It would be dynamite to see this move forward in the next year or so. I hope that the concourse isn't lost and I'd like Cumberland Ave. to be left alone with eastbound traffic only.

To bad the height could not be taller over by Bay street as it will be out of place with the rest of the area. A few more floors would help.

The poor folks at CIBC will loose their nice view in a few years. Same can be said for the RBC.

Now to fix Holt Renfrew flagship store and Bloor St between Bay and Yonge.

Then we should look at doing something with HBC.

Definitely. Holts is long overdue for a refresher and HBC, well, that one is a pickle. The RBC is problematic whereas I'm sure that opening up The Bay to the street creating retail opportunities is doable along with a new vision for the exterior.

Good density coming to this Boor/Yonge area, now if we can only get them to build couple of 300 meter towers....
I cant think of a better place in the city for a couple supertalls.

Last edited:
A 300 metre tower will still out like a sore thumb among the few 150 m, the one 200 m, and possible one a little taller . "sore" instead of "soar" being the optimal word considering residential design especially in that area.

C'mon, admit it. In your mind, Anyplace is the best place for a supertall.

;)

A 300 metre tower will still out like a sore thumb among the few 150 m, the one 200 m, and possible one a little taller . "sore" instead of "soar" being the optimal word considering residential design especially in that area.

;)

Do you expect the Yonge-Bloor cluster to suddenly stop growing? I'm sure that the area will be littered with 150-250 metre towers 20 years from now, in which case a 300 meter tower wouldn't be out of place in the least.

about the concourse....

I know the guy who owns a tea shop on the underground concourse level who told me a couple of months ago that they were all set to go with construction before the recession kicked in.

He got the papers explaining the construction and that all the shops on the lower levels would have to move and then found out the construction date was stalled.

At that point he didn't know when he will have to move his business but knows that it will happen. Where he moves his business too is something I don't know or whether once construction is finished, he can move his shop back.

;)

Not in my backyard, hahaha.... but i get this feeling that in your little closed mind there is no place for a 300 meter building anywhere in TO.
Come-on, in Toronto nowadays you would have to build 400 meters and up to stick out like a sore thumb, and even that i doubt.

I'd like to see one or two taller buildings anywhere downtown but the point remains that anything 100m taller than what is currently proposed or u/c will stick out like crazy. I even made this point about Four Seasons the other day. At 204m it is absolutely towering over anything immediately to the north especially. Anyways, it remains to be seen if Toronto can support anything over 300m... for now I'm satisfied seeing the increased density we are getting (though a lot of the architecture could be better of course)

Not in my backyard, hahaha.... but i get this feeling that in your little closed mind there is no place for a 300 meter building anywhere in TO.
Come-on, in Toronto nowadays you would have to build 400 meters and up to stick out like a sore thumb, and even that i doubt.

Wow, those um 25 500 footers around town have really gone to your head. The only place where 300 metres wouldn't stick out is the finanical district which, unfortunately, has shadowing issues. And, yeah, I'm not keen on the prospects of a 1000 foot residential/hotel tower eventhough the large commercial developers in the city/country are among the most conservative. That view may continue to change in regards to Aura. You have the grace of Ritz although the mechanical penthouse cladding could still ruin it . No light grey spandrel please! You also have the dominance of RoCP and the rising Uptown and think maybe Crombie was onto somethin'.

What a complex and fascinating project.

Nice to see that the amazing rendering we got last year was accurate! I love the rooftop villas!

I'd like to see one or two taller buildings anywhere downtown but the point remains that anything 100m taller than what is currently proposed or u/c will stick out like crazy. I even made this point about Four Seasons the other day. At 204m it is absolutely towering over anything immediately to the north especially. Anyways, it remains to be seen if Toronto can support anything over 300m... for now I'm satisfied seeing the increased density we are getting (though a lot of the architecture could be better of course)

Truthfully do you think the 450 meter Petronas towers would stick out like a sore thumb in Toronto, Thats what they were all saiying back in the old days about Kuala Lampur,the rest is history..

city-skyline-of-kuala-lumpur-mal406.jpg

Perhaps I can see AG suggesting that we should have a government agency using tax dollars to sponsor a trophy project? Like LCBO Tower? I am sure the need for a 400+ tower is well justified.

Personally, I am more concerned about the land use for the site than the simple issue of height.

AoD

pretty sure land use encompasses more than just the proposed use of the development.

The number of rental units OMERS is developing is mind blowing. More than everyone else combined. Makes me really curious about the future of these rentals

I am sure that rentals in good locations would have a good future. There are actually relatively few "purpose-built" rentals being built in recent years, and the demand for newer rental units is being met by private investors renting units one by one in condos. The market would seem to be there for a new development or two. The building proposed next to One City Hall at Bay and Dundas is another one, but few others come to mind.

Back