once all development is finished. Also Steeles and Bathurst is a very poor comparison here in my opinion. Would hardly call 25-30 buildings around 10-16 storeys tall "packed with high rises", especially when being compared to golden miles proposed development of more than 75 35+ storey towers. That 2 kilometre stretch is going to be just as dense as North York. But I'm not gonna argue about this any longer. The whole under capacity/over capacity argument is just beating a dead horse at this point. We'll really just have to wait and see the reality of the matter once it opens.

Vic Park west to south and Credit Union Road west to south are both no left's

PS - as are Pharmacy and Birchmount west to south.

- Paul
Thanks.

Victoria Park west to south is a bit of a special case, as you do turn left to do that one at the previous lights at the other end of the platform, onto "Eglinton Square" (aka O'Connor). Maybe they just need big Victoria Park south overhead signage or something, to make things clear. Though as that whole Eglinton Park/O'Connor thing is suppose to be rebuilt with a new layout, I don't know what that does to it.

I was surprised they kept the crossing at Credit Union, as it's so close to Bermondsey. If that's a problem, they should eliminate the track crossing.

No left turns at Birchmount or Pharmacy on Eglinton Westbound. I'm surprised! There was plenty of room to put a left-turn lane in. And both are nearside stops, so I'd think that a turn wouldn't interfere with the westbound LRT operations much. The real benefit for this is eastbound Eglinton, which can have longer straight-through stages. Maybe these two should have turns added? Or changing the road layout a bit to make it more evident.

I don't buy it. Maybe over-capacity was an exaggeration from my disdain of this whole bungled project, but with 35,000+ proposed new residential dwellings along a 2 kilometre stretch from Victoria park to Birchmont, coupled with the redundant stops and a lack of true signal priority, I expect the eastern portion of the line to be near, or at capacity very quickly once all development is finished. Also Steeles and Bathurst is a very poor comparison here in my opinion. Would hardly call 25-30 buildings around 10-16 storeys tall "packed with high rises", especially when being compared to golden miles proposed development of more than 75 35+ storey towers. That 2 kilometre stretch is going to be just as dense as North York. But I'm not gonna argue about this any longer. The whole under capacity/over capacity argument is just beating a dead horse at this point. We'll really just have to wait and see the reality of the matter once it opens.
Is there an LRT line being built in the city that won't reach capacity fairly quickly after opening? Maybe Finch?

I don't buy it. Maybe over-capacity was an exaggeration from my disdain of this whole bungled project, but with 35,000+ proposed new residential dwellings along a 2 kilometre stretch from Victoria park to Birchmont, coupled with the redundant stops and a lack of true signal priority, I expect the eastern portion of the line to be near, or at capacity very quickly once all development is finished.
That seems unlikely to me. The 2031 AM peak ridership per direction per rider was only modelled to be 3,000 at Victoria Park. And that did account for densification. With 600 on a train, that's a train every 12 minutes. Even if you assume the capacity on the surface sections is only every 4 minutes, that's 15 trains an hour - capacity of 9,000. Probably higher, as I think you can both run a train every 4 minutes, and with more than 500 people.

The modelling would have to be extremely wrong, for the ridership to be 3 times higher than forecast. And if the LRT is so utterly successful (in contrast to what some here say), then it's time to build more of them - on St. Clair and Lawrence!

Is there an LRT line being built in the city that won't reach capacity fairly quickly after opening? Maybe Finch?
No there isn't.

Conversely, is there an LRT line being built in the city that will reach capacity fairly quickly after opening? Of course not.

I really love the fan optimism that LRT is going to be so hugely successful, but I'd be shocked if ridership was double that forecast; and it would have to be much higher to exceed capacity for many years. I think the best to hope for is that they might have to buy more cars sooner than planned.

I guess we have to wait and see. However, it should be noted that while frequent stops and a lack of signal priority increase the travel time, they do not affect the line's capacity. The same number of trains per hour will pass any given stop, they just travel slower between the stops.

I guess we have to wait and see. However, it should be noted that while frequent stops and a lack of signal priority increase the travel time, they do not affect the line's capacity. The same number of trains per hour will pass any given stop, they just travel slower between the stops.
Which mathematically would reduce demand, and increase capacity.

Reducing speed does reduce capacity. If a train doubles its average speed then it can make a trip twice as often, doubling its capacity. That's an oversimplified example but the principle applies in the real world. An on-street LRT that doesn't have to wait at red lights will get to the end of the line faster and will be able to start coming back sooner, increasing the number of people it can carry in a day. The subway and GO trains have so much capacity not only because of the size of the trains, but also because they're fast.

Still looks like it's travelling too slow. I hope when the line officially opens, the travelling speeds will be quicker than what I'm seeing in this video. The C-trains in Calgary were a lot faster than this. I also didn't like how often the train had to stop for red lights. Really seemed to slow things down.
C train does stop at red lights in the downtown core, it’s a major flaw in their system. If I recall it was planned to eventually become a tunneled section when the lrt was originally conceived. But as with most pre-metro systems, the upgrade to full grade separation never really happens.

Back