Re: name Concord Adex's new 42-acre condo project on Sheppar

It's the old Canadian Tire warehouse, more or less beside the Ikea at Leslie.

AoD

Construction beginning spring of this year? Was it approved yet?

Here are some maps of the site.

As for the name, what about The Living Star of Sheppard Residents, Towers 1-18. Or name each tower after a Simpsons character. I'd live in Krusty Kondo... would stay away from Otto's Grotto.

Site Map:
413285239_f3a1048aa0.jpg

Corridor Map:
413280902_01d761ea94.jpg

Think of how awesome City Place North will look like in this picture:
413283051_650871b496.jpg

Makes you wonder why they built a subway beside this in the first place:
413283055_4c8be52527.jpg

Makes you wonder why they built a subway beside this in the first place:
Exactly for this reason - to densify.

^ "Exactly for this reason - to densify."

I know, I'm thrilled about the intensification along Sheppard. The corridor secondary plan, PPS and Growth Plan are pretty consistent from a planning context and the transit service is there to justify density. My comment was more chicken-and-egg rather then built-it-and-they-will-come.

Read somewhere that planners expect upwards to 18,000 new units and 30,000 new residents along the corridor between Bayview and Don Mills. No doubt that Concord will fill the bulk of that.

Does anyone know what the expected density will be for this site?

Sheppardville. Sheppard Village. Leslievilleeeoh wait. um. Concord City.

NoFourTown.

North York East.

Melville?

As for the name, what about The Living Star of Sheppard Residents, Towers 1-18. Or name each tower after a Simpsons character. I'd live in Krusty Kondo... would stay away from Otto's Grotto.

Gummy Sue, Tiffany, Heather, Cody, Dylan, Dermot, Jordan, Taylor, Brittany, Wesley, Rumer, Scout, Cassidy, Zoe, Chloe, Max, Hunter, Rubella Scabies, Kendall, Caitlin, Noah, Sasha, Morgan, Kyra, Ian, Lauren, Q-bert, Condoleezza Marie, Phil, Birthday, Crystal Meth, Dubya, Incest, International Harvester, Jitney, and Witney

...and I guess "International Harvester" will be where the old Crangle's Collision facade will wind up

"Makes you wonder why they built a subway beside this in the first place:"

Well, Fairview and dozens of towers are just a few minutes farther down the line...that's like taking a picture of the golf course next to York Mills station and asking why there's a subway on Yonge. But, yeah, they knew this and other developments would get built, eventually. Many of these new condos will actually be closer to Leslie station while the sites closest to Bessarion are (or were, if Concord Adex changed the site plan) being earmarked for parkland to buffer the few dozen semi-detached houses immediately adjacent to Bessarion that will not be redeveloped any time soon, so Bessarion will remain underused for a long time. Still, it'll take decades of condo construction to come close to making up the ridership from the east that the line lost when it was aborted at Don Mills...and thousands of new residential units are going up east of Don Mills, too.

edit - oh yeah, the name. I propose IKEAville, with each tower being named after an IKEA product...the Ektorp, the Bjursta, the Forsby, the Jokkmokk, the Värde, the Skrvusta, the Aspelund, the Klappsta, the Björkudden, etc., etc.

Re: name

Such a contest begs for irreverancy.

We could continue with our brethren to the west: "The Times Square", "The Wall Street", "The Liberty", "SOHO", "Chelsea", "Upper Upper East Side", "Central Park", "Bowery", "Devil's Kitchen", "Flatbush", "The IRT", "Midtown", "Lincoln Tunnel", "Brooklyn Bridge", and "Yorkville" for that NY-TO touch.

Can't wait. Concords repetitive glass highrises are a lot better than what is currently there (ahem, Dan..... .. ).

Call it "The New Cityplace"

or

"NewCity", or "Cityplace North", or "Cityplace 401"

How about Co-Op City?
2006_03_coopcity.jpg

Come to think of it, *those* towers should be named after Cletus/Brandine's spawn...

Suburban Place, Sheppard (Leslie) Mills, Radiant City, etc...

AoD

Spucklerville

I like the Cletus/Brandine brood idea, which would make the whole area Spucklerville. I'm looking forward to putting that on the map.

cartographic 42

Back