Nice updates/pics! Crystal Blu looks much better on a clear-blue day cause the cladding looks much bluer rather than grey! Uptown's almost going to overtake crystal blu! (give it 2 months)...

Looks like they're about to start taking down the tower crane. Sadly I can't hang around all day and watch.

DSCN5683.jpg

DSCN5684.jpg

Awesome close-ups!

Context shot from the west:

dsc0003dv.jpg

© SP!RE/thryve/andrewharv

Cool news guys! (and nice pics)! The crane removal will leave some space for the Uptown Crane to swing around once its higher up! :D

Glass is up on most of the balconies, as well as on a handful of juliet balconies on the north side of the building.

Every time I go for a walk around Yonge and Bloor, I am surprised at just how much I hate this building...it's not so much the grey colour itself as the sheer quantity of blank grey panels. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just seems to unbelievably uninspired, especially given its relatively prominent location. Even BSN has more character than this thing! (I acknowledge, however, that the slender silhouette is fantastic.)

Grey instead of Blue is what ruined it for me, simple. Too bad because I (like many) enjoy the unusual slim form, the window sizes are fine and I think I'm going to like the entrance on Balmuto Street. They should be dealing with the roof in about a month, let's see if they can do anything redeeming up there.

I don't hate this building at all....I think it is turning out waay better than the render - which I did hate....

From out front of the RBC atm's or where Number One Bloor is going, CrystalBlu and Uptown have INSANE presence-- they just tower so high above everything else. Quite an effect.

March 16th Update

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Great pictures Steve. The sides of this building look awesome. The front and back, though, are uneven and horrible. This tower is a complete paradox. In my opinion, the podium and roof are awful and the front/back are a disaster. However, the curtain wall running up the sides are impressive, slick and do an amazing job of defining the tower's lean proportions. Usually I'm a fan of balconies but the balconyless walls with this mixture of mullions, spandrels and windows really work well on this project.

Back