It's great an office building is going on site here, though half of me wishes Daniels would have just leased space in the East Bayfront office buildings so those could get off the ground.

It's great an office building is going on site here, though half of me wishes Daniels would have just leased space in the East Bayfront office buildings so those could get off the ground.

Maybe it will help create a critical mass - not just for office space, but also for transit improvements. Also, I believe the intent of the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan is to create an office-oriented land use model for the sites on the north side of QQE.

AoD

That sounds great ! I'm still surprised they're building 2 office buildings ? Was that the plan for the northern portion of the site ? They're currently located downtown (near Queen and Yonge if I recall).

Daniels are in the tower at the south end of the Eaton Centre yes

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 3Y5

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 264325 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 15, 2014

Project: Other Shoring

Description: Stand alone shoring permit for site remediation purposes for future development. See related permit 14 230224 STE. 130-132 Queens Quay East.

Should we start a betting pool on how long the sugar refinery remains now that Cuba & the US are establishing relations? There won't be an economic case for shipping raw sugar this far for much longer.

Should we start a betting pool on how long the sugar refinery remains now that Cuba & the US are establishing relations? There won't be an economic case for shipping raw sugar this far for much longer.
Redpath is owned by American Sugar Refining who have six plants scattered around North America. This is their only Canadian plant and they refine sugar from many places, certainly not all of it comes from Cuba. They have recently upgraded the plant so I would say we will have it here for a while. Good thing too as it provides employment.

Food processing is one of Toronto's core industries and amounts to being one of the largest food processing centres in North America. Why would a new found relationship between Cuba and the US have any real impact on the strategic location of this plant?

Because it would be cheaper refine the sugar in Santiago, or Havana, or Tampa, or Mobile, or Savannah, than to ship it here to be refined.

Ever see how they handle the raw sugar at Redpath? They push it around with a bulldozer, like it was a pile of dirt. Handling costs would probably be greater for already cleaned and refined sugar that they couldn't treat so rough.

I remember on the tour of the place and museum ... which is really neat btw .. this question is always asked and they respond with, its actually cheaper to do the refining locally (essentially what people are saying above), of course take it was a grain of salt (ah, no grain of sugar .. ha ha ..) given the source but ..

Back