News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Thanks for that!

Key Bits:

23/40 occupancy permits for stations/major structures.

Yonge/Eglinton substantially complete

System Integration was at 15% in November is now at 28%

Phil seems pleased at the above

He expresses concern over the signalling/train control system which needs a couple of more releases/iterations to get it to where it needs to be.

No date yet.
Just for further clarity (now that I can watch the video in an easier location and can see the transcript), he was referring to the roadworks and didn't mention the station itself.

View attachment 538315

And I'll correct myself. He didn't say "bugs" he said "ironing out" some wrinkles. So a different analogy.

View attachment 538318

From today's board meeting:

1708022765359.png

This appears to be a further update from November when it was 28% (see post above) so per today it's now 36%.

Video here. Time-marked link to Crosstown update (I haven't had time to hear if there were other updates on the 'five work streams' cc @Northern Light):

View attachment 540871

This appears to be a further update from November when it was 28% (see post above) so per today it's now 36%.

Video here. Time-marked link to Crosstown update (I haven't had time to hear if there were other updates on the 'five work streams' cc @Northern Light):

They've been carting away scaffolding and equipment from most of the underground stations the past week or so

View attachment 540871

so theyve gone up 21% in 4 months.... pace still needs to pick up if theyre going to open Q4.. at their current rate they still wont make it in time.

View attachment 540871

2.67% per month progress, on average, in each of the last 3 months. At that pace Crosstown will complete in another 24 months........... colour me unimpressed!

View attachment 540871

I listened.... The occupancy permits were for all the large/complex stations which I assume is good news.

Phil seemed most concerned with the signaling system & software updates from Alstom.

FWIW I had an errand on Eglinton East this morning. In the drive from the DVP to Kennedy I counted four two-car LRV sets out testing or training. That’s fairly intensive operation, suggests things are ramping up a little.
I also noted that towards the end of green light cycles, where both transit and auto signals are green, the transit signal goes yellow well before the auto signal does. Also, pedestrian signals count down but the countdown ends well before the auto signal turns yellow, so there is anperiod of “Don’t walk” at the end of the cycle. Seems in both cases, the timing is conservative so no one outruns the cycle.
Maybe I’m just getting used to the new layout, but as a motorist trying to be careful, it sure felt like there were more signs and signals to digest than felt right. I did observe one motorist attempt a left turn at a no-left intersection, which planted them right on the tracks while they awaited a gap in oncoming traffic. The prohibition was signed, but not that prominently among other signage, and more visible after starting the turn than approaching the intersection. (The lack of left turn lane might be a hint, of course….)
Anyways, things seemed credibly close to a fully operable state.

- Paul

Last edited:
FWIW I had an errand on Eglinton East this morning. In the drive from the DVP to Kennedy I counted four two-car LRV sets out testing or training. That’s fairly intensive operation, suggests things are ramping up a little.
I also noted that towards the end of green light cycles, where both transit and auto signals are green, the transit signal goes yellow well before the auto signal does. Also, pedestrian signals count down but the countdown ends well before the auto signal turns yellow, so there is anperiod of “Don’t walk” at the end of the cycle. Seems in both cases, the timing is conservative so no one outruns the cycle.
Maybe I’m just getting used to the new layout, but as a motorist trying to be careful, it sure felt like there were more signs and signals to digest than felt right. I did observe one motorist attempt a left turn at a no-left intersection, which planted them right on the tracks while they awaited a gap in oncoming traffic. The prohibition was signed, but not that prominently among other signage, and more visible after starting the turn than approaching the intersection. (The lack of left turn lane might be a hint, of course….)
Anyways, things seemed credibly close to a fully operable state.

- Paul
The number of sets are about the same I saw in January that were moving very slowly.

As for the traffic lights for the line, it has been that way since day one where it becomes red 10-20 seconds before traffic lights turn yellow. I don't know of another system where transit gets red before traffic does. Seen a few where transit is still green when traffic becomes red with nothing on the line.

Pedestrian countdown becoming red long before traffic seeing yellow let alone red is common for lots of places across the GTA to the point it can be 30 seconds or more before traffic stops. The same can be said for the flashing do not cross signals that you can miss catching a transit vehicle. Some countdown signals are too short that it takes two lights to cross Eglinton. Hwy 7 BRT is really bad for that

I have seen numerous drivers make illegal left turns or U-turns on the red since day one as well across the GTA. A fair number of drivers stop past the stop line as well blocking the crosswalk.

Always looks odd to have a tram running through big box power centres and auto malls like that, but I am reminded that the entire area will be completely unrecognizable from today in 10-20 years.
its crazy how much development is planned for golden mile because of this project. its so much that the area is going to be horribly underserviced by this line once all the condo developments are completed. its too bad our political leaders want toc's so badly but then don't have the foresight to adequately service them.

Great, long testing video. Looks like train speeds have increased which is good to see.

Still looks like it's travelling too slow. I hope when the line officially opens, the travelling speeds will be quicker than what I'm seeing in this video. The C-trains in Calgary were a lot faster than this. I also didn't like how often the train had to stop for red lights. Really seemed to slow things down.

I did observe one motorist attempt a left turn at a no-left intersection, which planted them right on the tracks while they awaited a gap in oncoming traffic.
Ugh. I hope the city keeps data on this, and can prioritize remediations where warranted.

I hope.

Back