It depends on whether it's a sunny day or an overcast day like today. Also, as the precast is added to Uptown the blue in Blu becomes more apparent with the contrast in materials side by side.

Well I don't like when the glass (in photos of the east facade) looks baby blue.... it just looks cheap, especially with the spandrels appearing silver in such photos. Of course that is the lighting.

In person you always get a nice sense of the glass being dark grey and the spandrels going well with the rest of the glazing.

Crystal Blue and Uptown - pic by Jasonzed at SSC....

20091017036.jpg

I'm starting to think CB would have been very striking on its own, away from other highrises. A thin sliver of a building like that would have stood out really nicely. It will be dwarfed and overshadowed by Uptown and Manulife.

I like Crystal...

It's due to it's size that makes it a nice building... I like how it's so skinny and petite!... It makes it look taller than it truly is! and it fit's in remarkably into the skyline and surrounding buildings.... I don't like the glass though... (it's to faded and cream/grey coloured..)... It's also (potentially) gonna clash with Uptown Residences...

Uptown=Classic (whitish beige colour)

Crystal=Modern (blueish whitish greyish colour)

They don't look nice together IMO, it's just that crystal is so simple in design and uptown has variations in design and they're so close together and one is taller than the other and one is more modern than the other... (run-on sentence!)...

But we'll see how this one turns out!

You're right, Steve. Skyscrapers are meant to look tall and the best way to do that is to narrow the footprint. Trump, Spire and, of course - the queen of anorexic skyscrapers - 1 King West, all do this pretty well. OTOH, our office projects are fatasses. I mean, RBC looks like it has the dimensions of a fridge. Despite being taller than 1KW it looks incredibly squat. Know what I'm sayin'?

Perhaps we'll see more such sliver towers when the only things left to redevelop downtown are parking lots that aren't a full block in size, or individual buildings that are difficult or impossible to assemble together into larger sites.

Even ugly buildings almost invariably look good when they're anorexic...even precast tanorexic towers.

You're right, Steve. Skyscrapers are meant to look tall and the best way to do that is to narrow the footprint. Trump, Spire and, of course - the queen of anorexic skyscrapers - 1 King West, all do this pretty well. OTOH, our office projects are fatasses. I mean, RBC looks like it has the dimensions of a fridge. Despite being taller than 1KW it looks incredibly squat. Know what I'm sayin'?

Yeah... RBC looks REALLY chunky from the east/west sides... And even from the south it looks chunky DEPENDING where you are standing...

One that is the KING of chunky IMO is Telus tower... I HATE the dimensions of that buildings... It's short and fat>..... the worst of both worlds...

Bay Adelaide is somewhat in between but as seen from Bay Street near Dundas or Queen it looks fat and takes up too much room... But from alot of angles it looks nice!

Trump is gonna LOOK tall cause it's so skinny BUT it will be surrounded by alot of other skyscrapers that will block out a whole side of it... (BA is a prime example on how more than 75% of Trump is blocked out by it...)

1 King is the KING of skinny... NO exceptions!

I know what you mean!

Blu from Gerrard & Yonge.
A week ago Therion indicated there were 10 floors to go, so 9 now + rooftop mech. This and Uptown are going to have a considerable impact on the downtown Yonge Street corridor when complete.
My batteries ran out before I could get a more dramatic shot from Carlton & Yonge.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Yeah... A really big impact from Yonge street!

1 Bloor WOULD have looked SO nice from that intersection... To bad...

I highly doubt Great Gulf Homes will create something to rival what Bazis did :(

well.... no where near NY or Chicago so far... We don't have many street canyons lined with skyscrapers row by row.... We have alot of really bad street walls such as Yonge Street near gerard, etc.. but MAYBE one day we'll get there (but by then the other cities would have advanced further of course :( )

IMO-

Chicago may have us beat as far as REALLY tall buildings go (and arguably the beauty of its skyline). But according to this Emporis ranking, we've got more "highrise" buildings...behind only New York in NA.

http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/ma/ct/ci/?id=100007

And once all the buildings in this area are finished (CB, Uptown, One Bloor, Casa, etc.), we'll have two significant areas of height here – kind of a mini version of Manhattan with the Financial District and then Midtown.

Chicago may have us beat as far as REALLY tall buildings go (and arguably the beauty of its skyline). But according to this Emporis ranking, we've got more "highrise" buildings...behind only New York in NA.

http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/ma/ct/ci/?id=100007

And once all the buildings in this area are finished (CB, Uptown, One Bloor, Casa, etc.), we'll have two significant areas of height here – kind of a mini version of Manhattan with the Financial District and then Midtown.

Yeah.. I've heard that alot... But i don't see how that is possible... I mean, our downtown isn't really that large compared to other cities (such as NY)... I'm not sure how emporis classifies highrise buildings... (maybe cause we have alot of sub-urban buildings like North York City Centre...)

I think this building will look good when finished. I don't think we have a building in Toronto with that colour cladding.

Back