News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Great so we just need to build another short tunnel, an elevated guideway, two big elevated stations, and mine out four underground stations. Good thing we got a head start on the stations unlike last time, right guys? 2025 opening? Yeah sure write it on the docket.

I mean, Metrolinx never claimed a 2025 opening for the West extension. It was 2027 originally and was quickly changed to 2031 even before construction started. And seeing the progress, it looks like this date is definitely achievable. This is in stark contrast to the Crosstown where we still don't have an opening date.

The underground stations aren't mined. All stations have headwalls installed prior to TBM tunnelling through the location. Now it's a matter of digging down between the headwalls and building the stations.

The short tunnel section between Jane and Weston is going to be mined and that contract was just awarded, I believe.

The elevated and underground stations aren't that big either. 90m to accommodate 3-car trains. And there is tons of open space for them to use in this area of Eglinton west. Most of the stations (except Kipling) are under the greenspace just north of Eglinton avenue meaning even traffic won't be drastically affected.

Overall, the West extension is leaps and bounds better executed than the original Crosstown. Mostly because it's just a much simpler project, but I'd like to hope it's also because Metrolinx doesn't want another huge debacle like the Crosstown.

March 01
Haven't been in the mood to work on my photos, let alone post them that I just finished doing March 01's that was the largest of the lot and working on March 03.

Still a lot of work for the Yonge area and split the photos with the stations thread. More up on my site at the beginning of the day and the end of the day shooting of 546 photos
53596976498_2be86ddf86_b.jpg

53595889212_53296be2f6_b.jpg

53596764356_052793d5ee_b.jpg

53597088979_ca74c2dffa_b.jpg

53598069884_2bddeec452_b.jpg

53597951878_23a30a8f01_b.jpg

I mean, Metrolinx never claimed a 2025 opening for the West extension. It was 2027 originally and was quickly changed to 2031 even before construction started. And seeing the progress, it looks like this date is definitely achievable. This is in stark contrast to the Crosstown where we still don't have an opening date.

The underground stations aren't mined. All stations have headwalls installed prior to TBM tunnelling through the location. Now it's a matter of digging down between the headwalls and building the stations.

The short tunnel section between Jane and Weston is going to be mined and that contract was just awarded, I believe.

The elevated and underground stations aren't that big either. 90m to accommodate 3-car trains. And there is tons of open space for them to use in this area of Eglinton west. Most of the stations (except Kipling) are under the greenspace just north of Eglinton avenue meaning even traffic won't be drastically affected.

Overall, the West extension is leaps and bounds better executed than the original Crosstown. Mostly because it's just a much simpler project, but I'd like to hope it's also because Metrolinx doesn't want another huge debacle like the Crosstown.
Yeah I was never expecting anything sooner than ~2030, just thought it was funny someone would call for it on the last page of the thread 🤣

Thanks for the update, good to know about headwalls and second tunnel contract. Looking forward to seeing some drawings of these stations, especially Renforth.

Last edited:
?

I thought the opening dates being bandied about was for the Crosstown only (excluding extension). Why are we suddenly talking about the extension opening?

Note that I specified “excluding the extension” in my post because a number of the discussions prior to mine referenced the Crosstown, the West extension or both - and I wanted to be very clear.

?

I thought the opening dates being bandied about was for the Crosstown only (excluding extension). Why are we suddenly talking about the extension opening?

Note that I specified “excluding the extension” in my post because a number of the discussions prior to mine referenced the Crosstown, the West extension or both - and I wanted to be very clear.
I suspect the comment about opening both at once referred to Lines 5 and 6, not 5 and 5 west.

I don't have the time to scroll up and confirm that right now

The opening of line 5 phase1 will take place years before phase11 as phase11 is supposed to be around 2030. TTC Line 2 open in several phases and it is common to see it happen on other transit plans around the world.

Ford wants to go in to 2026 election year smelling roses with all the ribbon cutting he can get done in the next 18 months for transit.

We can see this line opening either by year end or Q1/2025 with the next few months giving a better idea on timeframe. The surface area doesn't have to be 100% to open the line.

Line 6 will open this fall with Line 10 opening in Q4/2025 or Q1/2026. Line 10 will open in either 2 or 3 phases depending on next week's budget announcement.

The opening of line 5 phase1 will take place years before phase11 as phase11 is supposed to be around 2030. TTC Line 2 open in several phases and it is common to see it happen on other transit plans around the world.

Ford wants to go in to 2026 election year smelling roses with all the ribbon cutting he can get done in the next 18 months for transit.

We can see this line opening either by year end or Q1/2025 with the next few months giving a better idea on timeframe. The surface area doesn't have to be 100% to open the line.

Line 6 will open this fall with Line 10 opening in Q4/2025 or Q1/2026. Line 10 will open in either 2 or 3 phases depending on next week's budget announcement.
What is Line 10?

Why line 10….. did amalgamation take place, or just 416’ers sense of entitlement ?

It leads towards a future where the Mississauga Transitway gets a number when it becomes a rail service (whether it's a continuation of Crosstown or not, I won't even guess at), and I think it's within the realm of reason that the GO lines will get numbers as well.

I mean, the names "Lakeshore East" and "Lakeshore West" are purely relative to Union Station, right? Part of what needs to happen in the decades to come is to break the old way of thinking that these lines only exist to get people to downtown Toronto.

I mean, the names "Lakeshore East" and "Lakeshore West" are purely relative to Union Station, right? Part of what needs to happen in the decades to come is to break the old way of thinking that these lines only exist to get people to downtown Toronto.
It’s not relative to Union. Lakeshore Boulevard itself is divided between east and west at Yonge Street, like many of its cross-street thoroughfares are (Bloor, Dundas, Eglinton, St. Clair, Lawrence, etc.). This has been (somewhat) reflected in the naming of TTC subway stations east and west of the Yonge line, and standardized more recently in the renaming of Downsview as “Sheppard West”.

Back