So The Guvernment officially closed on the weekend and The Kool Haus as one more event this weekend. Any idea on the timeline for when this project will get started?

Also does anyone have pictures of the site before its club era and what it was previously used for? I wouldn't think it has always been a nightclub, or has it?

I don't know if this warrants its own thread or not, but the question about The Guvernments replacement came up in the thread. Charles is planning extensive renovations on the Sound Academy.

I like it. I always imagined Polson Pier (maybe expanded to Cherry) as a great place to set up a new entertainment district. I imagine one day a street lined with clubs, bars, and restaurants along with other forms of entertainment.

gPaetpu.jpg

So The Guvernment officially closed on the weekend and The Kool Haus as one more event this weekend. Any idea on the timeline for when this project will get started?

Also does anyone have pictures of the site before its club era and what it was previously used for? I wouldn't think it has always been a nightclub, or has it?

Well back in 1984 it was RPM and we'd go down for the all ages Sunday.....great venue. Anybody else remember the different themes they would have inside.......Don't know what it was prior to that.
rpm.jpg

Attachments

• rpm.jpg
    rpm.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,694
the funny part is that if that same photo was taken today there would likely be more public parking in the picture, just in that single gigantic garage along the rail corridor instead of multiple surface lots.

Before RPM it was called something else....can't remember, I'm getting old!! It became RPM in the late 80's I believe. Going of topic and although I'm too old for clubbing anymore I find the cities lack of zoning appalling! With the entertainment district as most of us knew it, re-developed with residential towers have they even thought about where in the city centre, they will allow a place for entertainment to exist?? Or will they make those who want to go out to a club have to drive to the suburbs......

Before RPM it was called something else....can't remember, I'm getting old!! It became RPM in the late 80's I believe. Going of topic and although I'm too old for clubbing anymore I find the cities lack of zoning appalling! With the entertainment district as most of us knew it, re-developed with residential towers have they even thought about where in the city centre, they will allow a place for entertainment to exist?? Or will they make those who want to go out to a club have to drive to the suburbs......
I do not think the Zoning has changed - what HAS changed is that the land is now worth more and the owner can sell it for lots of $$ to someone who wants to build condos, offices or ?? When an area changes it is always a problem for those activities that USED to fit into it with no problem - look at the complaints from new residents of the Entertainment District who complain of noise or the folk near the meat plant near Liberty Village who do not like the smells. (Both noise and smells long pre-date the complainers.)

I don't know if this warrants its own thread or not, but the question about The Guvernments replacement came up in the thread. Charles is planning extensive renovations on the Sound Academy.

I like it. I always imagined Polson Pier (maybe expanded to Cherry) as a great place to set up a new entertainment district. I imagine one day a street lined with clubs, bars, and restaurants along with other forms of entertainment.

I love this idea. It's far enough from the built up area that complaints about noise and partiers would be minimized, plus you get great views of the city from the Sound Academy/Polson Pier. Could be a great tourist/entertainment district. Not sure how receptive Waterfront Toronto would be to that idea though, they seem more focused on live/work neighbourhoods going in there.

I love this idea. It's far enough from the built up area that complaints about noise and partiers would be minimized, plus you get great views of the city from the Sound Academy/Polson Pier.

Polson Pier: 'On July 24, 2006 the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario revoked the Docks' liquor licence. This was the culmination of a 10 year long dispute with the Toronto Islands' residents regarding excessive noise.'

they must have gotten it back for Cabana Pool Bar - although it closes at 11pm

The Guvernments replacement came up in the thread. Charles is planning extensive renovations on the Sound Academy.

Yeah, I read in an article the renos at Sound Academy will run 5-6 Million dollars and another one mentions that it will improve sound, sight lines, balconies and lighting. That's not at all, though. He's still got another Guv replaced coming in a few years.

"INK Entertainment will continue to host concerts at Tattoo Rock Parlour and Sound Academy; the latter will get a makeover.

"We're going to make sure it's the next hottest spot," says Khabouth.

Changes will include improvements to sound, sight lines, lighting and balconies.

But not to worry. INK hasn't given up on a new massive party space to replace Guvernment.

Says Khabouth: "We have a plan for something much, much larger - like double the size [of Guvernment]. We're committed to sticking by the scene, and we're committed to continuing what we do best, and that is live shows and electronic dance music."

The club will be downtown, but that's the only location detail Khabouth will divulge, because "we're just going through all the legal stuff. The space is absolutely massive. It will take at least three years [before we open].""

https://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=197929

http://thump.vice.com/en_ca/words/t...history-and-the-future-of-clubbing-in-toronto

http://thump.vice.com/en_ca/words/t...-be-reinvented-as-the-guvernments-replacement

I really like your idea of having an entertainment district over there. One can dream!

Here's a few photos I snapped of Guv outside during it's final night...

Closing Night @ The Guv
by kotsy.in.toronto, on Flickr

Closing Night @ The Guv

Closing Night @ The Guv

Last edited:
they must have gotten it back for Cabana Pool Bar - although it closes at 11pm

Yes - new ownership, major renovations, improved sound insulation and changes to operating practices all took place, and recent operations have been without the type of issues which plagued the community under the former operators.

The point of my comment was that the location is not far enough away from built up areas for there to be no issues about noise and parties. There is a well established residential community quite close to Polson Pier, and loud or outrageous behaviour would have an impact.

Last edited:
The point of my comment was that the location is not far enough away from built up areas for there to be no issues about noise and parties. There is a well established residential community quite close to Polson Pier, and loud or outrageous behaviour would have an impact.

Gee, nothing downtown is far enough away from built up area no more?
...So in other words, there are not many areas downtown left for a mega-club....shame:mad:

Toronto is slowly becoming one big bedroom community, Scary:eek:.....give me the old Toronto anytime, rock clubs, massage parlours, head shops, strip joints, smoking on patios (hehe), etc. etc. etc.

I've spent a lot of time lately with foreign students showing them the city. The biggest complaints they have is the 2am last call and that Toronto is a bit boring. While I showed them that we in fact do have some great bars and clubs, we really need a true entertainment district. Personally I think Polson/Cherry would be the best idea if the issues were to be resolved.

P.s. thanks guys for sharing the pictures!

Back